Do you own a treadmill?

Options
AnneElise
AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
I am considering purchasing a treadmill. I had a baby 4 weeks ago and don't see a way to get to the gym as much as I would like. I mostly run/walk outside but like to have an indoor option. My contract is up at the gym in 2 months so I am thinking about a treadmill. I have NO idea what kind to get. Do you have on that you like? I would like to spend between 400-1000 dollars. Thanks!

Replies

• Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Did loads of research before I bought mine. Check out www.treadmilldoctor.com for reviews. By far, the best unit for hte price was the Sole F63. Got great reviews, has a motor equivalent to those in commercial gym models, smooth deck, and can be found for under 1,000 delivered. I have this model, so does my sister, and a few friends bought on my recommendation. We all LOVE them!
  • Noonoo757
    Noonoo757 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    im pretty frugal so i got the GOLDs Gym treadmill it was like $375 pretty awesome though it elevates and has all the speeds and has 6 different workouts as well.
  • springtrio
    springtrio Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I have a (2009 model...I think?) Nordic Track T5 zi. It's the biggest piece of **** you will ever own. Don't buy it. I'm constantly fixing the belt. I joined a gym for the winter time for when I can't possibly run outside. If you absolutely need one, get gym quality. It's worth the price.

In the meantime, go outside and run (baby jogger). More challenging that way.
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Did loads of research before I bought mine. Check out www.treadmilldoctor.com for reviews. By far, the best unit for hte price was the Sole F63. Got great reviews, has a motor equivalent to those in commercial gym models, smooth deck, and can be found for under 1,000 delivered. I have this model, so does my sister, and a few friends bought on my recommendation. We all LOVE them!

I have the same one and I love it also.
  • AnneElise
    Options
    Thanks guys! I will check into those for sure!
  • Texas501
    Texas501 Posts: 274
    Options
    Try Craigslist.org in your city before you drop that much cash. There are a lot of people that buy new treadmills and use them for a week and then they become expensive clothes hangers. They are just trying to get rid of them.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    Consider an elliptical as an option.

http://home.visionfitness.com/elliptical-trainers/x30/simple/

I have both a treadmill and an elliptical. Love my elliptical. I get a better burn for the time I spend (better cardio) and it is very low impact on my knees and ankles.

:smile:
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    I don't know the brand of mine, but it's older, and it folds up, and underneath is a weight bench that pulls down, as well there are 6 weights that hang off the side of it. It's handy for a home gym!

This is almost exactly what mine is, but this one here is really run down... but anyway you get the jusst of it! lol

http://fredericton.bizcaf.ca/Treadmill_and_Weight_Bench_Combo_bizcafAd_46956.dhtml
  • andreahanlon
    andreahanlon Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I have owned 2 treadmills so far. I just went to walmart and bought them -- I always buy cheaper models just due to budgeting. My main advice is to consider storage. I really like the one that stored upright, so I could just put it back and wheel it into the corner when I was finished walking. The newer one does not store nearly as well, so I just leave it set up all the time, but would like if it would store like my last one. (I suppose it depends on where you're keeping it and how often you use the space.) Both of mine were slightly squeeky depending on how I used them (meaning if I stayed near the front, they were okay. If I walked toward the back, they squeeked more). I'm glad to have had treadmills and feel they do help me to exercise more since they are so convenient. I don't have a specific brand to recommend.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    In the meantime - you might consider using walking DVDs. Go to exerciseTV.com and look up Start! Walking 2 Miles - it's free right now. Netflix has several Leslie Sansone walking DVDs for rent.

I used a treadmill for a few years (ProForm ...okay for a cheapy model, kinda loud) ... but I would sub in walking DVDs for variety and came to like those more.
  • AnneElise
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I am going to look on craigslist but what to see what models people like because if I am going to buy one I want it to be worth it.

I like to run (ran some half marathons and plan to again) so for me a treadmill is a better option than an elliptical. I thought about work out DVD's as well but I never feel like I get a good work out doing them so they sit on the shelf.

I do have a good space in our den corner for a treadmill so I think I could leave it set up.
  • jipper44
    jipper44 Posts: 111
    Options
    I understand that you really would prefer a treadmill and the craigslist option is really a good suggestion.

I'm a runner too and I cross train my cardio with biking since it works your legs slightly differently. If you have a bicycle, there are indoor trainers you can get for about $200 that allow you to make your outdoor bike a stationary bike. I personally have the CycleOps2 and it's great for the winter when it gets snowy here in Chicago.