One year ago today...(long post w/ pics)

Options
cardbucfan
cardbucfan Posts: 10,427 Member
I started on MFP one year ago today and this is the (long) story of my success. This is MY story. The weight I started at is some people’s goal weight. Please don’t be offended by my saying I felt fat and out of shape at that weight. Body image is a very personal thing and everybody is different!

I had steadily been putting on a few pounds a year as middle age set in. I thought I looked pretty darn good for a 47 year old mother of 2! Then I looked at some vacation pictures. The first one was from a cruise I took with my son and a friend and her daughter in March. I vividly remember getting ready for dinner that night and thinking “I look GOOD!”. Then I saw the picture. Holy cow. I looked FAT!

Carribean2520Cruise252020102520070-1.jpg

Then I started looking at pictures from our family trip that summer. We go on adventure vacations and I have a set of what I call vacation clothes-zip off pants, cargo shorts, wicking t-shirts and polos. When we were in Yosemite, some of the pants that had always fit so well were a little snug. Some of them downright didn’t fit!

DSC_0774.jpg

DSC_0613.jpg

Well, I worked out often and thought I ate pretty healthy. Every time I would read an article about losing weight I would think “well, I already eat whole wheat bread, rarely eat pasta or white rice, don't drink soda, I eat plenty of vegetables and fruit” so none of the tips for easy weight loss applied to me. I was absolutely convinced that the weight gain was due to an underactive thyroid (I had half of it removed 14 years ago) and that I needed to go on medication. I decided to call my doctor and have my thyroid tested but I knew the first thing she would ask was “have you been keeping a food diary?” which of course I hadn’t. So I got on my phone looking for a food diary app with the absolute certainty that I would show her that I ate great! I found MFP and it seemed perfect. The problem with food diaries that I have always tried to keep in the past was looking up all the data for everything I ate. The database on MFP was so huge that wasn’t an issue. I made my doctor’s appointment and started logging. The day I started, I was 5’9” and weighed 157.7 lb.s Almost 160! I wore a size 12 pants or a tight size 10 and medium to large tops. I hadn’t weighed that much since right after giving birth.

Well, what do you know? I wasn’t eating quite as healthy as I thought! Not so much the quality of what I ate but the quantity! Wow. Talk about eye-opening. I was basically trying to keep up with my 6’3” husband and teenage boys. Not a good thing. My husband also likes his “fun food”. So we had doughnuts once a week, had to have “fun food” for dinner every Friday night. I would be really good about planning meals but at the drop of a hat could be convinced to get take-out. I was shocked when I calculated what some of my usual take-out meals went for!

By the time I went to my doctor, I had been keeping a food diary for 4 weeks and had lost 7 lbs.! She was almost more excited than I was. I changed my goal from 142 which had always been my previous happy weight (but truly I always felt like I needed to lose another 7-10 lbs.) to 135. I reached 135.2 lbs. in March. I have been increasing my strength training and trying to figure out the right amount to eat and my weight has fluctuated up and down by about 5 lbs. since then. This is the new me!

IMG_0017-6.jpg

IMG_0003-4-1.jpg

I have to say if I can do this YOU CAN TOO! I am now 48 and in the best shape of my life. I DO have an underactive thyroid (now taking medication for it) and a husband who still wants “fun food”, doughnuts and take-out. I’ve learned that you can’t make others eat healthy and it’s up to me what I put in my mouth. I have also learned what my trigger foods are. I absolutely cannot have cookies or cookie dough in my house. I do not have the control to just eat one. I lost my weight by eating in moderation. I have tried every diet under the sun over the years and have lost weight. Then I would gain it right back. This is the first time I feel like I can maintain the loss because I haven’t been so restrictive and this approach works for me.

For the first time in my life I am HAPPY with my body. I will tell anybody who asks how much I weigh. I have accepted my body style and know its shortcomings. I’ll never have washboard abs because I don’t wish to eat the way you need to for that. I have wide hip bones and don’t feel comfortable in skinny jeans. I’M O.K. WITH ALL OF THAT! I wear a size 6 in pants, shorts and dresses (and some 4’s!) and a small in tops. I can do boy pushups! My cardio endurance is pretty amazing. My new goals are to work on are increased strength, toning and flexibility. I also need to change my mindset. I still think of myself as needing to lose weight. I’ll hear a weight watchers commercial or some other diet aid and think “oh, I should try that” before I remember that I don’t want to lose any more weight!

What I can say to anybody else trying to do this is first of all take before pictures and measurements. Play with your calories until you know what works for YOU. Everybody is different and what works for me may not work for you. I will be on MFP for life because I know it will be very easy for me to start eating too much-I saw it on vacation so this is something I have to fight. But it is a habit for me now and no big deal to log. Thanks to all my MFP friends and thanks MFP!

IMG_0080-1.jpg

Replies

• cardbucfan
    Options
    Alright, let me fix the pictures!
  • cardbucfan
    Options
    I started on MFP one year ago today and this is the (long) story of my success. This is MY story. The weight I started at is some people’s goal weight. Please don’t be offended by my saying I felt fat and out of shape at that weight. Body image is a very personal thing and everybody is different!

I had steadily been putting on a few pounds a year as middle age set in. I thought I looked pretty darn good for a 47 year old mother of 2! Then I looked at some vacation pictures. The first one was from a cruise I took with my son and a friend and her daughter in March. I vividly remember getting ready for dinner that night and thinking “I look GOOD!”. Then I saw the picture. Holy cow. I looked FAT!

Then I started looking at pictures from our family trip that summer. We go on adventure vacations and I have a set of what I call vacation clothes-zip off pants, cargo shorts, wicking t-shirts and polos. When we were in Yosemite, some of the pants that had always fit so well were a little snug. Some of them downright didn’t fit!

Well, I worked out often and thought I ate pretty healthy. Every time I would read an article about losing weight I would think “well, I already eat whole wheat bread, rarely eat pasta or white rice, I eat plenty of vegetables and fruit” so none of the tips for easy weight loss applied to me. I was absolutely convinced that the weight gain was due to an underactive thyroid (I had half of it removed 14 years ago) and that I needed to go on medication. I decided to call my doctor and have my thyroid tested but I knew the first thing she would ask was “have you been keeping a food diary?” which of course I hadn’t. So I got on my phone looking for a food diary app with the absolute certainty that I would show her that I ate great! I found MFP and it seemed perfect. The problem with food diaries that I have always tried to keep in the past was looking up all the data for everything I ate. The database on MFP was so huge that wasn’t an issue. I made my doctor’s appointment and started logging. The day I started, I was 5’9” and weighed 157.7 lb.s Almost 160! I hadn’t weighed that much since right after giving birth.

Well, what do you know? I wasn’t eating quite as healthy as I thought! Not so much the quality of what I ate but the quantity! Wow. Talk about eye-opening. I was basically trying to keep up with my 6’3” husband and teenage boys. Not a good thing. My husband also likes his “fun food”. So we had doughnuts once a week, had to have “fun food” for dinner every Friday night. I would be really good about planning meals but at the drop of a hat could be convinced to get take-out. I was shocked when I calculated what some of my usual take-out meals went for!

By the time I went to my doctor, I had been keeping a food diary for 4 weeks and had lost 7 lbs.! She was almost more excited than I was. I changed my goal from 142 which had always been my previous happy weight (but truly I always felt like I needed to lose another 7-10 lbs.) to 135. I reached 135.2 lbs. in March. I have been increasing my strength training and trying to figure out the right amount to eat and my weight has fluctuated up and down by about 5 lbs. since then. This is the new me!

I have to say if I can do this YOU CAN TOO! I am now 48 and in the best shape of my life. I have an underactive thyroid and a husband who still wants “fun food”, doughnuts and take-out. I’ve learned that you can’t make others eat healthy and it’s up to me what I put in my mouth. I have also learned what my trigger foods are. I absolutely cannot have cookies or cookie dough in my house. I do not have the control to just eat one. I lost my weight by eating in moderation. I have tried every diet under the sun over the years and have lost weight. Then I would gain it right back. This is the first time I feel like I can maintain the loss because I haven’t been so restrictive and this approach works for me.

For the first time in my life I am HAPPY with my body. I will tell anybody who asks how much I weigh. I have accepted my body style and know its shortcomings. I’ll never have washboard abs because I don’t wish to eat the way you need to for that. I have wide hip bones and don’t feel comfortable in skinny jeans. I’M O.K. WITH ALL OF THAT! I wear a size 6 in pants, shorts and dresses (and some 4’s!) and a small in tops. I can do boy pushups! My cardio endurance is pretty amazing. My new things to work on are increased toning and flexibility. I also need to change my mindset. I still think of myself as needing to lose weight. I’ll hear a weight watchers commercial or some other diet aid and think “oh, I should try that” before I remember that I don’t want to lose any more weight! And guess what? My thyroid was underactive too and my doctor ended up putting me on a very low dose of medication to even that out!
  • cardbucfan
    Options
    grrr
  • jamie78
    jamie78 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jennyocox
    jennyocox Posts: 143
    Options
    Please do. I'm dying to see them!!
  • kaaatielove
    kaaatielove Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    Bump :)
  • LessMe2B
    LessMe2B Posts: 316
    Options
    bump
  • cardbucfan
    Options
    O.K., I think I fixed the pictures!
  • TheMrsBee
    TheMrsBee Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Well done you!! you look fabulous!! keep it up!! x:flowerforyou:
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    You look great, and show that my goal is possible.

I'm very similar. After giving birth, I was around 165. I know that's less than some people's goal weight, but I've always been active and somewhat small, so I wasn't happy there. After my first pregnancy I got down to 132. That's my first goal for now (still about 10 lbs to go). Once I get there, I'll decide if I need to go for more.

Thanks so much for sharing!
  • you have done an awesome job! it takes a spark to make you seriously analyse what is actually going wrong.
    This is an aspiring post, you look fantastic! you can see how hard you have worked. It is harder for those just slightly overweight to get to their goal weight rather than those in in the obese category to start losing pounds.
    I still have a long way to go to match you but I hope to one day soon!
  • Coco_Puff
    Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Wonderful job!!!!! I'm 53 and it is so great to see that we can look forward to living young as we age. There's no need for old lady clothes here, EVER!!!!!!!!
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Congrats and great job! You look so happy in your new pics and that is what really is important! <3

I'm so happy for you and I feel inspired to reach my goal! Thanks for the great post. :)
  • muitobem
    muitobem Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!!!! I was 48 last year when i decided, I still needed to lose beyond the 50lbs I had already lost(you can see my before pic at my heaviest on my profile) I lost that first 50 from 2002-2003...

And last year, 2010, I decided I needed more to lose...I didn't know about MFP at the time but I went to a personal trainer for a diet and exercise program. From July 2010 to March 2011 I had lost 30lbs. I gained 8lbs of that back and then discovered MFP...I'm now back on track and since being on here, I've lost that 8lbs plus 1lb...(9lbs...YAY!!)

I feel the best I've ever felt and I'm now 49yrs old...I have been instructing Zumba for almost a year now and doing other workouts along with...I don't plan on stopping!!! It's a LIFETIME commitment and if you drop off that commitment, you go back to what you were!!!

Not happening again!!
  • PrixFit84
    Options
    you look amazing!
  • helenium
    helenium Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Where can I get a pair of your collarbones :laugh:
  • Nica_LosN_It
    Nica_LosN_It Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I love it!!! You have done a magnificent job!!! I would also like to get a pair of your collar bones, too:blushing: :laugh:
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I totally understand! You look fantastic. Your story is very similar to mine. Congratulations!:flowerforyou:
  • econn
    econn Posts: 157
    Options
    Congratulations!! You look happy and amazing :))
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!