Cardio vs. weight training

Options
If I don't lift weights and I just do cardio workouts, when I lose the weight will I be able to keep it off? Or should I also be doing weight training?

Replies

• treyatime
    Options
    I have the same issue. It's hard to incorporate strength training for lack of time but im told it will expedite the weight loss.
  • SarahNicole317
    SarahNicole317 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Scrolls down on this link and look at my before and afters.

I am the same weight in both pictures. The picture on the left was losing weight with cardio and diet, the picture on the right was lifting weights and eating clean.

http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/fargy317/
  • bearsfan2334
    Options
    bump
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Strength training has a LOT of benefits. First, it raises your resting metabolism. Not sure by how much but if I'm sitting here with 100 pounds of muscle I'll burn more than by sitting here with 80 pounds of muscle and 20lbs of fat. (I do NOT weight 100lbs FYI). Next, it's actually been shown to improve bone mass which helps with aging. Weight training also helps maintain muscle as we lose, especially as you get closer to your goal. You body likes to hold on to fat and will burn muscle just to keep some fat. Weight training minimizes the muscle loss. Lastly, it just makes you look good! No one wants to be "skinny fat".
  • dakoerber
    dakoerber Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    A pound of muscle burns 6 calories at rest while a lb of fat burns 2. I say add muscle!
  • sunnyrunner23
    sunnyrunner23 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I need to read this later!!! bump
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    And strength training also increase your cardio vascular strength. Have you tried doing back to back sets? That gets my heart rate up just as much as any cardio. All excessive cardio does is stress the body out.

You can get all the necessary health benefits from strength training (LIFT HEAVY THINGS!!)

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/case-against-cardio/
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/chronic-cardio/
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I lost weight running, but I lost sizes weight training. One isn't more valuable than the other, it's good balance of both IMHO.
  • TiffanyA2008
    Options
    Bump
  • thebunnies
    thebunnies Posts: 168
    Options
    for my iPhone users.. seriously, get Nike Training Camp for your phone. It's amazing. 15-minute strength workouts.. VERY effective. it's made my workout that much more beneficial. i noticed differences in my body with only one week of doing 1 or 2 workouts a day, plus regular cardio.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    as hpsnickers alluded to, you can get a combined strength training/cardio work-out by: (a) doing super sets or a circuit of exercises (i.e., 2 or more resistance exercises without rest in between); and (b) increasing the intensity of your resistance training so that you're working hard throughout each set ... and not just running through a set of 10 or something.
  • ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Do both!
  • T0M0
    T0M0 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Bump. Very interesting read. I'm at the point where I'm in maintenance but need to tone.
  • dawnxoxo1
    Options
    I know I burn lots of calories doing weight training. Why when you log your weight training in my fitness pal exercise log doesn't it count the calories you would burn doing those exercises???
  • Crystal_R84
    Crystal_R84 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Make sure to do both! You can switch it up daily. One day do sprint/walk intervals for 20 mins. than lift some weights hitting each muscle group...you don't have to lift heavy but it's important to constantly change up workout routines because your body can get used to it and that is when progress stops. I do AOS (art of strength) training at my gym and it's super exciting and always a hardcore workout. You don't have to be super fit or athletic to do this so I highly recommend you try it! =-)
  • mattellis2
    mattellis2 Posts: 152
    Options
    tag
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I know I burn lots of calories doing weight training. Why when you log your weight training in my fitness pal exercise log doesn't it count the calories you would burn doing those exercises???

There's a "strength training" entry in the cardio database.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    bump
  • XDoodlebugger
    XDoodlebugger Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I was curious about that myself. What I do is wear a HRM while lifting, and as others posters have suggested I do supersets so my heart rate stays in my target zone.

I then log the results as cardio so I get to deduct the calories.