Belly flap measurements

I measured my belly flap for the first time this morning. I measured around my hips but over the flap, and then I measured from navel to pubic bone (like at the end of pregnancy).

I am not sure what would be considered success though - as I have lost weight the flap has gotten lower which may mean that the numbers are gonna grow?

Any thoughts?

Replies

• HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    I don't think so - think of a circle being pulled into an oval - the length of the string doesn't get longer as the inside gets thinner. Plus now think of the reduction in fat - it will get smaller/shorter to some degree too!

I've heard that "dry brushing" really helps your body reabsorb some of the skin during and after weight loss. My plastic surgeon said it does work just that it won't do all of it for ever one depending on age and genetics...
  • I've heard that "dry brushing" really helps your body reabsorb some of the skin during and after weight loss. My plastic surgeon said it does work just that it won't do all of it for ever one depending on age and genetics...

Dry Brushing?
  • What is dry brushing? I'm very interested in this!
  • arykh24
    arykh24 Posts: 64
    I measure by "fat roll" like that also. Mine has gotten a little smaller...but I don't think it will go away completely. I just measure it because I was curious to know if it would shrink.
  • cthigpen
    cthigpen Posts: 13 Member
    What is dry brushing?
  • Sonchie
    Sonchie Posts: 259 Member
    oh the lovely flap! I call it along with the stretchmarks, my battle scars. :-/
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    I wish I had measured it 18 lbs ago -but oh well, too late now cause I'm not going back up.
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Dry brushing is a way to stimulate the skin to help with healing. The simplest explanation is to take a soft horse brush and "scrub" your lose skin in a circular pattern. You'll get a pink "glow" if you do it right vs. irritation or broken skin if you over do it. After dry brushing you can apply a good lotion to keep the skin happy. My understanding is that the reason this "fails" and isn't well known is that you need to do it daily and people just lose interest and/or forget to keep up with it.

Plus it doesn't have a fancy name and it doesn't require any special equipment... Although at SOME point we'll see an ad for "This simple trick to get rid of your excess skin" and then a product you can buy for $49.99 LOL!

edited to add that you want to use a brush not exfolient or scrubs - there's something about the fibers brushing against the layers - pressure on the deeper layers? Also don't STRETCH the skin while you brush it.
  • AshDHart
    AshDHart Posts: 818 Member
    I measured my belly flap for the first time this morning. I measured around my hips but over the flap, and then I measured from navel to pubic bone (like at the end of pregnancy).

Never thought about the navel to pubic bone. I think I will do that as I'm curious now.
  • I measured my belly flap for the first time this morning. I measured around my hips but over the flap, and then I measured from navel to pubic bone (like at the end of pregnancy).

Never thought about the navel to pubic bone. I think I will do that as I'm curious now.

Ash, me too! Just never thought of it before. And I'm sure as heckle & jeckle gonna do the "dry brushing" thing!! One of my mental roadblocks in the past regarding major weight loss has been fear of gobs of loose saggy skin. I finally decided if it came to that I'd just cave and get a tummy tuck after reaching goal. But, the healing process after that can be really long, with drainage tubes, etc, so if I can avoid surgery *and* not have a disgusting amount of hanging droopy skin on my belly, I will be SO freakin happy!!

I'm guessing it should also work to help avoid saggy boob & upper arm skin. :::hopinghopinghoping:::