So, I have this friend...

Options
2»

Replies

• dm9227
    dm9227 Posts: 3
    Options
    Let him be… He will stop loosing weight using the drops if he fails to follow the recommended food, that sets him up for failure. He will probably blame the drops for his failure and you would have never said a word. I know several people who have used the HCG drops and they do work (one friend lost 110lbs). But the diet usually gets to everyone at some point, it got to me after dropping 45 lbs in 60 days. I have been able to maintain my loss and it did help me get a jump start on my weight loss. Now trying to eat healthy and exercise to take the weight off slowly.

If you have a good relationship with your Boss then talk to him. He will not take it as a negative (if you already have a good relationship). It shows that you are taking an interest in a common goal and you are willing to help. Fact is the support of people around him will help him succeed, perhaps thats why you come to this board? It's a win-win if approached correctly.
  • l3ugjuice
    l3ugjuice Posts: 233
    Options
    Guess I should add that him and I are pretty casual with each other. It wouldn't be the first time we've discussed more personal issues.

That's fine, but you have to understand the risks you are taking when you discuss health issues with a coworker...particuarly when the health issue(s) belongs to the coworker you are speaking to. Disabilities are a protected class under the ADA, which was recently revised to include damn near everything.

So say something about their health issue that pisses them off, regardless of how 'casual' you have been in the past....once you piss them off about it, it's going to be your problem.

It's no different than having an affair with a coworker. It's all fine and good so long as you two get along, but hopefully when you split up...well, hopefully you arent the man; because it's not going to end well.

So again, my advice remains: dont.
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice. I think I am going to sit back and watch for right now and quietly keep an eye on what he's eating to ensure that he's doing it properly and I may say something if I see anything majorly wrong. I do see a lot of soda in his office though =/. We'll see, thanks again!

And yes, I have a hard time believing in 'fad' diets - no carb, low carb, low calorie, juice fasts, etc etc. because I modified my diet (partially for health reasons with my gallbladder) by eating less red meat and fats, and stuck around 1,200-1,300 calories per day, and I've noticeably trimmed up.
  • l3ugjuice
    l3ugjuice Posts: 233
    Options
    I hear ya, I have a hard time believing in the diets myself. I have even more problems with the 'magic pills' that people take to lose weight/suppress appetite/boost metabolism/whatever. I am this way because I've seen too many medical records for heart valve damage from fenphen & meridia, liver damage from hydroxycut, etc.

But I've also been on MFP for about 6 months now, and I see how 'attached' people get to their diet of choice. They see it almost like a family member, and really do not take too kindly to anyone who disagrees with them.

At the end of the day, they really do not want to hear it. Now, that doesnt mean I wont reply on a messageboard. In some ways it's entertaining to watch those fights, or even chime in from the popcorn gallery to egg the argument on.

But I'd never do it in the workplace as it's just a completely different environment legally. Particularly so with the ADA and now GINA to worry about. You really can not have a simple 'friendly' conversation with a coworker anymore, not without risking your job anyway. Just not a good risk to take, IMO.
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Well it's touchy because it is your boss however you can just point out or give suggestions on good foods and how you're doing it. You said he had knee problems? He can get cardio in by doing punches. Ya know, bring it up by saying you've noticed he's lost weight, ask how and give suggestions. You can't force him to do anything you can only hope he makes the right choice :/
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Homeopathic hCG for weight control

Controversy about, and shortages of, injected hCG for weight loss have led to substantial Internet promotion of "homeopathic hCG" for weight control. The ingredients in these products are often obscure, but if prepared from true hCG via homeopathic dilution, they contain either no hCG at all or only trace amounts.

The United States Food and Drug Administration has stated that this drug is fraudulent and ineffective for weight loss. It is also not protected as a homeopathic drug and has been deemed an illegal substance
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Give it a few weeks, keep an eye on his health. When you see that he is less energetic, pale. listless etc. and the novelty of the drops has worn off, ask him if he is ok. Tell him that he looks kinda pale and is not acting as usual. Open the discussion with concern for his health and well being....but try not to "preach" to him. Get him to ask you questions. Then the chances are that he won't feel pushed or railroaded and resentful of your tactful intervention.

God only knows what are in those drops.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    He must know to take supplements in order not to drop dead from this kind of diet. I think if you want to talk to him it could be about what he recommends.. You dont want to get on the boss' bad side.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    unsolicited advice is not cool
    X2.
    Yes you've talked personal issues, but maybe he was comfortable talking about it.
    He might not be comfortable talking about this.
    He is your boss, and I wouldn't do it, unless he opens the door and starts to talk to you about the drops he is taking.
    Then that's a different story, and I would then think you are ok to share what you know, but until then.