I want to learn to be a runner!

Options
2»

Replies

• killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    So by specialty shoe store were not talking about foot locker or anything right? I live in WI near Milwaukee, what type of store should I be looking for?

Not sure if this is convenient(it's near Milwaukee), but a store like this:
    http://www.rodiezsrunningstore.com/
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    So by specialty shoe store were not talking about foot locker or anything right? I live in WI near Milwaukee, what type of store should I be looking for?

hey neighbor! I'm just north of Milwaukee!

http://www.performancerunning.com/
    There's one on Oakland and one out in Brookfield on Callhoun Rd (it's really right off North Ave, way out there).

Edit: I've only been to the one on Callhoun.
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    ^^ gotta love misinformation on tomatoes. Read the studies. :grumble:

Also, you should Proooobabyly find a job where you spend less time on your knees and more time in the upright position. Just saying.
  • killagb
    Options
    Also, you should Proooobabyly find a job where you spend less time on your knees and more time in the upright position. Just saying.

Oooh....no you didn't! lol :bigsmile:
  • delherts
    Options
    I never thought I would be a runner: when i first started i couldnt run 10 minutes! it helped me shift 60lb of weight and now after a few years I have run over 40 half marathons, marathons and 10ks.....
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    I never thought I would be a runner: when i first started i couldnt run 10 minutes! it helped me shift 60lb of weight and now after a few years I have run over 40 half marathons, marathons and 10ks.....

I want to marry you!!
    Please say yes!!
    :love:
  • Shani262
    Shani262 Posts: 68 Member
    Options

Oooh....no you didn't! lol :bigsmile:
    [/quote

Wow! I dont know if I should be offended or laugh.
  • Shani262
    Options
    Thanks for the great advice everyone! I did my first c25k this morning and loved it. Thanks again.
  • killagb
    Options
    Thanks for the great advice everyone! I did my first c25k this morning and loved it. Thanks again.

Great, congrats! :bigsmile:
  • runningathena
    runningathena Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your first day of C25K! Everyone else gave good advice, I'll just throw in a few things:

1. Chocolate milk is a great recovery drink (not even joking, read about it)! I like Trumoo fat-free choco milk. A little goes a long way. Drink it within 30 minutes of your workout for the best results.
    2. Be kind to yourself - not every day will be a great running day. Bad runs happen to all of us.
    3. Rest days are just as important as hard running days.
    4. Cross-training (Pilates, swimming, yoga, 30DS, cycling, skating, whatever) will help your running. Especially core strengthening exercises.
    5. Protein is your friend. Carbs are too.
    6. Don't try to run too fast too soon - work on building your endurance for now. Speed will come later.
    7. Sign up for a 5K down the road and use that goal to motivate you throughout the program. I have found that without a race to look forward to, I'm not that interested in running just to run.
    8. Most importantly - HAVE FUN and enjoy the journey... it's just as important, if not more so, than the destination :)
  • ratkaj
    ratkaj Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    walking is the best exercise. Compared to running, you will burn the same amount of calories when you walk.

I'm sorry but your statement is very deceiving. You should do your research before saying blanket statements like this. See artical attached:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-304-311-8402-0,00.html

"In fact, I had read years ago that fast walking burns more calories than running at the same speed. Now was the time to test this hypothesis. Wearing a heart-rate monitor, I ran on a treadmill for two minutes at 3.0 mph (20 minutes per mile), and at 3.5, 4.0, 4.5, 5.0, and 5.5 mph (10:55 per mile). After a 10-minute rest to allow my heart rate to return to normal, I repeated the same thing walking. Here's my running vs. walking heart rate at the end of each two-minute stint: 3.0 (99/81), 3.5 (104/85), 4.0 (109/94), 4.5 (114/107), 5.0 (120/126), 5.5 (122/145). My conclusion: Running is harder than walking at paces slower than 12-minutes-per-mile. At faster paces, walking is harder than running."
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Only run because you want to and because you love it. If you THINK you should run because you should for any other reason don't do it
    That was my reaction. Runners run b/c they love it. It would be wonderful if I loved to run. It's a relatively cheap way to get great exercise. But I hate it.
  • mikethom
    mikethom Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    In Canada there is a chain called "Running Room" they are a great organization, they all offer running and walking classes, many geared to prepare you for an upcoming event. Check out their website http://www.runningroom.com/hm/

The owner John Stanton has a wonderful success story (http://www.runningroom.com/hm/inside.php?id=3035), and is a great public speaker. He has written several good books on Running and Walking (http://www.runningroom.com/hm/inside.php?id=2579).

I like how the staff are very friendly and for those of us who are not elite runners (or even walkers :-) they are friendly and encouraging. In addition to their classes they also have walking and running clubs that just go out together. They have a great sense of community, sponsoring local events and encouraging a healthier lifestyle.
  • Shani262
    Options
    Everyone on here has been so wonderful! I cant wait to start week 2 of c25k. I am signed up for a couple 5k's that i do every year but maybe i can finally run one. Thanks again everyone for your motivation!
  • wackynunu
    wackynunu Posts: 103
    Options
    I started running in my 30s. I have had knee issues since I was a teenager so I never thought I could be a "runner". I run 3 times a week now for about an hour with 1 minute walking intervals every 10 to 20 minutes.

3 tips:

Weight train.
    Run SLOW to start.
    Do a C25K program that works runing into your walking and builds up gradually.

A knee brace might help also, but I haven't had luck finding one that provides enough support without cutting off my circulation.