workout scare?

Options
Ok so I have REALLY been pushing myself the last few days and today I did my normal work out 10-15 min on the total gym, upper body and then 1 hour on the treadclimber...I was going between 1.5 and 3 MPH and my heart rate was 190;s - 214's...I was doing GREAT burned 1000 calories ( Polar F6) but when I stopped I was REALLY HOTT and I had a really strong scent of ammonia? I took a cold shower and felt much better but I was wondering can you get TO hott?

Replies

• beautifulnow
    Options
    Ok so I have REALLY been pushing myself the last few days and today I did my normal work out 10-15 min on the total gym, upper body and then 1 hour on the treadclimber...I was going between 1.5 and 3 MPH and my heart rate was 190;s - 214's...I was doing GREAT burned 1000 calories ( Polar F6) but when I stopped I was REALLY HOTT and I had a really strong scent of ammonia? I took a cold shower and felt much better but I was wondering can you get TO hott?
  • Jillian
    Options
    190-214? I don't think that's healthy. You should go to a doctor.:noway:
  • 190-214? I don't think that's healthy. You should go to a doctor.:noway:

Yeah, what she said!! :)
  • REB89
    REB89 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    agreed! If you were working out for an hour at thi heart rate, that isn't healthy!
  • cherapple
    cherapple Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I always try to keep it below 170 at the most, and even that would probably be pushing it for most people. If I were at 190 or over, I think I'd be having a heart attack.
  • EvilPIB
    EvilPIB Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I own a treadclimber and use it just about every day (45-60min @ 3.1 mph) but I don't let my heart rate get past 160. My calorie buring zone is between 145 - 160. You might want to find out what your's is along with checking with your MD to see if you require medical intervention for heart rate.

That doesn't sound normal and seem's to high to be safe
  • mdcroft
    mdcroft Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    You really should get checked out, but that being said...

My heartrate is regularly in the 190s, I'm in great shape and have been working out regularly for a few years now. I asked my doc about it, and she said there are a couple things to pay attention to.

1. Does your heart rate drop quickly, or stay high for a long time after finishing the workout?
    2. Are you experiencing dizziness or anything else out of the norm while working out?

In my case she said I shouldn't worry unless it climbs above 210. Some people just have hearts that beat faster.

I only mention it to point out that everyone is different. Get checked out though! :smile:
  • shanwow16
    shanwow16 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    find out what your resting heartrate is and than find a website that will calculate your target heartrate. Everyone is different based on their age, fitness level, etc.

I am 25 and my RHR is 58 bpm, my THR is 146-160 bpm, my max is 190 bpm.
  • raincloud
    raincloud Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    How do you guys find out what your target heartrate is? Is it just the standard age thing?
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    How do you guys find out what your target heartrate is? Is it just the standard age thing?
    Yea it does have to do with age... when I joined the gym they did a great workup on all my stats and that's how I got mine.

I'm quite sure if someone doesn't jump in and explain it here you can Google for the chart for your heart rate, target heart rate, etc.... It's always best to workout in a certain percentage of your heart rate to keep it aerobic otherwise to high and it becomes aneorbic (sp) which is ok but not the one that burns fat if that's what a person is going for....
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    the basic formula is
    220-age= max heartrate
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    the basic formula is
    220-age= max heartrate
    so if that's the max.... means you don't want to be working in the max right? but like 80% of it or something?
  • Wynnie
    Wynnie Posts: 225 Member
    Options

Not standard in any way. It's "your" RHR. Take it sometime when you've been sitting for a while and not exerting yourself.

And btw, it's also true what another person said - some people have unusually high RHR. Mine is very high and has been my whole life. I just measured 80 and I've been sitting and chatting for a couple of hours. So it's not unusual for me to be over 200 when exerting myself, but it also drops back to normal pretty quickly after exercise.

For the original question, ...if you have any doubts at all about how you're feeling, you could ask your doctor for a stress test and discuss with him/her what you posted. Better to be safe.

Oh der - just saw you asked for target rate, not RHR. That is a standard formula, yes, but it's best to base it on your own RHR if you know it.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    you can google heart rate calculators.

here's one:

http://www.primusweb.com/fitnesspartner/library/activity/thr.htm
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    You're dehydrated, miss! Go drink some water until your pee is almost clear, STAT!

As far as the HR...no one here can tell you what is normal for YOUR body, nor can we determine whether your HRM is functioning correctly. Monitor your resting heart rate by taking your pulse each morning. It's a good idea to see your general doctor before starting an exercise program as well so they can determine whether you might have high blood pressure.
  • kelhun1
    kelhun1 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Here's an article about the ammonia smell:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ammonia.htm

And here's one on heat exhaustion:

http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/healthy/firstaid/basics/088.html

Here's a target heart rate calculator:

http://www.healthatoz.com/healthatoz/Atoz/tl/cl/thr/heartrate.jsp

Hope this gives you some answers...
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    :glasses:
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

Don't overlook the obvious--maybe the battery on your HRM is going out and you are getting erroneous readings. I have a Polar F11 and it started doing the same thing after a while. I switched to an older chest strap and went back to normal readings. (Now that one is dying, along with the watch--but I hate to give it up to send it in for battery replacements--that's my only serious quarrel w/Polar).
  • slimkitty
    slimkitty Posts: 418
    Options
    Don't push yourself so hard. Working out harder and longer is not necessarily better without the proper rest and nourishment.
    Ammonia is a byproduct of the breakdown of amino acids. It means your body did not have enough carbohydrates for energy and started breaking down protein (muscle tissue). Obviuosly not a good thing, since we all need to preserve our muscles and burn fat.

I don't know about your heart rate. I don't think you need to run to the doctor. You were pushing yourself way beyond what you are used to. If it happens again, it would be wise to call a doctor, but really I think you need to scale down on your workouts.
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    DECEMBER 08 post.

I am sorry, I bumped it for another member due to some of the info!!:flowerforyou: