Creatine anyone?

Options
I am looking into adding creatine to my diet for help in my exercises. Currently, I do Body Pump 3 days a week - Mondays, Wednesdays, & Saturdays - and do Cardio exercises such as Zumba and a Step class as well as Yoga every now and then. I have been doing these things for well over 6 months and feel like I should be doing more weight especially in Body Pump. I just wondered in creatine would give me the boost I need to increase my strength and endurance in all fitness areas. I'm just hesitant to take it because I'm afraid of gaining weight. Would it help me tone up at all? Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated! TIA! :bigsmile:

Replies

• 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I am looking into adding creatine to my diet for help in my exercises. Currently, I do Body Pump 3 days a week - Mondays, Wednesdays, & Saturdays - and do Cardio exercises such as Zumba and a Step class as well as Yoga every now and then. I have been doing these things for well over 6 months and feel like I should be doing more weight especially in Body Pump. I just wondered in creatine would give me the boost I need to increase my strength and endurance in all fitness areas. I'm just hesitant to take it because I'm afraid of gaining weight. Would it help me tone up at all? Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated! TIA! :bigsmile:

It will help with strenth and endurance but your weight will go up a bit from water retention in your muscles. If you don't mind seeing the numbers on the scale up a bit, give it a shot.
  • FaithsVegWorkout
    Options
    Two different guys I used to work with used Creatine for a while and acted like total b*^$@es while they were on it.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options

It will help with strenth and endurance but your weight will go up a bit from water retention in your muscles. If you don't mind seeing the numbers on the scale up a bit, give it a shot.

It was my understanding that you actually have to drink a TON to counteract dehydration. T/F?
  • dfrazier77
    Options
    I am testing it now. Definitely gives me an extra boost on weights. But I get my biggest boosts from switching my routine and adding twists to my workout. (eg. closing my grip on bench press)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

It was my understanding that you actually have to drink a TON to counteract dehydration. T/F?

Yes, when I took Creatine back in 2001, you were supposed to drink 4L -5L of water/day (128-160 floz). I had to pee every 45-60 minutes all day. I did manage to gain 8 lbs while on it but once I went off I dropped 4 lbs in a couple days.
  • RdySetGO11
    RdySetGO11 Posts: 89 Member
    Options

I don't mind it going up as long as I'm toning up. I just don't want to get "fat" from taking it lol. But I feel like I could get more out of my workouts, especially Pump because my muscles fatigue quickly :(
  • rocketpants
    rocketpants Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I have done a few cycles of it. I do notice a small difference. You definitely feel the pump more and your muscles are more defined due to retained water. I usually gain around 3-5 lbs of water weight. Pay more for the micronized vs the monohydrate.

It is super important to pay attention to hydration when using this.

If you are not already lifting to failure with heavy weight, then you will probably not see much difference with this product.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options

I would not recommend anyone take any supplement that they do not fully understand what it does, how it works, and its effects. Look into these things and then have at it. This is nothing against creatine either, I take it myself. Just know what you are putting in your body, and why.
  • End6ame
    Options
    I have done a few cycles of it. I do notice a small difference. You definitely feel the pump more and your muscles are more defined due to retained water. I usually gain around 3-5 lbs of water weight. Pay more for the micronized vs the monohydrate.

It is super important to pay attention to hydration when using this.

If you are not already lifting to failure with heavy weight, then you will probably not see much difference with this product.

You don’t need to lift to failure. There is very little to be gained by lifting to failure with or without creatine.
  • rocketpants
    rocketpants Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I would not recommend anyone take any supplement that they do not fully understand what it does, how it works, and its effects. Look into these things and then have at it. This is nothing against creatine either, I take it myself. Just know what you are putting in your body, and why.

That is sage advice sir!! I completely agree
  • Michellerw1
    Options
    Creatine will help with short burst anaerobic excercises (90 seconds or less). That is why it is popular with weight lifters/body builders. But if you are looking for stamina for cardio or lifting there are other supplements that would suit you better.
  • alleyag
    alleyag Posts: 142
    Options

Couldn't have been put any better. Do your research. I take creatine myself. There are many versions and options out there. Timing matters, dosage matters, what you take with it. All make big impacts. I personally take creatine kre alkalyn. There is close to zero water retention and small dosage associated with this one. I've also used the monohydrate and found results similar, but I did not enjoy the bloating effect. either route you take make sure you understand what you are putting into your body. you only get one.
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options

True, but I've heard that creatine pumps water into your muscles though, not into your organs, blood or skin. So you need to take extra water to make sure everything stays nice and hydrated when you muscles start hogging your water water.

Even when I'm not trying to bulk up I still take creatine right after my workouts because it helps so much with muscle recovery. I feel less sore, and able to workout longer, harder, and more often, which in turn helps burn fat.
  • alleyag
    alleyag Posts: 142
    Options
    This is for you sirben81 Creatine is initially stored in the muscle as creatine phosphate. As this it can give its phosphate group to ADP. ADP is the end result of used ATP (fuel for muscle contraction) ATP loses its phosphate group when use then become ADP. When creatine phosphate gives the ADP its phosphate group its converting it back to ATP which is then available again as a fuel source for muscle contraction. This is only one of three ways your body creates ATP to use for muscular contraction. Sorry to get all chemistry 101 on you. I feel its helpful to know what these supp. Are actually doing for you so you know if its worth while taking. Although some studies have been done to prove creatine uptake is greater in muscles just worked out. Evidence is non conclusive. So my advice then if your splitting is to take some with breakfast and some preworkout. When your using it post, your allowing your body other natural muscle contractions. I.e walking to use some of that available creatine. By taking it in the morning and preworkout your closing the time window in which in can be used by other daily muscular contractions I.e. walking, getting out of bed.
  • End6ame
    Options
    This is for you sirben81 Creatine is initially stored in the muscle as creatine phosphate. As this it can give its phosphate group to ADP. ADP is the end result of used ATP (fuel for muscle contraction) ATP loses its phosphate group when use then become ADP. When creatine phosphate gives the ADP its phosphate group its converting it back to ATP which is then available again as a fuel source for muscle contraction. This is only one of three ways your body creates ATP to use for muscular contraction. Sorry to get all chemistry 101 on you. I feel its helpful to know what these supp. Are actually doing for you so you know if its worth while taking. Although some studies have been done to prove creatine uptake is greater in muscles just worked out. Evidence is non conclusive. So my advice then if your splitting is to take some with breakfast and some preworkout. When your using it post, your allowing your body other natural muscle contractions. I.e walking to use some of that available creatine. By taking it in the morning and preworkout your closing the time window in which in can be used by other daily muscular contractions I.e. walking, getting out of bed.

I agree with this. I take mine with breakfast in apple juice about 45 minutes before I work out.

Studies have shown that creatine can take up to an hour to be absorbed into your blood stream and can reside in your blood stream for approximately 1.5 hours before it is either used by your muscles (what you are hoping for) or before it is converted to creatinine and excreted (not what you are hoping for.) So taking it 30 to 60 minutes before your workout is really the best way to go to maximize its potential.
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Haha, yeah I actually split taking 2.5g in the morning, another 5g at 20 mins pre-workout, and another 5g immediately after. Each time with a delivery method that will spike my insulin, like juice + whey, so it gets absorbed quick and doesn't linger in my blood for hours.

I didn't want to say all that though because, for the OPs case, it wasn't needed.