GYM MEMBERSHIP

Options
Hello everyone, i was wondering if you have a gym membership and if so where and why?

if you dont have a gym membership what do you do during the winter months to get your exercise in?

Replies

• Run4UrHealth
    Run4UrHealth Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Mu husband's job pays for our YMCA gym membership!
  • Riebop
    Riebop Posts: 275
    Options
    I've never had a gym membership. In the past, I've used various Beachbody workout programs. I like to workout in the comfort of my own home. I'm currently doing Turbo Fire.
  • sangelic
    sangelic Posts: 207
    Options
    I caved and got the gym membership. I found i'm much more motivated and keep on track then if I was just exercising at home because I don't want to waste the money. The weather was always an "excuse" for me.
  • lguy29
    lguy29 Posts: 131
    Options
    I have a membership to 24 Hour Fitness, all active and all sport. I only use my one gym tho, just out of comfort and location. I really got to loving the gym with all the classes I can take which have AWESOME instructors. All the classes are free with the membership. Also, I love sitting in the sauna after my workout, and I can't do that anywhere else :)
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    No gym membership here. I run outdoors in good weather. Have an elliptical and treadmill at home. And some free weights (dumbbells). Do circuit training DVD programs some as well at home.

We live quite a ways out of town and a gym membership just isn't worth it because of the time to drive to and from the gym.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    No gym membership.

Weight bench (used off of craigslist cheap) in the carport. DVDs in the living room. In the winter, bundle up for outside exercise. But... I live in western Washington where we don't usually have below freezing daytime temps.
  • brinsy
    brinsy Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    iv had gym memberhip.. went about 5 times during that year lol!
  • shaverkl191
    Options
    I don't have a gym membership. During the winter I ran outside, swam at our local aquatic centre, and did fitness DVD's for strength training!

I love exercising outside so i don't think I'd ever get a gym membership. When I was in university I used the gym because the membership was included in my tuition but now that I'm out of school, I do most of my exercising outdoors.
  • giaciccone
    giaciccone Posts: 257
    Options
    My university has a gym, and students have a free membership. I think alumni get a special discount - so I may look into that when I graduate in the Spring :(
  • smcassaro
    smcassaro Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    My husband & I joined Snap Fitness about one month ago. I have found that I am more likely to workout if I have to leave the house. At home I have a choice between the couch or the treadmill & I always pick the couch! :)
  • julwills
    julwills Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I belong to a local gym and I love it. I definitely utilize the classes the most which makes it 110% worth it. In the past I said, "I don't need a gym membership, I'll work out at home" problem was I NEVER did! By spending the $$ (about $30/month) it makes me more motivated to go since I don't want to waste my hard earned dollars! I only live 1.6 miles away from the gym and it's right on my way home from work so I have no excuse not to go!
  • chelekaz
    chelekaz Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I do, I have one for Planet Fitness.

It has everything I need for a low price. Weight machines, free weights, circuit training area (like Curves), and then the cardio - bikes, treadmills, ellipticals and ARCs.

I pay $20/month which is great because I can go to any location and not just my home site, I can bring one guest per day, and ... if one chooses... there is unlimited tanning. My nickname is Casper so I don't use that option!
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I have a gym membership.

I lose more weight, faster, when I go to a gym (probably because I want to make sure I get my money's worth).

There are a ton of gyms in my area. I go to the one filled with bodybuilders and bikers. It sounds intimidating, but they are so into themselves and their own workout regimen, that they don't even look my way (which I like).

So I lose weight, tone up, have access to every machine I could ever want, and I don't have creepers looking at me or talking to me.
  • bodyzen
    bodyzen Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I don't have a gym membership. I used to have one but didn't enjoy the atmosphere. Thankfully in my new apartment I have an extra room that I converted into a workout room. Dumbbells, weights bench, stationary bike, yoga mats, etc. It's a great and easy way to get a workout in. I run all year round as well, though since I'm from Canada, occasionally the weather in the winter changes my plans, but with the stationary bike I always have a cardio option. :)
  • sharesb
    sharesb Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I have a gym membership. I rarely use it during the summer months but I love it in the winter months and go quite faithfully. Unfortunately you can't just have a winter membership so I have to pay through the summer months!

My gym is awesome though, they have in any given day 10 classes to chose from, a pool, whirlpool, steam room, sauna and always have a lot of motivational challenges to sign up for. It is a bit pricy at $44 a month and times that by two because my daughter is also a member but I would say it is worth it.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Gold's Gym membership.
  • CourteneyLove
    CourteneyLove Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    ive been fortunate enough to have a gym membership for about 6 or 7 years.
    my parents still pay for ours- even though they don't use it.
    i've used it regularly for about 5 years and i love it.
    it's close enough to where i live that i can bike or walk there which is super convenient.

also - when i was in college we had a brand new wellness center put in and the cost of the membership is included in tuition!
    it's great.
  • soknurdy
    soknurdy Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Gyms are purposely built to be boring so people will dump loads of money into it and never be motivated enough to go. I like going outside for my runs and just lifting small weights at home. If you require more though, maybe a gym would be better depending on your situation.

The best part about gym membership is taking advantage of the classes they offer.. And their pool. That's the only reason I keep mine.
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I have a gym membership at City Fitness Philadelphia. It is $19.99 a month, and a block from my office. I started working with a personal trainer there about 10 weeks ago and go during my lunch hour 3 days a week. I know for a fact that I could not and would not challenge myself even 25% of what my trainer has me do, so I will be at the gym for a long time, lol :)
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    I go to Snap Fitness. I travel a lot for work, so I have to be able to access my gym anywhere I go. Snap has tons of locations. They are small gyms but most of them have all the basic equipement needed. Also, I get a deal through work where I pay $12 per month.