Running endurance and stamina

Options
I just joined this program today in hopes of really kicking myself in to gear and start finally loosing some serious weight. I want to start a running program but I have never been a runner. I played sports in high school, but it's been a while since then. I want to be able to run without loosing my breathe almost instantly. Does anyone have any tips, techniques, or workout plans that could help me build-up my endurance and stamina? Thanks so much!

Replies

• BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    C25K program for sure. Google it, it's free and it works! :bigsmile:
  • shaverkl191
    Options
    You should try the Couch to 5k workout. It gradually builds up your running endurance and stamina.
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    A lot of people on here have had success with the Couch to 5k program (C25K). Its really great for beginner runners!
  • delherts
    Options
    any training programme you do is usually goal focussed..so what do u want to do? run 5K 10K etc etc.......

go to www.runnersworld.com they have beginners programmes free too.
  • akgary
    akgary Posts: 52
    Options
    try the couch to 10k as well my girlfriend used that one and has helped her tremendously it starts out slow and builds you up
  • DrPepperLeigh74
    DrPepperLeigh74 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I am about to start the C25k program check it out on the net. You can print off the plan for free and it gradually works you up by alternating running and walking. Good luck!!
  • BigReddHair
    Options
    I am on Week 7, day 2 of C25K. I actually ran 35 minutes yesterday without stopping. When I first started, I barely made the 90 seconds. (Sad, I know). Even though I didn't complete the program on track (I had to do week 5 like three times), I still believe in the program. if you have an iPhone, download the app. It interrupts your music to tell you when to walk and when to job. It's amazing. I also recommend the Nike GPS app, it tracks how far you run, what your average pace is, and your route.
    Listen - i HATE running. No, really, I do. But the feeling you have when you complete your run is amazing. Kind of like getting a tattoo really sucks...but the end result is beautiful!
    Feel free to add me - I'd love to support you during your C25K!
  • kburns0709
    kburns0709 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    i looove c25k you should try it! I'm on week 4 and i never thought id be able to run for 5 minutes at a time without stopping!
  • stanley12345
    stanley12345 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Cycling and squats
    1. 90 rpm minimum if youre cycling
    2. 150 squats + 100 lunges if youre not

Youll see a considerable difference in your endurance levels within a week
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    The C25K program is amazing. I have never been a runner either not even high school, but I am now. I run almost everyday while it is nice outside. Enjoy!!! It is a 9 week program to get you from the couch to running a 5K.
  • chridow
    chridow Posts: 178
    Options
    start slowly. if you're on a treadmill find the speed at which you can no longer walk but feel forced to jog. i've heard the C25k (couch to 5k, i think) is a really good program. basically any program you find (or create) that does speed intervals will help you build up endurance. your form is also extremely important too. pump your arms back and forth as if propelling yourself forward. a 2-2 breathing rhythm will also help. 2-2 basically means breathe in 2 steps, out 2 steps in sync with your steps.

remember that YOU WILL be out of breath quickly at first, and it's OK :-) consistency will help you succeed in the end. i've never been a runner myself, but i'm training for a 10mile race in october. when i first started it was really hard and i almost gave up. now i can do a 5 mile mostly run (some walking) without feeling like i'm gonna die at the end!

always tell yourself I CAN DO THIS! happy training :-)