When do you log exercise?

Options
2»

Replies

• salmat77
    salmat77 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    After... I wear an HRM with a chest strap so I never know how many calories I burn until I'm done.

same

What is a HRM??
  • atred
    atred Posts: 7
    Options
    I often log mine before so that I can plan for the exercise and the calories. If it's a little different than what I planned, I just adjust it afterward. Sounds like that might also for you since you work out in the evening.
  • salmat77
    Options
    Often..... after I complete them because I tend to change my mind about what workout to do.... but when I am certain that I am going to do something and for how long.... I absolutely log it pre-workout. It does help to plan my meals.... how to fuel up and prepare for it.

I think I may try this tecnique for a week and see how it works for me, maybe it will help me be accounable if I am eating about 300 more calories during the day because I am going to work out then it would totally suck if I didnt.. Thanks for your tip!
  • Sugarchef
    Sugarchef Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    After I'm done. I'm another one of those HRM people :)
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    wow okay thanks guys..

I work out in the evening, so when I work out I always have this extra calories to eat and when its after 8 I try not to eat, how do I plan for that?

I work out in the evening too, and don't log exercise until I've done it... BUT... after doing stuff for a while, you'll get a general idea for how much any given activity will burn and you can plan those extra calories into your day early... and then you have to exercise to work them off. It's a win-win.

Example: Yesterday, my calories remaining was in the red all day, because I'd planned out my food for the day. I made adjustments as I went, but overall it stayed around -179 cals. After I worked out, I went positive but only by 100 cals, so I simply switched my protein shake from skim milk to whole milk and ended my day close to goal.
  • sweettoothfairy
    sweettoothfairy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I log immediately after my workout, so i know how much deficit i am left with.
  • salmat77
    Options
    bump
  • mrspenton2009
    mrspenton2009 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I log mine after I complete them....just in case something comes up and I am not able to do what I had planned.

I do the same thing. I work out, then log the exercises. Sometimes LIFE happens and we are unable to get to it.
  • kathylynn8
    kathylynn8 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem as Salmat... I exercise in the morning and evening, but by the time I log my evening workout, it is too late to eat the calories and I always end up with a warning that I am eating too few calories. I hate to eat the calories ahead of time in case something comes up that I don't work out.
  • lorettatat
    Options
    I log mine after I complete them....just in case something comes up and I am not able to do what I had planned.

Me too
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I log them when I complete them but I am not opposed to eating before in order to makes sure I eat all my calories.
  • lgwmab
    lgwmab Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I log when I am done. Certain things Ilog later, as i forget,like making the bed, climbing up and down the stairs 20 times, as I am constantly forgetting things, before I leave for work in the morning.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I wanted to know everyone's thoughts on when to log exercise. Do you log them into MFP after you complete the workout or do you log it 1st thing in the morning?

Just trying to figure out the best plan for me and need some ideas!

:bigsmile:

If I exercise in the morning I log after I workout, if I exercise in the afternoon I estimate them in the morning and true it up after my workout.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I log mine after I do it. BUT early on after I knew what my exercise would be and felt like I really needed to eat all my exercise calories I logged them earlier so I could keep track.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym in the morning before work, so I log as soon as I can so I know what I can eat for the day. IMO, you could log it ahead of time, eat the carlories and then something happens to change your plans (or you're tired and don't work as hard as you plannt), then you can easily blow a whole day.
  • Rainbow011
    Rainbow011 Posts: 61 Member
    Options

Same here....always log my exercise after I've completed it, never before.