Went to the doctor's today...

Options
2»

Replies

• dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Found out that my scale has the wrong reading, for whatever reason. I actually weigh 247 instead of 220.

Also found out that I'm not 6'1'', but instead 5'9''. So, I'm not just overweight, but obese.

I adjusted my MFP stats, and understand that it's my fault for not being accurate, but this was quite depressing. :ohwell:

How could you think you were 6'1" if you are only 5'9", that is a huge difference???

I took my son to his PCP doctor on 7/27 and I watched them measure his height - 76 1/4" (that is 6' 4 1/4" tall).

The VERY next day, I had to take him to the orthopedist that the PCP referred us to for knee pain. The nurse there measured him and told us he was 6' 2". When I laughed and said "Uh, look at him and tell me he is only 6' 2" ... give me break! He measured at 6' 4 1/4" just yesterday at his PCP's office" Her reply "I am going with what this tells me, which is 6' 2". Whatever ...

We see the orthopedist and I say "BTW, your nurse here measured him at 6' 2" - Grant, stand up". He does, and he towers over the orthopedist. "Go ahead, tell me he's only 6' 2". I suspect part of his knee problem is that 3 months ago, when his PCP measured him, he was exactly 6' 4" - he's grown 1/4" in just 3 months ... and is still growing ..."

How many patients are being given incorrect information due to faulty/old equipment?
  • Riebop
    Riebop Posts: 275
    Options
    Ouch. Look on the bright side, though, did the scale still go down since you started MFP? Are your clothes fitting better? Are you losing weight and getting in shape?

If you answered yes to any or all of these, then you're still on the right track!

This^^ Personally, I hate the scale. As long as you're doing something good for your body who cares about the scale? It's not the only way of measuring success. It's just the easiest... Take measurements and a fit test and update them monthly.
  • kyodi
    kyodi Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with some of the above posts. The scale is a tool. You use that tool to give you numbers which you record. You like to see the trend of those numbers to go down if you're trying to lose weight. If that's what's happening then you are on track.

If scales were outlawed tomorrow and we had to burn them all tonight what would you do? I'll tell you what I'd do; KEEP GOING. Clothes feeling looser, having more energy, and people asking "have you lost weight", and doctors visits with lower blood pressure/cholesterol are the true measures of the fruits of you hard work.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!! YOU CAN DO THIS!!!
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I called them back after measuring myself. I measured 71.5 inches. Turns out I either misheard the nurse or she mispoke, because they measured me as 70.75 inches.

Phewwwww. Rounds out to about 6 - 6'1''.

Now, about that weight... :laugh:

You're still off. Do the math. 1 ft = 12 inches... 6 ft = 72 inches. Therefore, by your measurements, 71.5" = 5'11.5". By the doctor's measurements, 70.75" = 5'10.75". I'd average the two measurements... call it 5'11.25". Still about 2 inches short of 6'1". This affects your caloric intake allowances, so try to get the number close.
  • HangoverSquare
    HangoverSquare Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Fair point, aflane. I've adjusted my measurements on MFP. Luckily, it's not a dramatic difference

Thanks for the support, folks.