Stay at home moms, please help

Options
I can't seem to get back on the train. I did this for two weeks straight and lost 12lbs then fell off and have struggled to get back on and can't seem to make it. I stay at home all day with my 9 month old and also have a 10 year old stepson. Everyday I start of eating good and then find myself snacking, and eating too much throughout the day. How do you do it?? What keeps you motivated and on track?? What types of foods do you cook for dinners that everyone in the family can enjoy?

Replies

• JuniperT
    JuniperT Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Honest, I try to have veggies and fruit cut up in the fridge or ready to go so that way I'm not looking for something "easy" to grab at that would be quicker. I know with babies this won't be good yet, but for breakfast a favorite around here is fruit wraps for breakfast. Get any kind of healthy wraps, pour some yogurt inside and then some cut up fruit. My kids love them, and have no clue how healthy they are eating :laugh: And as far as supper goes, I always make sure there's veggies in everything I make. We also have a rule in my house, you have to try a bite of everything cause how can you tell if you do or do not like something if you don't try. When I bake muffins or banana bread, I always sneak flax and/or bran in them when no one is looking. Hope that helps give you some idea's.
  • QueenofCups
    QueenofCups Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Hi!! It took me years to get into the habit, but now its a lot easier than it used to be.
    I am a stay at home Mom. I have a 4yr old daughter and a (almost) 3 yr old son.
    As far as snacking and foods, I keep a lot of fruit in the house b/c the kids love it. When I make lunches I try to make my own plate the same serving size as the kids (for the most part).
    I don't get a lot of chance to snack while they are up, but nap times used to be my snack and tv watching time - so I changed that to my workout and shower time. I still sometimes snack after if I have time, but I try to stick to protein or fruits.
    For dinners, I make a lot of meat and veggies or casseroles. I dish my plate, the kids plates, husband's plate (if applicable, he sometimes eats later) and then put the leftovers away immediately so I am not tempted to get seconds.

And I always leave calories for evening snacking b/c its something I love and am not willing to give up, so I work it into my diet.

Hope that helps!
  • horsepullerlovesme
    horsepullerlovesme Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    i eat every two - three hours and there is healthy food out there that is good tasting. friend me if u would like. i am as well a stay at home mom of 8.
  • MsCandyLynn
    Options
    My son keeps me motivated honestly..i know that if i don't change i will die im 27 with PCOS and have high triglycerides the last thing i want to do is stroke out with my son at home so i always keep that in mind. Also every morning without fail i pray to God and ask him to help me make it through my exercises, to help me choose the right foods and to help me make sure i get enough water. I know that I can't do it alone and that I need God! i have recently started drinking a protein shake to keep me full from lunch to dinner and it is really helping and as far as meal for the whole family, I cook every day food, meat loaf, pot roast, casseroles,tacos adn spaghetti I use all lean meats *i dont use ground turkey at all* and and light or fat free ingredients to cook everything with. My hubby who isnt on a diet i just feed him more than the normal serving size and i eat the regular serving size and give my 3 year old 1/2 servings and my son is still thriving and my husband doesnt feel deprived!!!
  • jeepwidow01
    Options
    I am a SAH mom as well to two daughters, 5 and 2 1/2. There are days I do struggle and do the same as you. I start off eating well & then during quiet time is when I struggle with snacking. On the days it is really hard, I just take it minute by minute and ask myself if eating the extra stuff is really worth it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. However, main thing is, don't beat yourself up about it. Just think toward the next meal and make that one healthier. I do try to keep apples, grapes, baby carrots, cheese sticks, cheese cracker sandwiches on hand for the snacks. For dinner, it is just expected that our daughters eat what is cooked. If it is something new, they have to at least try it. If I can tell it is something they REALLY don't like, good, at least they tried it. Otherwise, they are expected to eat the number of bites of their age. If they refuse, they just have to wait until breakfast. I do normally try to have at least a couple things that they do like. Fortunately, my daughters aren't too overly picky so they will eat turkey breast tenderloin, chicken, pork, most veggies, & all fruits. Feel free to add me as a friend and we can support each other through this journey :smile:
  • Chunkabutt83
    Options
    Im a SAHM too, its hard some days, i eat every few hours but not a ton of food and i still go for convience. Sometimes thats all i can do! I try to have apples already diced and servings already bagged up of different foods so its easy to grab and go. I figure even if i have to eat a smart ones meal its better than mcdonalds
  • 2chubby4now
    2chubby4now Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have good days and bad days. If I am tired I eat. Drink water, tea, green tea, chew gum when you are in the kitchen. DON'T skip a meal. Try to eat at regular intervals so that you don't get too hungry. For me, around 3 to 4 o'clock I would want to snack. Eat fruit at about 3 and drink some water. Best advice: GET OUT OF THE KITCHEN. (too many eating cues) Plan ahead for dinner. I struggle with the menu. Someone ALWAYS doesn't like what I am making (5 in my family). If it is a day I feel I have been snacking a lot, I try to make a meal I don't care for. Then it is me who is not eating a lot. I am not one who usually eats in the evenings, so that is not an issue for me. Give yourself some time. Things will get easier. :)
  • calebespnsmommie
    calebespnsmommie Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Its hard being a stay at home mom and keeping on track. I am a stay at home mom to a three year old! I have time warner cable and we have exercise tv that comes with our cable package. I do a couple workouts from there everyday. I usually do it when caleb gets tired and he will lay on the couch and watch a movie on the computer using netflix. Or else when he is napping I do it. There are days when I dont want to do anything but sit on the couch. Then I just think I have lost 40 lbs and it wasnt by sitting on the couch. I just look at my before and now pictures which motivates me a lot too. I tell myself I do not want to ever go back to that weight and look like that again. There are days when I just want to eat everything in site too!! When I start feeling like that I will grab a couple grapes or some pretzels so I am not depriving myself of food that my body wants but I dont go over board. Usually once a week I will have a meal that I eat pretty much what I want without being to crazy. If I want a peice of chocolate I have one. I use leslie sansone walking dvds a lot too, they are super helpful and you really do get a good workout.. I run when she is walking now and it really does give you a better workout! I drink only water mixed with green tea now. I make it on the stove in a huge pot and then let it set and after about half an hour I dump it a gallon jug that has been sitting in the freezer with a little water in it to make ice. I eat a lot of chicken and salad. I am not much of a bread eater as I used to be! I never eat fat free things only light and I eat a veggie and a fruit with each meal - or try my best to. I have come to learn that canned veggies are way to high in sodium even though its convient! There are things that work better for some people more then others. Hope this helps a little at least for ya!!
  • kirstenleek
    Options
    I am a stay home mother was well. I try to to keep healthy snacks in the house like fruit or veggies, or even just for cravings like some 100 calorie icecream! I dont buy any junk food anymore becuase it is just way to tempting to have it in the house. When i started my diet i gave all my junk food and heavly processed foods away. A new me and new groceries lol. Also to stay motivated I weigh myself everyday. I know your not suppose to but it is so nice to see the number lower than the day before even if its not much, or seeing it higher! that makes you not wanna eat and to be super healthy! also i work out in the evenings after my baby is asleep for the night. just quite me time .