Need more protein & less carbs!

:cry: I have been eating too many carbs and not enough protein! It is keeping me from losing the last 3 lbs. and my final goal! How do you get more protein at breakfast without eating bacon, sausage or ham!? Please help! :cry:

Replies

• Stagezz
    Stagezz Posts: 124 Member
    I eat cottage cheese every morning!
  • Riebop
    Riebop Posts: 275
    Try eating eggs or egg whites if you prefer. Greek yogurt also has a good deal of protein. I think 15 g for a 6 oz serving... However, my stomach doesn't like all the dairy in the morning so I eat is as a snack.
  • angebean
    angebean Posts: 195 Member
    Protein shake. Eggs. nuts in greek yogurt. poached eggs with sauteed spinach.
  • Sgriffin2382
    Sgriffin2382 Posts: 360 Member
    I have been having a stick of light string cheese. Only 1 g of carbs and 8 g of protein!!
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Are you a vegetarian or vegan even? Just in case the eggs are not something you can eat?
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Protein shake is the easiest way. You could add cottage cheese,turkey bacon/sasuage , or eggs to your breakfast.
  • Make a mixed berry smoothie for breakfast during the week, add yogurt, a scoop of flaxseed and a scoop of a good quality lower calorie whey protein. Most quality whey proteins are around 120 calories and 25g of protein per scoop. Watch out though, some proteins can have up to 600 calories per serving and good for bodybuilders and heavy weight lifters, not for loosing weight. Check out XPI Myotein, Magnum Quattro, or Optimum Nutritions Gold Standard 100% Whey(this one is easy to find at Vitamin Shoppe).
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Whats wrong with bacon? I get center cut bacon and it is 3 slices for 70 cals and half the sodium of the normal stuff. I just recently found Kashi oatmeal that has 9 g of protein and 25 carbs but a good deal of fiber so the net is really good. Greek yogurt makes a great snack. Lunch is always tricky. Salads are good of course. You can put anything into a low carb wrap, chicken, bacon, tuna, steak, beans and cheese!

edit - I just looked at your profile and my parents are moving to Kauai at the begining of September. I can't wait to visit.
  • salsera_barbie
    salsera_barbie Posts: 270 Member
    I've been doing a mostly white egg omelet (3 egg white, 1 yolk) with brocolli. Only 120 calories, 5g Carb, 14g Protein.

You can also do a fruit smoothie with protein powder.
  • salsera_barbie
    salsera_barbie Posts: 270 Member
    I use the GNC Amp stuff. A bit pricey, but only has 110 calories for 20g of protein. And since the recommended amount is 3 scoops it last me a long time.

It's also really good because it has amino acid and other stuff to help rebuild muscle and decrease soreness after working out.
  • Punkedpoetess
    Punkedpoetess Posts: 633 Member
    Egg whites, Low fat cheese slices (great for homemade egg sandwiches on a tortilla or english muffin), string cheese, and greek yogurt are great choices. Kashi Go-Lean Crunch or Kashi Go-Lean s are great cereals since they are higher in protein than most. Paired with a milk of your choice they are great (to up protein further, soymilk (I like vanilla) or low-fat/fat free dairy milk is best).
  • Thank all of you so much! I will take your recommendations! I bought some cottage cheese today and already noticed a change in my amount of carbs and protein! It takes a village . . .:smooched:
  • Almost there! One and a half lbs. to go! :smile:
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Hey - I mix vanilla protein powder with rolled oats - waaay more protein and I also don't have to use milk or sugar as the protein powder makes it creamy and sweet :)
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Egg whites!!

Morning Star Sausage patties. The Morning Star Sausage patties have 10g of protein and 80 calories. They are so tasty. I think they are "veggie" sausages, but they are awesome. I love 'em.

protein shakes - EAS or Muscle milk. I don't recommend the Ensure.. they are not tasty.

Muscle Milk H20 are very tasty and have 10g of protein and 5g of fiber!

Low carb oatmeal or weight control oatmeal

I eat lots of protein.. check out my diary if you wish. Good Luck!!
  • ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    protein shake
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Oh yeah.. and Mission tortilla carb control. I believe they have 5g of protein!
  • glenr79
    glenr79 Posts: 283 Member
    eggs, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, with lowfat milk!
  • Wilfred808
    Wilfred808 Posts: 113
    please dont buy anything from gnc. its so overpriced, look online for cheaper stuff
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Sardines or salmon goes great with eggs. Probably not what most people want to eat first thing in the morning.