What Heart Rate Monitor Should I Buy?

Options
2»

Replies

• ironband
    ironband Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I've heard that the Polars have to be sent away when the battery dies... is that true? Perhaps the newer models aren't like that. Insight anyone?

I have a Polar M52 (older model, like 1999)

Two issues here:

1. Chest strap

The older chest straps are done when the battery dies as they are sealed and can not be opened. Polar can send you a new one and will take your old one, of course for a fee. There are newer chest straps out there (some by Polar, some not) which are compatible with the receiver (watch) and do have user servicible batteries. I haven't had to deal with this yet, but when the time comes I'll probably buy one of the newer straps.

2. Receiver (watch)

The receivers tend to be water resistant to facilitate use while swimming. The literature you get with it strongly encourages sending it to a Polar authorized service center for battery replacement, so they can replace the seals and test the water resistance before sending it back to you. I've had my battery changed at a local jeweler - figured since I don't swim with it it will probably be ok.
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    For FT7 I agree they recommend to send it in to polar authorized dealer to do their testing. However you are able to open it and replace it yourself and the manual has instructions for it as well. The band on the FT7 has a clip that snaps to the band when you are going to use it this is what transmits your heart rate to the watch. The battery on the transmitter is also accessible if you were to do the replacement by yourself.
    I've heard that the Polars have to be sent away when the battery dies... is that true? Perhaps the newer models aren't like that. Insight anyone?

I have a Polar M52 (older model, like 1999)

Two issues here:

1. Chest strap

The older chest straps are done when the battery dies as they are sealed and can not be opened. Polar can send you a new one and will take your old one, of course for a fee. There are newer chest straps out there (some by Polar, some not) which are compatible with the receiver (watch) and do have user servicible batteries. I haven't had to deal with this yet, but when the time comes I'll probably buy one of the newer straps.

2. Receiver (watch)

The receivers tend to be water resistant to facilitate use while swimming. The literature you get with it strongly encourages sending it to a Polar authorized service center for battery replacement, so they can replace the seals and test the water resistance before sending it back to you. I've had my battery changed at a local jeweler - figured since I don't swim with it it will probably be ok.
  • olso123
    olso123 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.....great information.....I plan on buying one this weekend!
  • tladame
    tladame Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Bump. Thinking of investing in one eventually.