Crabiness Cures?

Options
I find I get really crabby when I get hungry in the evening (and of course that is the worst time to eat so I don't). My poor husband doesn't deserve months of crabby wife until I get to a healthy weight. Anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• ashleypietz
    ashleypietz Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I would suggest a piece of fruit (~60 cals) or other small snack just to get you by. There is no reason you can't eat in the evenings and it sounds like you need to. Just save a few cals for an evening snack and you'll be fine. Good luck and don't take it out on your spouse.
  • mydeloo78
    mydeloo78 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Herbal teas.. find a hobby that distracts you (knitting, scrapbook, jigsaw). I like the previous suggestion of save some calories for the evening. its overall calories that count not when you eat them.
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    You know you do it, so change your ways! You knew you had to change your eating habits to lose weight, so how is changing your attitude any different?
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Sex? At least he will be happy even if you are still crabby.

BTW - counts as exercise too!
  • lilybug13
    lilybug13 Posts: 154
    Options
    You can get plain greek yogurt for 80 cals a container. If you don't like it plain, try adding cinnamon :-)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Good for you for identifying a need and asking for help! I agree, sounds like you just need to plan your day a bit better so you can have a snack in the evening, especially something that has a bit of sugar. Either a piece of fruit or one of those 100 calorie snacks (bar, pudding, popcorn, etc) or even a small piece of chocolate if you can control yourself.

If you're trying to a do a low carb or low sugar thing - there are two options. 1) you'll get used to the lower blood sugar in another week or two and you have to ask for hubby's patience and forgiveness in the meantime. 2) this type of eating is not for you and you need to at least allow yourself some natural carbs/sugars from fruits and veggies.

ETA: LOL - or sex.
    I was also thinking, if you could, maybe get some exercise but I like the sex idea. Both of you will (hopefully) be happier afterwards. LMAO
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    EAT! if you know you get hungry late at night, allocate calories for it. The issue with late night snacking is people tend to let their guard down and over eat. I listent o a lot of fitness podcasts and they all say that is fine to eat the moment till you go to bed as long as you are within your calories
  • soknurdy
    soknurdy Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I get crabby patties too. For those times I follow my own rules and that is.. Eat when you're hungry, stop when you're full. If you're still full but you're supposed to eat, don't eat. If your body says you're hungry, it's hungry. If you eat half your portions of what you planned to eat and feel full, then stop and save the rest for later.

Hunger is often mistaken for feeling thirsty too.. Try drinking a glass of water and wait 20 minutes to see if you're still hungry.

As much as all these diet plans work for other people, it might not be what your body can handle. Take it easy and hope this helps!
  • Sherie13
    Sherie13 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Sex? At least he will be happy even if you are still crabby.

BTW - counts as exercise too!

Ha ha ha! Nice!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    What the heck is wrong with eating at night??? And why do you think it's going to be so different once you hit your goal? Especially if you still won't be eating at night? Work on it! You can control what you eat, what time you eat, and how you react.
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    sex? hey, it can help keep you smiling!

...and making sure you plan your calories around allowing yourself treats once in a while.... that is the only way i stay sane.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Kwell for the crabs
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Sorry but I am a huge fan of eating at night... there is nothing like sitting on the couch watching your favourite show or movie with your hubby-wubs and munching on something. I drink tea sometimes if I don't have many calories left, If I have calories left I make something like popcorn, or carrot sticks or something else crunchy or a treat if I totally behaved myself for the day.
  • AngelikaLumiere
    AngelikaLumiere Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    WOW lots of good information and suggestions. I actually think I can get a handle on it now. Thanks everybody for all your comments!
    :smile:
  • JeanWalker109
    Options
    I get crabby when I'm hungry, at times, too. Honestly, the best I've been able to do so far is to remind myself WHY I'm crabby and I usually talk about it with my husband. I talk through it & then I usually get over it. He helps a lot.

I certainly hope you're able to find some resolution.

*smiles*

Jean
  • AngelikaLumiere
    AngelikaLumiere Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I tried saving calories to snack in the evenings and stalled the next day on the scales. So, for me anyway, no eating after dinner. I also tried drinking water and chewing sugar-free gum and that helped a lot. I think the person who suggested that it might be a temporary issue, due to change in diet, was also probably party right because it isn't as bad or as often as it was in the beginning. And when I do have "moments" I take the advice that I can decided not to be, just as easily as I can decide to loose weight. So all in all this was a big help. Thanks for all the input!