SUGAR ADDICT!!

Options
Ok, the first step is admitting you have a problem: My name is Aliza, and I have a problem with sugar. :(

I stay within my 1200 calorie limit everyday, and I have noticed that I haven't been losing any weight. When I talked to my sister about this the other day, she asked me what I had been eating. I told her, fat free, low cal pudding, saf t pops (don't judge me, they're addicting!!), cookies, ice cream, candy bars, and fruit. They're fast, on-the-go foods and they fill me up, so I really thought that it was ok because I stay within my caloric limit for the day. My sister thinks I'm crazy, and that I should seriously consider eating anything other than what I have been eating. The truth is that I LOVE sugar!! Nothing makes me feel better. Any suggestions on what to eat to substitute? Please don't state vegetables-- I know that one!! ;)

Replies

• skinnyhappy
    skinnyhappy Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Fruit :D I eat lots of natural peanut butter, too. It's OK, just cut out the refined sugars. And do it slowly! And allow yourself treats (like ONCE a week or less). Sugars from fruit are OK. If you're OK with processed/modified foods Think Thin makes tasty bars that use maltitol (sugar substitute).
  • werkfjl
    werkfjl Posts: 1
    Options
    I also love sugar, but I try to restrict my white sugar and high fructose corn syrup intake to barely anything. Instead I eat LOTS of fruit. Sure, fruit also contains sugar, but it's a natural sugar that's fat free! Fruit can usually sate my sugar cravings without all that processed food. You could also try baking your own sweets using a natural sweetener like honey, agave nectar, or date sugar. Those aren't necessarily going to be lower in calories, but they'll be a healthier alternative.
  • dephillipsj1
    dephillipsj1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I know it's not the same thing as a candy bar but I usually eat fiber one brownies or snack bars everyday as a snack because I too love sugar. You get used to them after a while and I think I'm actually eating a real brownie or chocolate bar (might be exaggerating a little bit lol) Fiber is also very good for you because it fills you up and helps you loose weight. I love sweets so I also try to still allow myself to eat something once in while because for me If i don't satisfy that craving than I'll go off the wagon big time down the road.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    sugar cravings are overcome by reducing/eliminating sugar from your diet. eating a lot of sugar is not going to help your body burn fat. sugar simply has no nutritional value.
  • LaSweetMini
    LaSweetMini Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Im addicted to sugar too but the truth of the matter is, sugar makes you gain weight. Its why I am fat now. I would rather have a plate of cookies and milk than a plate of real food. However, I still manage to get my sweet fixes in. I eat sugar free sweets. Anything under 200 calories. Tons of treats are sugar free now. My absolute favorite is store made sugar free angel food cake. A huge slice is 120 calories! I top it with light whipped cream and strawberries. Sometimes I just eat it plain. Also, there are a lot of diabetic cookies and cakes that are sugar free. Check them out. It does the trick and I am losing. I lost 30lbs before this way too. Im just onto a new goal now and doing the whole sugar free thing again :) Good luck!
  • Higgo8
    Higgo8 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I too was sugar mad, n snacked on crisps too (chips if you are outside the uk). I have managed to go cold turkey on the chocolate n crisps,and as a snack I will eat a slice of malt loaf. These are very filling, full of fruit (and yes, it does have sugar)... Working for me at the min! Sure other people will also have other good suggestions! Steve.
  • knittygirl52
    knittygirl52 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    As you said--first step is admitting!

I, too, am a sweet-toothed sugar addict! In fact, I was eating so many sweets (both sugared and artificially sweetened) that things like fruit just did not taste sweet to me. So I decided I needed to go on a "sweets fast." Now, obviously, you need to make your own decision, but this really helped me.

So for about two weeks, I had nothing with sugar or artificial sweetener. I drank my coffee with real half and half in it (instead of creamer--couldn't go completely black), drank tea with no sweetener, plain water, ate cereal with no sweetener on it, I think I even ate a carton of plain yogurt! I admit to hating it! But after about a week, fruit started tasting sweet again, I could appreciate flavors without sweetening, it was amazing!

Now I will confess that I have gone back to having artificial sweeteners and the occasional bit of sugar, but now I know how to get myself off of it if need be.

For what it is worth.
  • brendalyne
    brendalyne Posts: 497
    Options
    Sorry, I gotta say it.....vegetables! Try dipping them in some hummus as a snack. Also lean protein, like fish and chicken. And don't skip the good fats that come from avacados, nuts, & oil. Other ideas - oatmeal, brown rice, string cheese, greek yogurt. I'm not sure if you're asking for just snack ideas or meal ideas....but do a little searching on this sight & you'll find all kinds of ideas for meals and snacks that are low sugar!
  • 13Kat13
    13Kat13 Posts: 2
    Options
    For me sugar is like alcohol addiction. Even one bite will lead me to bingeing. Cutting out all the sugary foods gave me more food to each for the same calorie. I'll admit, it's not as satisfying. But neither is my weight or the health problems that come with it. Like alcohol, I have to abstain. It's extremely hard to get your body clean of sugar, but believe it or not I feel so much better physically and mentally without it. For the "high" I've replaced it with exercise. On tough days, I turn away. My daughter is always eating sugar in front of me (without guilt) and when it gets super hard I just walk away.

Veggies will never satisfy you, however, they are easily made to go. I do Atkins basically and the bars and shakes are as sweet as I get. They too, are easy to take along and when I'm jonseing for sweets they really do help. If it's not easy, I hate doing it, but I weigh the life I had and the way I want to be. That's the best I can do for me. It's not easy, but I'm worth it...you have to ask the same thing, from time to time.

Good luck
  • pazzescauna1
    pazzescauna1 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of your feedback. Hitting the grocery store today after work. I bought the 30 day shred by Jillian Michaels. Today is Day 1. Wish me luck!!
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I was a sugarholic too. One day I just got fed up and decided to cut out refined sugars (and most other natural sugars too) cold turkey. I lost six pounds that week and have been losing pounds steadily after that. After a couple of days, the cravings went away. Just like magic.