May be a stupid question......

Options
bdurls
bdurls Posts: 128 Member
I picked up a snack size bag of Organic Dried Mangos today cuz I needed a snack when I was out. I don't usually eat dried fruit but I actually really liked it. The only ingredient listed on the package was Organic Mangos. Is this the same (calorie and nutrient wise) as eating fresh mango? Thanks!

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    No. Dried mangos are not the same weight as whole fresh mangos. There should be a dried mangos in the database.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    The sugars are concentrated. And I just looked, there are many dried mangos in the database. You don't have to find an organic one. Organic doesn't affect the nutrition data.
  • alexmommy
    alexmommy Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    If they don't have added sugars (a lot of dried fruits do), then you're just as good. My son loves organic dried apricots, and he is allowed to have them because they have no added sugar. :)
  • fb1960
    fb1960 Posts: 23
    Options
    No stupid questions here bud.

Dried fruits will usually have more calories and natural sugars because the dehydration process removes so much of the water normally found in the fruit. That missing water would normally make the fresh fruit larger than the dried fruit, so there would be more pieces of dried fruit in the same serving size.
  • janiepumphrey
    Options
    1 dried mango is the same number of calories as 1 fresh mango. But the fresh mango will make you feel a lot more full. So fresh is better if you're trying to lose weight without too much frustration. Imagine trying to eat 10 fresh mangoes in one sitting ... wouldn't you feel too full to continue? But 10 dried mangoes would feel like a tiny snack.
  • bdurls
    bdurls Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the help! Makes sense to me now!