Anyone still lose 2 lbs/week and eat...

Options
all their exercise calories?? I'm wondering if I'm sabotaging myself by not eating the exercise calories...

Replies

• ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    I do not eat any of mine, lost 2lbs per week this last month. half the time I don't even input them until after i complete my journal
  • ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I did this week! I dont eat every calorie though...I leave 200-300 for errors in logging food and exercise in case its off.
  • muitobem
    muitobem Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I don't eat them all but try to eat quite a bit of them back....It's helped me lose some more weight eating them back.....
  • ♥xenawarriorprincess♥
    Options
    i agree with rpamball, i try not to eat them all so i have room for any errors in logging
  • mark03264
    mark03264 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    If you have a lot of weight to lose you can get away with not eating your exercise calories longer. As you have less to lose your body will plateau easier and you will likely need to eat back most of your exercise calories in order to continue to lose fat.
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty much at my goal weight now, but when I was in loss mode I ate my exercies calories generally and lost 2+ lbs per week at the calorie allotment given to me by MFP.
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I don't usually eat mine back and have lost at the very least 1.7lbs each week.
    The only time I usually even get near eating them back or go over is
    the first day or 2 of TOM.
  • quitmakingexcuses
    quitmakingexcuses Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I usually eat most of my calories/exercise calories and usually have around 100 or so remaining and I lost 2.2 lbs this week for a total of 12 lbs in 6 weeks.
  • mikesnwgirl
    Options
    I don't ever eat mine back and I lose about 2lbs a week. I'm sure the more I lose I will have to up my calorie intake, but for now it's working.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    You lose 2 lbs per week by eating at a 1000 cal per day deficit. Presumably you have plugged your info and weight loss goals into MFP, and it has come up with a calorie target for you that includes your deficit. So you would eat that many NET calories and you should lose your 2 lbs per week on average. Yes, it's that simple. That means "eating your exercise calories".

If you don't "eat your exercise calories", then you're simply increasing the calorie deficit. If you have a lot of fat to lose, you may lose it faster this way. Careful though, as you will inevitably sacrifice muscle as well, and your metabolism will slow down. As you lean out, it becomes increasingly important to fine tune your calorie deficit.

You can get away with this for a while, but if you're interested in lifetime health, fitness, and well-being, be mindful of what habits you are setting into stone right now.
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I don't eat all mine back but I try to maintain a net of 1200. MFP allows me just over 1400 a day, so most days it's not in the green by more than 200 if I can help it!
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I don't eat all mine back but I try to maintain a net of 1200. MFP allows me just over 1400 a day, so most days it's not in the green by more than 200 if I can help it!

well then you should eat 200 more per day.

It's not "MFP allows me to go up to..."
    It's "My goal to REACH DAILY is...."

There is a built-in deficit IN your goal already. You should NOT be increasing it more.
    If they say to NET "just over 1400" then NET JUST OVER 1400!!!! It's that simple. Why are you "trying to maintain a net of 1200"?!?! That is not your recommended goal.

:noway:

Sorry but I am honestly DUMBFOUNDED by people who think they can achieve their goals in a healthy manner while eating 1200 calories.
    1200 is the BARE MINIMUM healthy amount. Why push it, go with the healthy goal given to you.
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    If I'm hungry, I eat exercise calories back. If I'm not hungry, I at least try not to go under 1100 - 1200 calories for the day.
  • jasonweinberg
    Options
    robin you are such a zealot. not everyone has to proceed the way you proceed. if she doesn't want to eat that 200 calories a day and it is working for her than what is your problem with that? personally, i lost a great deal of weight while eating well under 1200 calories per day and suffered no ill health effects from it. why is it that your point of view needs to be expressed as "the only healthy way" when in fact it is not?
  • melibea
    melibea Posts: 228
    Options
    I never lose 2lbs per week, more like 0.8 lbs or so... but I do notice that I lose weight more consistently when I eat my exercise calories back. If I don't, I plateau.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I always ate mine back and always lost more than mfp predicted BUT I don't think this is because I ate them back. Mfp's figures just don't work for me and I don't know why.

Now I'm maintaining I'm trying out sticking to a calorie ceiling of 2450, while mfp thought I could maintain on about 1650! If I want to lose weight again (hopefully post baby) I'll start with my calories at mfp's idea of maintenance!
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Yes I do. I am eating most or all of my exercise calls and the weight is dropping off nicely.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    robin you are such a zealot. not everyone has to proceed the way you proceed. if she doesn't want to eat that 200 calories a day and it is working for her than what is your problem with that? personally, i lost a great deal of weight while eating well under 1200 calories per day and suffered no ill health effects from it. why is it that your point of view needs to be expressed as "the only healthy way" when in fact it is not?

Jason, my point is that if someone asks to lose 2 lbs per week, is told 1400.....WHY would they WANT to eat 1200?

I am basing my POV on the hundreds of threads that say "I eat less than 1200 and the scale isn't moving, help!"
    Then we tell them to eat more, and like magic...the scale moves downward, they are happier, no more headaches, tiredness...more energy, etc.

And when you give advice, you can't use your personal situation as an example, because you are a minority case, NOT what the average person should be doing. Your statement needs to amended to: "i lost a great deal of weight while eating well under 1200 calories per day AFTER HAVING A SURGICAL PROCEDURE AND WHILE BEING MONITORED BY DOCTORS"

I know that, but not everyone does, and they may think it's ok for an average person to eat below 1200 like you did and it would be ok, when in fact it most likely would not be ok long term.

You know I respect you and think you have done an AMAZING job in your loss and look great but your case is vastly different than the average "dieter".

And just to point out:
    Telling her to eat 200 more is not "MY WAY". It is MFP that GAVE her that goal, so it is MFP's way, you know, the website we are all choosing to use, for free? Shouldn't it be used the way it was designed? (for MOST people).
  • debswebby
    debswebby Posts: 326
    Options
    I know I'm being totally thick but I don't get it. If you eat your exercise calories what's the point of doing the exercise? Am really confused with the whole net calories, exercise calories thing.
  • HelenLRoss
    Options
    I was wondering if the target calorie burn in the excercise section of MFP is correct though? I do swimming training to quite a hard level and when i input the time i swam into MFP it said I had burnt 1094 calories which is alot. If i ate all those back I would be having almost double my calorie intake one day a week. Is this correct? I am worried now that by not eating these calories i am hindering my weight loss as I havent lost anything this week!