Etiquette and eating out with a group when someone else is p

Options
I'm going to lunch with our office Friday, and one of the guys is paying. It's pizza, which usually means we all share pizza. I can't eat the crust, and was just wondering what would be proper etiquette to eat within my food requirements without offending, expecting him to pay extra for my choice, or being gross to others by just eating the tops, etc...
I've never had to adjust my eating before, used to just go with the flow. Any ideas on how I should handle it?

Replies

• krishildy
    krishildy Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I would either go with the flow, or opt out. I certainly would not ask this guy to pay extra for something else for me. There's nothing wrong with just eating the topping(s).
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,097 Member
    Options
    I think most pizza places have side salads. Will the guy let you get a side salad instead? They are usually inexpensive. We have a muslim boss at work, so we always have to have one pizza that is vegetarian, but everyone always likes eating it. Don't be afraid, everone in this world is different and have different eating habits. Just gotta do what you gotta do, just don't make it obvious or cause a scene and nobody will know it :) Good Luck! Enjoy!!
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Most pizza places have salad or sandwiches too... I would get the salad bar and dressing on the side.
    Nothing wrong with a piece of pizza once in while.... maybe just leave the edge crust there. They might also have soup!

PS I eat the top all the time and leave the crust... if you're on a diet, who cares! They can suck it when youre strutting around the office all skinny and they aren't :)
  • VRoseDuda
    VRoseDuda Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    personally,
    I would just ask him ahead of time. Honesty always works for me so I would just say something like "I want to make sure you wouldn't mind if I ordered something other than pizza because I don't want to assume and I don't eat pizza, however, I still want to join you.
    If he acts weird, just ask for a separate bill.
    Either way, you can avoid feeling awkward at the actual lunch by touching base ahead of time
  • sister_bear
    sister_bear Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    If it was me, depending on what they selected, I would eat it, but only have a slice or two (if it's thin crust) and just not worry about it. It's good to treat yourself now and again.

That said, I'm not sure what your 'food requirements' are. I'm allergic to nuts and food with nut traces. I politely say no thanks and if I'm meeting someone at The House of Nuts and Chocolate and Things That Will Kill Me, I eat before I go and let everyone take me as rude or forgetful. I've also played, "Oh, I totally forgot and I already ate! I couldn't eat another thing!" before or the "I'll take some home and eat it later" if they're being totally overbearing that I HAVE TO EAT whatever it is.

In most circles though, they realize at some point why I'm saying no thanks and the tables turn a bit. lol You have to take care of yourself. If you can't eat it, apologize, thank them for their concern, and do your own thing.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I don't see anything wrong with eating the toppings with a knife and fork. Being vegan, I'm in these situations all the time. If someone else doesn't want to accomodate my food choices (like getting a cheeseless veggie pizza), then I'm happy to pay for my own. What I choose to put into my body is mroe important than offending somebody by making what I consider healthy choices. Doubt they'd be offended if I kept Kosher or something. So I don't think you should feel worried about just eating the toppings or asking if it's okay for you to get a salad, like someone else mentioned. If you are going to continue with whatever eating choices you are following, you'll have to learn how to navigate these types of situations at some point. Good luck!
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Right there with ya! I have all kinds of dietary restrictions, I wouldn't be able to eat pizza at all. When I go someplace with my friends and we each pay for our own, I just order something I can eat and don't worry about the cost. But if someone else is paying, that's a whole other dilemma...

I don't think it would be gross to ask for a fork and just eat the toppings & leave the crust behind. Really, the way most people eat pizza (with their hands) is pretty gross anyway. Eating with a fork is an improvement! Also, you might have a protein drink or a light snack before you go. That way you can still participate in the social aspect of the lunch, but it won't matter if you can only eat a little bit while you're there.

Good luck!
  • nerdieprofessor
    nerdieprofessor Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Just eat the tops if you can't have crust. :o)

Is this a calorie thing or a gluten free thing, or what?
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I would slowly eat the tops with a fork and a smile. If anyone said anything, I'd ask them if they wanted the crust, because I 'couldn't' eat it. If anyone challenged it, you could always say it was doctors orders - no one ever questions the doctor!
  • allisonkgill
    Options
    My job likes to order pizza a lot too, and a lot of my coworkers know that I'm not interested in it so they order something different for me. You would be surprised as to how accommodating people can be for your eating habits! I would talk to the guy buying the pizza to see if he is okay with ordering something different, or you can just bring your own food. I've done it in the past, its better than standing around awkwardly with no food and watching everyone else eat!
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the thoughts!! I've only worked there 2 weeks, and it's celebrating a tradition of a child's age, and they are closing the office so we can all go.
    Your ideas made me realize there are two others in the office who ARE diabetic - I'm just trying to avoid it. But, now that I think of it, there WILL be others doing the same thing I am - I'll just follow their lead!! Thanks!!!!

I knew I'd find the answers here!!!! :wink:
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    dont eat the pizza!
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I don't see anything wrong with eating the toppings with a knife and fork. Being vegan, I'm in these situations all the time. If someone else doesn't want to accomodate my food choices (like getting a cheeseless veggie pizza), then I'm happy to pay for my own. What I choose to put into my body is mroe important than offending somebody by making what I consider healthy choices. Doubt they'd be offended if I kept Kosher or something. So I don't think you should feel worried about just eating the toppings or asking if it's okay for you to get a salad, like someone else mentioned. If you are going to continue with whatever eating choices you are following, you'll have to learn how to navigate these types of situations at some point. Good luck!

You are exactly correct, and that's why I'm asking on here. I figured I'd find some answers!! Thanks!!!!!!