Most accurate way to track?

Options
Hi everyone!
I workout about 6 days a week (once in awhile I'll miss 2 days). I do 30 day shred, ripped in 30 and a few other Jillian Michaels workouts. I'm not sure how to accurately record these since it seems a lot of the exercises aren't in the MFP database. What have you all found is best?

Replies

• taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    HRM
  • Susanpv
    Susanpv Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Totally agree.....HRM. You can also log whatever exercise you do yourself, and not use MFP data base.
  • cspence2270
    cspence2270 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    HRM

Yep, the answer to most questions-- Heart Rate Monitor. I love mine... makes me work harder when working out. I love to see that heart rate rise and those calories increase.
  • ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    a lot of Jillians workouts are generally considered circuit training.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Not just any HRM -- get a good one, with a chest strap -- and one you can program things like age/gender/heigh/wweight/max hr/v02 max... its the most accurate way to get it. I got my Polar FT7 for about $70 on amazon.com -- well worth it.
  • Jaytee79
    Jaytee79 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I would also recommend a HRM. I finally bought one and when I did I was SHOCKED at the difference between the estimated calorie burn on MFP and what my actual calorie burn according to my HRM.
  • cspence2270
    Options
    Not just any HRM -- get a good one, with a chest strap -- and one you can program things like age/gender/heigh/wweight/max hr/v02 max... its the most accurate way to get it. I got my Polar FT7 for about $70 on amazon.com -- well worth it.

This is the same on I have- do you have to wear the chest strap with it? I couldn't find any information on if it works without the chest strap in the owner's manual and I'm too afraid of not getting the data to try it without.
  • mark03264
    mark03264 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Use a HRM then when you enter your exercise search for "Calisthenics (pushups, sit-ups), vigorous effort". Enter how ever many minutes will make MFP match what your HRM gave you for calorie burn. That way the minutes might be wrong but the calorie burn will be accurate which is more important.
  • tusher2011
    tusher2011 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Highly, highly recommend an HRM too. Got a brand new Polar ft7 off of ebay for $60 free shipping last month. No guesswork needed now...
  • cspence2270
    Options
    Use a HRM then when you enter your exercise search for "Calisthenics (pushups, sit-ups), vigorous effort". Enter how ever many minutes will make MFP match what your HRM gave you for calorie burn. That way the minutes might be wrong but the calorie burn will be accurate which is more important.

I have been able to create my own exercises and then enter my time and the calories burned off of my HRM. For instance I have a personal exercise for "RUN 2 MILES WALK 2 MILES" and I can choose that then change the time and calories burned off my HRM. Since I never seem to manage to do it in the same time or burn the same amount of calories.