Confused?!?!?

Ok so my name is Roxie! Hi! I am a little confused about how this works. I am attempting to lose 15lbs in 5 weeks. My calorie goal according to this app is 1200 calories a day. Today I ate 1192 calories, however when I exercised I now have 800 calories remaining?!?!? Am I not doing this correct? Should I eat more so that once I exercise I burn enough calories to put me in the 1200 range or what? Or should I exercise less (which does not sound right)? Please help.

Replies

• Barbj56
    Barbj56 Posts: 39 Member
    You will hear lots about whether to eat your exercise calories, both for and against. I have had great success eating the calories I'm allowed, including exercise. My goal each day is to have some calories remaining. Hope this helps!
  • woja9640
    woja9640 Posts: 450 Member
    Should I eat more so that once I exercise I burn enough calories to put me in the 1200 range or what?

Exactly right!
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Typically, yes, eating exercise calories back is a good idea. My question is this: why 15 lbs in 5 weeks? 3 lbs/week is a very steep weight loss goal -- safer bet is 1-2 pounds.
  • Hello Roxie,

This is a common mistake my clients make (not compensating for calories burned while logging). Muscle is important, because it aids in boosting your resting metabolic rate. You need to support the acquired muscle by eating enough calories.

Assuming that you've used one of the pre-set caloric goals per day to get to where you want to be, I would recommend getting as close to that caloric goal per day without going over it. It's an incentive - workout more, eat more. 2000 calories today would be fine for you.

Hope this helps!
  • smarionette
    smarionette Posts: 260 Member
    Your goal calories is based on your normal activity habits and your goal weight, it does not take into account exercise. Any calories you burn exercising are extra calories you can consume. When you exercise you can safely eat those calories back and still lose weight.
  • Thank you guys for all of your responses!!!
  • i HAD THIS SAME QUESTION!!! THESE RESPONSES REALLY HELPED!!!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Is there a reason why your trying to lose 15 pounds in 5 weeks? Thats almost 3 pounds a week.. and the most your supposed to lose is 1-2 a week unless you have a lot of weight to lose.

As far as eating back calories go, I would try eating them back, not eating them back and eating some back to see what works for you. I do a combo of all 3 and it works fine.