Empty Nest Newbie

Bluejay789
Bluejay789 Posts: 176
edited October 1 in Motivation and Support
My son just left this afternoon for college. My husband and I leave early in the morning to help with the move in that starts at 8:00am.

I can feel the anxiety building of not wanting to break down until we leave the dorm and hit the freeway. I also do not want to splurge and ruin this week either by comforting myself with food.

My son has actually given me a hard time the last week about all the time I spend on this site . He asked me the other night if when he came home for Christmas would I be a totally different Mom. I told him yes I hope so. Inside I was thinking..... " I hope to be 45 pounds lighter." Today he told me that he wanted me to keep working out and going to rec center to walk.

I have been preparing myself for this event mentally and emotionally for months. Just need a little support to get through the night .

Replies

• Being a new empty nester I know the feelings. My youngest left home in April for the Navy. I just found this site a week ago. My only advice to you is keep at it. Now you will have the time to focus on you. Something we do little of as moms.

Good luck you can do it!
  • Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Try your best not to cry until after you leave. THEN, you can have a sloppy, snotty, breakdown. You'll feel much better afterward and can pick yourself up and move on. You won't stop missing your son, but focus on all the things you and hubby can do now that he's out of the house! Nekkid breakfast? Sure, just close the drapes. Eating whatever you want with no thought to if the kid will eat it? Sure, try something new and healthy! Good luck!!!
  • Bluejay789
    Thanks so much for the support... Great advice! Thanks for reaching out and sharing. claire
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    It is so hard when your kids leave home. It was a huge adjustment for me since I was a stay at home mom. I do not think you can prepare for it. I cried and cried but it got a little easier each day. Now, I have grandchildren which are the light of my life. You just have to keep on keepin' on. Work a little hard on your exercise or add a new routine. Keep eating right! It is time for you now (which is a hard adjustment in itself)" I still feel bad, sometimes, for doing things for myself.
  • Bluejay789
    Thanks so much for your suport and kind words! Means alot. thanks claire
  • Someone told me, 'if hunger isn't the problem, then food isn't the solution" tell yourself this alot! I think it will help. start loving yourself, and do something for you that is not food related. ((hugs))
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    I'll be in your boat next year!! I really feel for you! But, now you can eat what YOU want, and not worry about making sure the kiddo is happy with whatever food he's used to. Also, knowing that he is supporting you from afar, wouldn't it be killer if you did hit that 45 lb. mark - He would be so surprised, impressed, shocked and happy for his Mom!!! What a goal to strive for!!! Keep it up!! :bigsmile:
This discussion has been closed.