Burning calories by standing?

Options
I know this sounds kind of stupid, but I entered "standing" in excersise today (just to see what would come up) bc at my job I was standing for 4 hours, and it came up with "standing and fishing" which I thought was close enough, and I put in the 240 minutes for the four hours, and it said I burned like 700 calories! is that right? I don't know why it would have said that if it wasn't, and I AM tired now, especially because I was in the sun too, but it just seems like a lot.

Thanks!

Replies

• summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    You burn calories just by sitting on a couch and breathing too. I don't think I'd count them as exercise though.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    No. If you have an active job, change your lifestyle to lightly active, don't add exercise. For me, I work part time and being set on "lightly active" gives me 200 extra calories so on days I work, I simply put in work as an exercise and manually enter 200 calories so on days I don't work when I'm sitting on my *kitten* all day watching TV or driving in my car, I'm not eating 200 calories extra that I'm not burning off.

Hope this helps! Btw, I'm losing just fine doing it this way.
  • MuffinMan25
    Options
    I also saw that entry, it looked alittle high so i checked another site and found for myself at 267 lbs. 120 min standing at a concert was about 288 cals or so.

http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc

Web site i use alot!
  • dancer4275
    dancer4275 Posts: 149
    Options
    I've wondered the same thing. Even outside of exercise, depending on what you do and how muh you move throughout the day...you can burn a lot of cals!
  • LisaMariaCallow
    Options
    I wouldn't count anywhere near that many calories!! I wear a pedometer every day because I walk ALOT (8+ miles) at work. I log whatever my pedometer says the calories burned are...my times are never accurate, but the calories are. I may walk 9 hours, but it's at a slow (2 mph) pace, so I'll put in 150 minutes (for example) to get whatever calories I've registered. Does that make any sense? Or help you at all

Good luck!!

:happy:
  • Arkay
    Arkay Posts: 10
    Options
    Apologies for a late reply but this is even stranger. Walking at 2.5 mph for 180 minutes (3 hours) for my weight uses 647 calories. Standing still for the same period of time uses 749 calories ..... a 100 more calories than if you are walking.

That does not seem right to me either. I think the 'standing' calculation is wrong. Can anyone let MFP moderator know?