LADIES! Heart Rate Monitors?

Options
I am definitely going to purchase a HRM this week.. I need one for work out dvd's at home when I am not at the gym, and even for classes so I know how many calories I'm burning!

Ladies, what HRM do you recommend?! And how much did you purchase it for? I've seen a few online but alot seem iffy on tue reviews! Any feedback is appreciated, thanks :)

Replies

• esslgs
    esslgs Posts: 29
    Options
    bump
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar F4. $90 after s&h on Amazon.com. Chest strap, watch, waterproof, counts calories, factors in age, sex, height, weight, and you can even manually put in your specific VO2 max or just pick a basic, moderate, or intense workout level to get a good idea of where your HR should be. I love it.
  • brazilian27
    Options
    I can't move my *kitten* on exercise without my hrm..it';s fair..since I log everything that I put in my mouth...I have polar FT60 G1... it's the best investment of my life!! sonce I run I got the gps inclued but you can buy without it...I search a lot before I invest my money on this one...it worth every single penny that I paid for!! by the way my baby girl is purple lol ...trust me is better wait same money pay little more and get the best benefits.
  • thetorontokid2
    Options
    I got a polar FT7 for my bday and i love it! i think those can range from 90$-130$ depending on where you get it, whether it's on sale or not. I'd look around for the best price online!

I lost 30 lbs using the MFP estimates, so i don't think an HRM is the be-all-end-all to exercise...but it is nice and i love seeing my targets!
  • Lindz2323
    Lindz2323 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Sherie13
    Sherie13 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I just ordered a Timex one...

http://www.amazon.com/Timex-Ironman-Trainer-Monitor-Silver/dp/B001GWUE02/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1313632608&sr=8-13

I see a lot of people like the Polar ones and I looked into those. I do not like that most of those, you have to send back to have the battery changed. I'd rather change it myself. You should definitely check that on any one you buy. I'll update you when mine comes in the mail!
  • FaithsVegWorkout
    Options
    Polar. It's all I've ever used. I'm on my second one.
  • FAtGiRLFItGiRL
    Options
    i use the MIO PETITE. love it. got it at bestbuy.com for 70$ after s&h and tax. just bought my hubby one too.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 and I love it. Paid 119$ for it (canada)
  • melibea
    melibea Posts: 228
    Options
    I love my Polar FT4! I got it after it was recommended to me on here by a lot of people :)
  • dolphin21
    dolphin21 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    OMG u got 2 get the POLAR FT4!!!! I love it and I got it 2 for my Jillian Michaels videos!!!! Its Awesome. I paid $85 for mine @ ****s Sporting Goods!!! Good luck:)
  • Loonymoon
    Options
    OOps accidental double post.
  • Loonymoon
    Options
    I have a Timex HRM, however I probably wouldn't buy another. It's not bad - the display is clear and easy to read and the heart rate recorded seems accurate but the calories are WAY too high.

It tells me I use 2000 calories in a 90 minute zumba class which is way off the mark. If I plug the figures into a calculator online I get between 1000 and 1200 for the same class which seems much more like it. You can put in your age/weight and the max heart rate/ average heartrate and time for the session. I can't see anything I've done wrong. It doesn't use a VO2 but then neither does the online calculator I use.... so basically I can't use the calorie figure it gives me which is annoying as it's the reason I upgraded to that model. I had a really basic Timex one which just showed heartrate average and nothing else before - but this one doesnt' really give me much extra now except training zones which I don't really use too much to be honest.

If I were to buy again I'd go for Polar or Suunto.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

http://www.amazon.com/Timex-Ironman-Trainer-Monitor-Silver/dp/B001GWUE02/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1313632608&sr=8-13

I see a lot of people like the Polar ones and I looked into those. I do not like that most of those, you have to send back to have the battery changed. I'd rather change it myself. You should definitely check that on any one you buy. I'll update you when mine comes in the mail!

I can tell you right now.. it will be crap, and your going to send it back. Timex way overestimates on calories and does not let you enter all your info.... things needed for an accurate calorie burn. Plus with the new Polar models you can change the battery yourself.. its the older models that aren't sold anymore that you can't.

To the OP:
    I personally have the Polar FT7 and I love it. Easy to use/set up.. accurate calorie estimation and you can change the battery yourself.
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    i have polar ft4 which is pretty good
  • Jd_jaquez
    Jd_jaquez Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have the body bugg from the biggest loser and it works great it tells you exactly how many calories you've burn and it is compatible with my iPhone so that I can get my readings at all times... Unlike the timex I had before this one it doesn't give you odd readings like 600 calories for a jillina michaels DVD when in fat for my weight and height and the fact that is not new to me I only burn 150 calories for the 6 weeks 6 packs
  • KEShikes
    KEShikes Posts: 110
    Options
    I use a Garmin, because I run outdoors and it has a fantastic GPS and a great website to download and track. It's kind of expensive though, because of this. If you're mainly exercising inside, though, Polar makes a lot of really reasonable and reliable models.
  • Sherie13
    Sherie13 Posts: 250 Member
    Options

I can tell you right now.. it will be crap, and your going to send it back. Timex way overestimates on calories and does not let you enter all your info.... things needed for an accurate calorie burn. Plus with the new Polar models you can change the battery yourself.. its the older models that aren't sold anymore that you can't.

To the OP:
    I personally have the Polar FT7 and I love it. Easy to use/set up.. accurate calorie estimation and you can change the battery yourself.

Thanks for the message. When I was reading reviews some people didn't like the Polar F7 and I didn't want to go with the F4 because it said you could not change your own battery. I also didn't want to pay too much for one so I settled on the Timex because it had good reviews.
  • corbansmom
    Options
    Bump
  • EthanJeremiahsMama
    EthanJeremiahsMama Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar FT4! I got it after it was recommended to me on here by a lot of people :)

I'm hearing alot of feed back on the Polar FT4!! I was so skeptical on which one I wanted out of the FT4 or FT60! As far as calories, does it seem pretty accurate?? I can't wait to purchase mine :)