2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
Directions

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F ( 165 degrees C). Grease and flour two 8x4 inch loaf pans.
In a large bowl, beat eggs until light and frothy. Mix in oil and sugar. Stir in zucchini and vanilla. Combine flour, cinnamon, soda, baking powder, salt and nuts; stir into the egg mixture. Divide batter into prepared pans.
Bake for 60 to 70 minutes, or until done.

I'm sure many of you are thinking, "WHAT in the world... This isn't healthy at all!" And you are absolutely correct. The above recipe is not healthy whatsoever.

However, I am here to help! I JUST made this recipe (with some healthy changes) and it turned out wonderfully!

My changes:

3 eggs --> 1 large egg, 2 large egg whites
1 cup vegetable oil --> 1/2 c. smart balance oil + 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 cups white sugar --> 3/4 c. brown sugar + 1 1/4 c. white sugar
2 cups zucchini --> 3 c.
3 cups all purpose flour --> 1 1/2 c. wheat flour + 1 1/2 c. white flour
OMIT nuts but add 1 tsp. nutmeg.

Instead of making a loaf, I made 24 muffins and WOW is it good!

Try it out, change it up, and make it your own! ENJOY.

My recipe states it has approx 162 cals and 10g sugar!

Replies

• anewrac
    anewrac Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Wow!!!!! I can't wait to try this!! Thanks ;)
  • Fat_2_Fit_Mommy
    Fat_2_Fit_Mommy Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    bump
  • shabydonner
    shabydonner Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Is that 1/14 c of sugar right. If so, What does that come out to. I guess I could not be lazy and do the math but I figured if you just made it you would have it on the top of your head lol. Sounds good, Planning to make some zucchini bread tomorrow so I may try this one.
  • lizzyheath09
    lizzyheath09 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the catch.. Not sure how I could have managed such an odd fraction, haha.

1 1/4 cup white sugar and 3/4 cup brown sugar. Sorry!
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Is that 1/14 c of sugar right. If so, What does that come out to. I guess I could not be lazy and do the math but I figured if you just made it you would have it on the top of your head lol. Sounds good, Planning to make some zucchini bread tomorrow so I may try this one.

I'm going to GUESS (not the OP so I don't know, hopefully they will confirm), that the 1/14c is supposed to b 1 & 1/4 c white sugar because with the 3/4 c brown it would equal the original 2 cups:

1&1/4c + 3/4c = 2 cups

EDIT: Never mind, I was too slow! LOL
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    i made zucchini bread the other day and i didn't have any oil, so i used about 2tbs (maybe even less) softened butter and about 1/4c brown sugar. i found it sweet enough. i also used an enormous zucchini, which is a little sweet in its own right

when i was on the quest for the perfect banana bread (really, the same recipe except using bananas instead of zucchini), i used to add orange juice to the batter.

the recipe i used yielded 2 loaves, so there was almost no fat in it at all, but just enough to keep it moist. if you want, you can substitute all the oil with applesauce. if you don't have applesauce, you can literally just puree an apple in a food processor (or a blender, but that's more difficult). you can use molasses instead of granulated sugar, too - it's a sugar!

also very nice is grated lemon or orange rind.

i wish i had a recipe for you, but i kind of just make them up now because i've made them for so many years i don't really use a recipe like i used to.

play with quickbreads; they're super fun to make and really easy to alter. don't be shy with the baking powder / baking soda.

oh, and adding dried cranberries and/or carrots is also a nice touch.