Does competition motivate you on mfp?

Options
paxetamore
paxetamore Posts: 399 Member
There's competition and there is COMPETITION... What motivates you on MFP?

Replies

• FaithsVegWorkout
    Options
    Competition never has motivated me. What motivates me is I feel like I will let myself and my new pals down if I don't eat right or exercise. It's the accountability.
  • beccau_20
    beccau_20 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    No. Competition just makes me mad... it's part of why I don't like to participate in organized sports.

But I digress: The MOST motivating thing on MFP, for me are the Success Stories. Even if it's someone who lost just 20 pounds, versus someone who lost 120 pounds... seeing those before/after pictures are truly inspiring! I read that specific board a lot :o)
  • theprettyone1010
    theprettyone1010 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Competition never has motivated me. What motivates me is I feel like I will let myself and my new pals down if I don't eat right or exercise. It's the accountability.

I agree with this 100%. The people I've met on here have been so inspirational & I want to be inspirational in return. Their success motivates me to be just as successful. But I wouldn't say that i'm trying to lose weight faster than anyone else. That'd never work.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    Competing with myself motivates me. I see my ticker and count the days to my competition and think what "problem" area(s) I need to work and get on it.
  • AliDarling
    AliDarling Posts: 373
    Options
    yes. i compete against myself to burn more cals the next day on the eliptical. burned 963 one day in 65 minutes. next day i did 1100!!!! so i try to do more, even if its .1 or 1.0, thats still more than i did
  • monocot
    monocot Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    When I used to go to the hotel gym with my friend. Cleo. I never told her. but my goal was to always burn more calories then her. And to weigh less then her.
    And I managed to do both. Then i switched gym partners. She burns more calories,works out longer and drops weight like she's sick. I lost all motivation to work out with her.
    I do walk away the pounds and EA Work outs at home now. and my goal is to burn more then 300 calories.

I dont compete in any other way, I dont want to lose faster then my friends to be better, it was just a personal goal.
    Our Goal together. Was to lose 50 lbs between us so we could go out for the night to dance it away. lol
  • shelvyparedes
    Options
    I agree that competition exist everywhere but I feel that we are here to support each other and not think of this as a race. I'm so grateful I found this site, is all I talk about to my friends and family because most people always say they understand that is hard to loose weight but reality is I can relate to most people here because we walk the same shoes and what I love the most even if I update me exercise diary and burn 100 calories I get a motivational comment saying way to go! and that just brightens up my day and makes me want to keep going.
  • av8rblond
    av8rblond Posts: 140
    Options
    I am the same as you all as well. I love to be the cheerleader for others and pick them up when they need it but it isn't a competition. I also think, realistically, am I being totally honest on my cardio? (yes always) If you compete with me but I am a fibber than it is a waste of your time. I compete with me..because in the end I am the one that really matters to me.
  • SallieBeige
    SallieBeige Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Its not really the competitiveness of a competition that motivates me - as there are a lot of highly successful people out there so coming first is not really what I aim for.

I am motivated by accountability - and competitions do that because I have to declare what I have done.
  • angelicdisgrace
    angelicdisgrace Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,319 Member
    Options
    There's competition and there is COMPETITION... What motivates you on MFP?

When the GIRLS totally kick my butt at workout!
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    I love competition. But I am usually competing with myself. I play soccer and if we winn, but I didn't play as well as I should, I'm not happy.

Conversely, we can lose, but as long as I did my best, I am happy.
  • thegymbunny
    thegymbunny Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Nope
    My goals are different.
  • paxetamore
    paxetamore Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    So many thoughtful comments... thank you all for sharing! I have been known to be competitive :-[ yet, I find that the support and accountability mfp peeps share is really the motivation!