The real reason lots of women avoid weight training...

Options
Awkward30
Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
So I went up to the weight room tonight intent on pushing my weights up so that I could no longer comfortably do 12 reps. While I was up there, some guy started talking to me and he seemed nice, so I was friendly... But then he followed me to every machine telling me the "right" way to use it... And giving me advice that I didn't want: like I should lower my weights and do higher reps to get cut. And last but not least came the ever cheesy "it's hard to workout when beautiful women like you are around"

I had to leave because I couldn't work out! Thanks for the ego boost, but sheesh... I have a personal trainer for advice, don't need you!

Replies

• Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    or the gym period!
  • dracobaby82
    dracobaby82 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Wow that's hard :( Never had anything like that happen, then again don't use the weightroom because I really don't know what I'm doing in there, and don't want to hurt myself LOL but ya that would be frustrating!
  • hazelnut861
    hazelnut861 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Right! Lol. Or assuming that the weight plates are just so heavy they have to stop what they're doing to help you lol. It's just the way they are :)
  • Erykah3584
    Erykah3584 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Thats why I dont go to the gym period! I took a tour of the gym that I was considering going to and there was nothing but guys there! There was a "womans" section upstairs and it was so small! Plus the rooms (where they held classes like zumba and kickboxing) had glass walls so everybody could see in. I didnt like that. :(
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    i've never seen this happen..perhaps get a better gym
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    So I went up to the weight room tonight intent on pushing my weights up so that I could no longer comfortably do 12 reps. While I was up there, some guy started talking to me and he seemed nice, so I was friendly... But then he followed me to every machine telling me the "right" way to use it... And giving me advice that I didn't want: like I should lower my weights and do higher reps to get cut. And last but not least came the ever cheesy "it's hard to workout when beautiful women like you are around"

I had to leave because I couldn't work out! Thanks for the ego boost, but sheesh... I have a personal trainer for advice, don't need you!
    Schmuck. Obviously he wasn't there to workout. I workout by beautiful women all the time. I only notice them when I leave though.
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I own a small gym and have one 'casual' exerciser who insists on complimenting me on how I'm looking (even when nothing's changed) - sometimes when I'm looking particularly unattractive in my workout gear and doing squats and lunges!

I'm waiting for the next time it happens so I can explain to him that he should NEVER comment on how a woman looks while she's working out and probably not even outside the gym if it implies that he was looking IN the gym - for crying out loud, the whole reason women only gyms exist is because the vast majority of women don't want to feel men are purving on them while they're exercising!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Sheesh, that sounds annoying. Maybe try something like telling him, "thanks, I think I can manage on my own". Or, "thanks. no offense but I can't chat with you. I'm concentrating on my routine". If it continues, complain to management.
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I love weight training, but I do admit to sometimes feeling so awkward being surround by guys that sometimes I try to be more butch than I am.

One time I dropped a weight on my foot. I was in so much pain, but because I was surrounded by guys and was trying not to be a girly-girl, I pretended like nothing had happened, picked up the weight, put it away and continued to work out for ten more minutes. Finally I went into the locker room, took off my shoe and my toe was a bloody mess. A woman who had happened to see it happen while she was on a cardio machine told me that if it had been her, she would have just screamed and cried.

But I love the results I get with weights so much, I won't let anyone scare me off.
  • shelbym87
    shelbym87 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Hahaha sounds like you had a run in with the growing population of creepers! Aka creepasaurus. I live in Fresno, CA and girl let me tell you that's all we've got! I don't even use my gym membership because there are always jersey shore cast wannabes trying to talk. I'm out of breathe and sweaty, I'm more likely to punch you than talk to you. •sigh• this is why I do DVDs.
  • VegGrrl
    VegGrrl Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    If you want to be super nice, all you have to do is look at your watch (or the clock) and say "Wow, I really need to get this workout done! So maybe we can chat another time. Nice talking to you!" and stare at him 'til he leaves, or you can walk away.

Or you could be more blunt and say exactly what you posted - "Thanks for the advice but I have a trainer and I'm really happy with him/her!" Then stare at him 'til he walks away, or you can walk away.

Or better yet, you could just look so focused and/or intimidating that no one will even try that cheezy *kitten* with you. (That last one works best IMO.)

I hate the thought of women being "afraid" of the the weight room or the gym because of crap like this! Assert yourselves, ladies! We need to be hitting the weights and we shouldn't be allowing anyone to stop us from doing so...
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I dont understand the problem? lol

I would of just told him thanks but i can handle it.
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options

Or better yet, you could just look so focused and/or intimidating that no one will even try that cheezy *kitten* with you. (That last one works best IMO.)
    Yep - don't make eye contact, you never know who's a weirdo!
  • manjingirl
    manjingirl Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Please don't let them put you off. I had two guys start telling me how to lift weights so I asked them if they were qualified and were they allowed to be acting as PTs in the gym? Well they didn't like it much, but one of them came over later and apologised! I refuse to be put off my health program because some people think they know everything.
  • avaloneternal
    Options
    I just wear my headphones. I work in customer service and am antisocial when I workout. No one approaches me ;P
  • Missevanston
    Missevanston Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have gotten some great advice! Stay focused, nose to the grindstone, and look like you are not trying to talk to someone, just there to get your work out done....

Following you around is a bit over the top, yuck! Report him!
  • tonilizzy88
    tonilizzy88 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    I just wear my headphones. I work in customer service and am antisocial when I workout. No one approaches me ;P

snap i even have them in walking from machine to machine.... however my gym has 2 floors and upstairs is were the men tend to workout as its free weights and down stairs is massive and full of cariod machines and 'woman' weights. its the first gym ive ever been a member of that i like. designed well.
  • BuffTexan
    BuffTexan Posts: 270
    Options
    I agree with buffniner.. the gym is for working out, it's not a coffee shop to talk about the days' events. I go in, do my exercises, and leave. Lots of pretty women all around but who cares?! About the most I've said to a woman is just asking her if she's using the bench I would like to use, as to not be rude.

I know this may be weird, but telling the staff is the best way to make that guy stop. Once he gets on the radar of the employees, he's toast if he keeps bugging women.
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Ewwww skeevy dude. Makes me feel lucky that in my part of the world there is always a separate women's gym! Anyway I always give off such an unapproachable vibe in those situations, and wear headphones, that only the most moronic even try. Then I have fun getting rid of them....!
  • Fit_ClaudiaQ
    Options
    & that's why I go to an ALL WOMENS gym..