Jogging infront of others...

Options
I'm still overweight and started a C25K, but stopped losing weight as fast as I was so stopped the jogging and went back to stairs and step ups, plus walking and bike riding. Mainly because at this stage I feel weight loss is my first and foremost important goal.

Over the weekend I competed in a Duathlon (2.5km run/walk, 10.7km bike, 2.5km walk/run). I was determined to jog some of the course, and did for about 100 metres but then hit a mental block and couldn't run anymore. My mind was way more powerful than body and even though I beat the time I set myself I was disappointed that I couldn't even break into a jog.

The only jogging I ever do is at night as I don't like the way I look when I move. There is a LOT of fat jiggling and swinging around.:blushing:

Does anyone else have any suggestions and strategies to get over myself and help me talk my mind around?

Replies

• randa_behnam
    randa_behnam Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Even if theres fat jiggling at least your doing something about it! Thats what people are going to think! your working hard to stop the jiggle.

This is exactly why i left the gym cos i looked around me and no one was even breaking out in a sweat and it made me feel so self concious i didnt push myself hard enough so have invested in a trainer who practically kicks my *kitten* everytime i see him..

the only way your gonna stop the jiggling is by doing something about it....worrying about the way you look to others will just set you back. invest in some decent running clothes that can flatter you and youll be good to go :o)
  • BuffTexan
    BuffTexan Posts: 270
    Options
    Yeah, kinda what randa said... I have a TON of respect for "larger" men and women at the gym. They are in there and they are doing something about their weight. Remember, this is about YOUR health, your body, your life. Don't be put off by what other's "might" be thinking because (last time I checked) none of us can read anyone else's mind. :smile:

Put on your favorite walking/running shoes and start jogging. You'll be amazed where you'll be in a month or two!
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    When I started walking I was over 300lbs I jog almost daily now and I'm still 275lbs...

The first thing you need to learn in my opinion is to give importance to what people you don't know or care about you think of what you're doing. You're making a better life for yourself and those who care and love you and that's all that matters.

Run, Jog, Walk, Cycle, Swim, do what makes you happy and do it with a smile... The majority of people won't say anything and even if they do, just smile a little harder and don't let it get to you!!! The comments you should listen to are from those who love you.
  • charliebird
    charliebird Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Have a look at this BLOG by one of my MFP Friends BerryH. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936

Its fantastic way to go about start running. BerryH writes some fantastic BLOGs well worth a read through.

We all go through what you are going through. Unless you are completly toned something will always jiggle!! For me there is a lot that jiggles.

I invest heavily in lycra! and a Good sports bra is essential.

I have yet to have someone stop and stare at me in disgust. Always have motivating comments or smiles from people I pass.

Take it slowly and don't rush - we are all on a journey and there is no one timing me!

Good luck.
  • MJStory
    MJStory Posts: 42
    Options
    If you're still overweight, jogging is probable not the best exercise for you because you can easily develop arthritis in you weight-bearing joints: ankles, knees, hips, and low back. Much worse, you can sustain an injury to any of those areas that can make it difficult to do any regular fat-burning exercise. Your secondary plan sounds good for now. You can increase your calorie burning by fitting in exercise where you are. Walk in place while washing your hands or washing dishes. If you watching TV, you can get up & move around during commercials: walking in place while moving your arms around is good, or walk out to the end of your driveway & back while moving your arms could make you sweat. Just use your imagination. I hope this helps.
  • faithog
    faithog Posts: 76
    Options
    First off, congratulations on your duathalon! That is great and I am SO happy to hear you beat your time =)

Second, it's great that you are out there exercising and doing what is best for you- everyone should and WILL respect you for that. Extra jiggle can be embarrassing but don't let it "talk" you out of working your hardest! I like to think of mine as fuel - a constant reminder of what I'm working to get rid of. Another option, that may be more immediately gratifying, is to invest in some Spanx active wear. Shape wear is wonderful under everyday clothing- but you can wear it under your work out clothing too. Maybe that could help give you the confidence to get you over the initial hump and into the running world!

You can do it!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Firstly congratulations on your duathlon, that's a fabulous achievement!

Charliebird has it dead right with the sports bra (two if necessary) and Lycra. You might worry Lycra is unflattering, but it really holds those jiggles in and leave you more energy to keep pushing forward! You can always wear something baggy over it, but not cotton, it holds sweat and chafes.

When you feel you're ready to embrace running, get fitted for running shoes at a proper running shop. Your feet will think they've died and gone to heaven, and the rest of your body will benefit too!

Don't worry about joint injury, so long as you work within your limits, studies have shown that runners have less incidence of arthritis than the general populace.

Don't feel you have to just build up your running indefinitely. Set yourself a total exercise time, say a 30-minute walk, and add in bouts of jogging as you feel - say 30 seconds every five minutes. I've been running for 15 years now, and every run that's over an hour I do 2 minutes running and 1 minute walking, and that gets me round faster than trying to run all the way.

And don't worry about people looking, honestly the only people who notice runners are other runners and they will all say hello and think good for you for getting out there!

Please don't let your worries get in the way of one of the best, most flexible weight-loss tools out there, and don;t feel pressurised to do what anyone else does. Make it you own!

Feel free to friend me if you want more running support :flowerforyou:
  • iamahealthychick
    iamahealthychick Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on getting up and putting yourself out there!

I have started the c25k and am on week 1. I will be there a while. I am still 304 lbs and I feel like a lumbering hippo but my *kitten* is out there, doing something! I am starting to realize that if they don't like what they see, there are 359 degrees to look at other than directly at me and they can bloody pick one. While I struggle with self consciousness as well, I am learning that I am just as worthy as anyone else to be out there doing my thing!
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I started C25K earlier in the year, but didn't complete it. I've been meaning to start again but keep making excuses....

Some fab advice :smile: and I WILL get back out onto the streets regularly.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on getting up and putting yourself out there!

I have started the c25k and am on week 1. I will be there a while. I am still 304 lbs and I feel like a lumbering hippo but my *kitten* is out there, doing something! I am starting to realize that if they don't like what they see, there are 359 degrees to look at other than directly at me and they can bloody pick one. While I struggle with self consciousness as well, I am learning that I am just as worthy as anyone else to be out there doing my thing!

Hooray, I love your attitude!!
    To the OP - just do it! Really and truly, most people are so focussed on themselves they wouldnt notice a giraffe in pyjamas jogging by.
  • glendeb
    glendeb Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the awesome comments and advice everyone!

I went out today (without seeing this) and jogged stairs at my local park with a group of three people standing about 3 metres away. Funnily enough I thought, ah well if they want to look at me sweating and breathing hard then good on them!

I know I can do it, and I will. I just needed to hear some encouragement and thats what you all gave me. :smile:

Thanks again!
  • jamie117100
    Options
    I always feel self-conscious when I go power walking at the park. I don't run or jog because of my weight and because every time I do, it feels like the veins in my legs are going to burst.

Anyways, After awhile of walking, I forget the people around me. I still get self-conscious though, when there are people my age out.(especially the opposite sex) I don't know why, but they make me feel more ridiculous than anything. :blushing: