Cardio for those with limited lung capacity?

Options
20 years of heavy smoking has taken a serious toll on my ability to breathe. I have cut right down (now smoking about 5 from 30+ a day). I don't have a car and have always walked/used public transport, so I can maintain a steady brisk walk for quite a few kms, but I start panicking when my breathing rate increases because it feels like I can't get any oxygen into my lungs.

Would pilates twice a week (in conjuction with daily 30 min walks) be suitable as a combination cardio/ strength training exercise?

Replies

• koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I don't have a clue, but.. Google 'deep breathing' excersises. Maybe it would help?
  • MuchMovement
    Options
    try weighted hula hoops
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    You have to differentiate between "lung capacity" and "fitness level".

Difficult breathing with exercise can result from a number of factors: the exercise is too intense for your current fitness level, an acute response such as exercise-induced asthma or anxiety attack, or permanent lung damage.

You don't specifically mention whether your "limited lung capacity" is something that has been specifically diagnosed (e.g. through pulmonary function testing) or is your perception.

There are specific things you can do, but I need more information. Pilates would probably only work as a loosely-related adjunct therapy to help with confidence and decrease anxiety. It will not directly affect a physical lung condition.
  • ooOOooGravy
    ooOOooGravy Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    i smoked for 7 years, most of that was roll ups, with no filter. cheaper and easier to roll!

Anywho, i stopped last year, infact a year tuesday just gone :) and only started exercizing properly a few months ago, i thought smoking was the reason i couldnt catch my breath, but now i can run bike and other things, now iv 'trained' myself to breath properly.

Im not saying you dont have lower lung cap. or whatever, but it just might simply be not used to requiring loads of oxygen, so youd need to 'train' yourself.

Just a thought :)
  • djenna8girl
    djenna8girl Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your response Azdak,
    Sorry for the confusion - I have not been officially diagnosed with a permanent lung disorder (although every winter I develop bronchitis and need to use a ventolin inhaler.

I know that I am very unfit and that my stamina should improve with regular exercise, and my automatic feeling of panic when breathing hard most likely contributes to how hard it is to breathe. But I also find it hard to breathe when I'm in a heated room or crowded space, so I'm not sure if it is more than just fitness. My GP basically told me if I didn't quit smoking it was only going to get worse. So the plan has been to drastically cut down and then quit altogether :).

As part of my new healthy lifestyle, I am trying to lose the weight I have piled on over the past 18 months, so I am monitoring my calorie intake and have started getting off the tram a couple of stops early and walking the rest of the way to work. But I would like to increase my activity, and I thought something like pilates would help strengthen my body. What do you think?
  • sunyg
    sunyg Posts: 229
    Options
    Yoga maybe really good too. There are so many different classes you can look into or DVD's. Then you can work your way up to other things. Congrats on the quitting smoking!!!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the confusion - I have not been officially diagnosed with a permanent lung disorder (although every winter I develop bronchitis and need to use a ventolin inhaler.

I know that I am very unfit and that my stamina should improve with regular exercise, and my automatic feeling of panic when breathing hard most likely contributes to how hard it is to breathe. But I also find it hard to breathe when I'm in a heated room or crowded space, so I'm not sure if it is more than just fitness. My GP basically told me if I didn't quit smoking it was only going to get worse. So the plan has been to drastically cut down and then quit altogether :).

As part of my new healthy lifestyle, I am trying to lose the weight I have piled on over the past 18 months, so I am monitoring my calorie intake and have started getting off the tram a couple of stops early and walking the rest of the way to work. But I would like to increase my activity, and I thought something like pilates would help strengthen my body. What do you think?

I agree with what many have said before, when I really started to get back into exercise I thought it was from the years of smoking, it was considerably more to do with my fitness level. When I smoked I got chronic broncitis every year along with sinus infections the never ending cold and whatever other resperatory condition you can think of. Everything seemed to aggrivate my lungs, sinuses, whatnot. I spent 5 years trying to quit (reduction, patches, gums, zyban, inhalers, mind tricks, but not hypnosis), I had to want it for it to take, and quit cold turkey without looking back.
    My breathing issues were probably partially due to all that nasty sticky gross tarry coating sloshing around all over my lungs, but it was at least 50/50 with my fitness level and I still wager more to do with fitness . . . and I thought I was very fit. You have to get out of the mind set that it's due to the sticks, and focus on your fitness. My friend has 1.25 lungs and can run a 5K, you should certainly be better off than he is.
  • routerguy666
    Options
    I start panicking when my breathing rate increases because it feels like I can't get any oxygen into my lungs.

I'd get the all-clear from your doctor first, but...

I worried about this too when I started exercising. I smoke about a pack a day and wondered if intense exercise would just be a quick way to cause my heart to explode in my chest. Ultimately I told myself that if it does it does, and if it doesn't I'll end up healthier.

It didn't, and I'm in better shape now than I've been in my entire life. I look like the world's biggest *kitten* coming back from a 2 hour bike ride and immediately lighting up, but one battle at a time to win the war....
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

At this point, I think the first step is to increase your tolerance/comfort/confidence with doing activity--any activity that promotes this will provide benefit. Pilates, because it is a more controlled type of movement, often in a quieter atmosphere, might be a good choice for you. I anything that gives you confidence, strength and greater body awareness is a good choice. Good luck.