Heart Rate

Options
I'm curious what everyone's general heart rate is when they are working out, and your age/weight? I have always thought my heart rate while working out is high, but after an online search it seems like its actually within my 'target' area... My heart rate is usually between 149 and 158 ish but sometimes it does go higher...... i'm 27...5'8 and 160lbs.

Replies

• mistyb47711
    mistyb47711 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    mine is usually between 132 ----148....Im 35 and weigh 203.8 now, oh and im 5'4...my HRM tells me im in 70%
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    5'5, 18, 118, mine usually hangs around 175.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and 125# at 33 yo. My max and active heart rates are lower now than they used to be. I've been maxing out in the 180's, generally aiming between 165 - 175 during intense cardio (step class, running) where as I used to max out (pre-baby, around 150#) between 195 - 205 generally aiming between 175 - 185 during intense cardio. My resting hr is 46 (no caffine, laying still, no distractions). I can talk (and have to because I'm the step class instructor) through all these hr ranges with controlled breath. That being said, I hyperventilate over 205. These hr drops are consistent in all my workouts, my body is leaner and more efficient, I keep having to find new ways to push my body to get the hr and therefore burn that I used to get. At my old hr I was getting a burn of 800 or more calories/hr in a step class, but that's now come down significantly (during my hour long step class on Monday I only burned 540 . . . it's rather depressing).
  • mizzoulaxgirl26
    mizzoulaxgirl26 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    5'9", 29, 137. I'm not really sure since I mostly do classes. Usually during a treadmill run or elliptical it's 140-160.
  • turtleohs
    turtleohs Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Allabtlm, you seem to know a lot about heart rates - This question came up because I was thinking of buying a HRM but I wasn't sure if it would be accurate since my heart rate (i thought) was always so high...but I guess its not high and it wouldnt affect the accuracy at all... does it just mean that if you're within your target you are burning the most calories? Im kind of a noob when it comes to this stuff. I am learning :)
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Allabtlm, you seem to know a lot about heart rates - This question came up because I was thinking of buying a HRM but I wasn't sure if it would be accurate since my heart rate (i thought) was always so high...but I guess its not high and it wouldnt affect the accuracy at all... does it just mean that if you're within your target you are burning the most calories? Im kind of a noob when it comes to this stuff. I am learning :)

No matter what you're doing with your hr having a hrm will increase your accuracy as long as it has a chest strap, is taking your calorie count off of your hr (certain Garmins for instance use distance not hr for monitoring calorie count . . . which is fine if all you're doing is running), and includes factors such as weight, height, and age in your calculations. I was always mildly concerned about the fact that my average cardio was always far exceeding my "target fat burning zone" by about 20 bpm during any intense workouts. That being said, I've read something recently that said it's really not that simple and that just because you're not in that target zone doesn't mean your not burning fat, and it doesn't mean that you aren't getting a great workout. If this is just for making a decision as to whether or not to get a hrm, get it you won't be disappointed. I like the polar line, I recommend the FT7 and above which can be purchased pretty cheap by doing an amazon search, but there are some other really good ones out there too.
  • turtleohs
    turtleohs Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestion & info. I saw other people suggesting the FT7 also and its fairly reasonable in price on Amazon!