Air Popped Popcorn

Options
I got an air popper for popcorn. I heard popcorn is zero calories as long as it is cooked just by air and nothing is added. Is this true? I tried to look that up today but everything I found said there were calories and it was measured by the cop. Not sure if those were actually with nothing added.

Replies

• rolandhulme
    rolandhulme Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    It's very LOW calorie, but obviously not NO calorie. Just think how much popcorn you get in one of those 100 calorie snack packs. There's a ton of fiber in there too - a really smart snacking choice.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    it has calories. Just not as much if you put other things on it. Air popped corn is great snack full of fiber and low cal pain
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    It's corn at the end of the day so there must be come calories in it... there should be something on the database for popping corn, weigh it before you put it in the machine. I love the sound of it as I like my salted popcorn VERY much!
  • conniehgtv
    conniehgtv Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    pop corn DOES have calories, but air popping adds the least amount of fatnad there is a lot of voulume for the calories. enter air popped popcorn for the amts
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    It's corn at the end of the day so there must be come calories in it... there should be something on the database for popping corn, weigh it before you put it in the machine. I love the sound of it as I like my salted popcorn VERY much!

Weigh beforehand and enter as Cypressa popping corn x
  • indnile321
    indnile321 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    There are approx 31-33 calories in a cup of hot air pop corn.
  • statia152
    statia152 Posts: 558
    Options
    I got an air popper for popcorn. I heard popcorn is zero calories as long as it is cooked just by air and nothing is added. Is this true? I tried to look that up today but everything I found said there were calories and it was measured by the cop. Not sure if those were actually with nothing added.

Look under "air popped corn" 6 cups popped = 120 cals (40 grams unpopped) and that is with nothing on it. 1 1/2 teaspoons of butter has only 53 cals. Its a great crunchy salty snack that will last a long time if you eat one at a time. :) Enjoy!!
  • MOMSHOME
    MOMSHOME Posts: 72
    Options
    Thanks all!! I have been fixing a gallon size bag of pop every morning and eating on that all day as my snack. I looked on the bag and it said 3 tablespoons were 130 calories, I am praying that is not correct.
  • statia152
    statia152 Posts: 558
    Options
    That's 3 Tbsp unpopped, and yes, that is correct.
  • Kate6868
    Kate6868 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Thanks all!! I have been fixing a gallon size bag of pop every morning and eating on that all day as my snack. I looked on the bag and it said 3 tablespoons were 130 calories, I am praying that is not correct.

Often a bag of unpopped popcorn will list calories by tablespoons of unpopped corn. Double check your bag - that is probably the case. That would make whatever amount 3 tbs turns into when popped 130 calories.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I like the white popcorn, less of those hulls that stick between your teeth and back of the tongue. Mine says 120 cals per 1/4 cup of unpopped kernels. I just dump the 1/4 cup of corn in the pan (no oil), pop it, and what pops is what I get. I have not measured out how much it comes to popped...seems like it would be a pain in the *kitten*. Sometimes I will sprinkle it with pepper, cinn, or parmesan cheese.