How often do you clean out your friend list?

Options
I have friends that have'nt logged on in a month or more,,some less than that...How long do you keep you friends that does'nt log on everyday ( unless they post there on vacation) ? I really need friends that are supportive and dedicated,but I feel bad to delete them...So how long is long enough to let there name stay on your friends list??

Replies

• lovinlife71
    Options
    Never...I love them all and support them all!:heart:
  • JessPaul93016
    JessPaul93016 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I check my friend list every other week. I delete if they haven't been on in 20+ days, unless I know of the reason they aren't logging. I do feel bad but, like you, I'm here for support. Feel free to add me and we can help support each other. :smile:
  • BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    About once a month actually. I'm not a "collector" and don't see the point in keeping people around that aren't active.
  • theprettyone1010
    theprettyone1010 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I typically don't delete people. All people aren't the same. They may only log on once a week or maybe they're not as talkative as others. I don't think it's a reason to say, "you're not good enough to support me. Goodbye!"
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I have a ten day rule. If you have not logged on for ten days, time to go.
  • rpearce519
    Options
    I agree, if they aren't logging on, whats the point? this is a community of people who are motivated, need motivation and want to motivate others!
  • LH2011
    LH2011 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Once every few weeks I'm and neat freak and like to have things in order ha ha :laugh: !!!!!
  • seriousaboutlife
    seriousaboutlife Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I tend to only delete those who haven't been supporting me. If you don't ever comment on my stuff... goodbye. ;)
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Heh...i just looked over my friends list, actually.

It's a tough call. I want to be supportive of them and I know life can get in the way of checking in, even on a smart phone. However, if I send a note to that person checking in on them and they don't respond after a week - I figure they're not interested in pursuing this whole MFP thing and it's pretty safe to delete them. One person I recently deleted had not logged in for 2 months. I hope they're doing okay. MFP certainly isn't the only way to be healthy, of course. That said, it's what works for me and I really like the support system I have here.

*shrug* It's personal preference. I guess it really doesn't hurt anything to let them stay there, other than *NOT* having the connection you wanted with them.
  • glittermouse
    glittermouse Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I haven't yet and probably never will. If I see someone hasn't been on in a few days, I'll send them a message to see if they are okay.

On the other side of things, I was deleted from someone's friend list recently. Didn't know them very well, but it still stung. Not sure why. (I was gone for a bit while I was sick, yadda, yadda, yadda.) I understand it, but man--that was a bummer.

I think if you are going to delete someone, you should give them the courtesy of a message. Maybe they need some encouragement.

. . . and, of course, if they fail to respond or if they later prove themselves to be unsupportive, you can delete them knowing that you did all you could.
  • bjclaywell
    bjclaywell Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I too am kind of a neat freak about my "friends" list - if you haven't logged in in 30 days, I will generally delete you unless I know of some reason - but 30 days is a long time NOT to log in - and I don't feel that someone is committed to support and be supported if they go that length of time without logging in.

Edited to note that I always send messages in the first week or two of someone not logging in...that is what the support is about.
  • LemonSocks
    LemonSocks Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I've only deleted friends once in the entire time I've been here (but I've never had more than 30 at a time - though I keep meaning to find some more). I prefer friends who are supportive (though if they don't comment I won't remove them) but I will remove them if I directly ask them something on their wall and they don't reply or if they haven't logged for a month (people might go on holiday for 3 weeks but anything more is a lack of commitment).
  • glittermouse
    glittermouse Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I typically don't delete people. All people aren't the same. They may only log on once a week or maybe they're not as talkative as others. I don't think it's a reason to say, "you're not good enough to support me. Goodbye!"

I agree. I'm not all that talkative, either. I keep up with all of my MFP friends doings, but c'mon: how many people should add 'wtg!' after a comment?
    Sometimes, I really wish we had a 'like' button, so I could show that I'm aware of everyone's victories.
  • Serrtana
    Serrtana Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I only have two friends so I won't delete them:) If you want you can add me as a friend. I log on daily.
  • anacsitham5
    anacsitham5 Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I didn't think I would delete any friends, but I had the same scenario. Some haven't been on in a month...that's not helping me. I'm checking my friend list again and am considereing deleting those that never comment on my status or questions. I comment on their statuses, but the favor is not returned. I am looking for friends to support and motivate me. You can friend me if you like. I'm on every day and need friends who will be honest with me and tell me when I'm slacking or not doing the right things. On my bad days, if you want to tell me I screwed up and need to get tough than that's what I need. On my good days or NSV moments want to tell me "YEAH" I need that too.
  • gbelltx
    gbelltx Posts: 142
    Options
    Well Ijust started adding friends here recently. Once they have not logged in for a week I send a friendly reminder to see whats up? I plan to give them about 2-3 weeks which I believe is plenty of time to log in. They dont have to make a comment but atleast log in
  • TriumphNow
    TriumphNow Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I don't delete people... I don't see the point. Of course some people are really supportive and I definitely appreciate it. The people that haven't been on for a while may be struggling and it will be good to see how they're doing if they come back. On the other hand, maybe they found something that works better for them than MFP (I know, we can't even imagine that :smile: ) My list is not that big so maybe if it grows a lot I would reconsider but I don't think so.
  • deb_rn
    deb_rn Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I recently deleted a few people recently hadn't logged in for a while or who never commented at all.. I don't think that it will make any difference to them.
  • sunyg
    sunyg Posts: 229
    Options
    I don't and probably won't.
    1. I don't really want to make the time to do it.
    2. Sometimes I am talkative and sometimes I am not. So I understand when others do the same.
    3. The person that I delete yesterday could need me tomorrow. Everyone has lulls. But when they come back I want them to know they have someone that has patiently waited for them to come back and kick butt.
  • anthony438
    anthony438 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I don't really - I've got a couple that haven't been on in a few months. When/if they come back, I'll be there.