Push-Up Help!

Options
I suck at push ups. I can't even do the wimpy "on your knees" version well. Are there any ways for me to gain the upper body strength I need to do them? I have access to a gym, so if there are any weight machines I should be doing that would be great! Or is it just practice makes perfect?

Thanks everyone!!

Replies

• Ashleypeterson37
    Ashleypeterson37 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I can't either. I have no upper body strength at all....waiting for some responses...
  • ML0305
    ML0305 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I also cant do push ups...any advice or tips will be greatly appreciated!!!! :happy:
  • syates83
    syates83 Posts: 87
    Options
    I have issues too...but I think its practice makes perfect...just keep trying with the wimpy ones until you can do the "on your knees" version and then move on to the Big Girl Push ups! You can do it!
  • kpersons1
    Options
    bump
  • AJDistel
    AJDistel Posts: 93
    Options
    Just keep trying. When I first started I couldn't do more than 1 or 2 on my knees. Today I'm am up to 173 on my knees and able to do 24 regular ones. It'll take some time but if you push yourself you can do it.
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    What kind of weight training do you do? If you do chest and back exercises, that may help. It's hard for me to do push ups because I'm still heavy and I have to push all that weight up and down.
  • statia152
    statia152 Posts: 558
    Options
    Try doing "push ups" on a wall. It will help build some strength.
  • drblythe
    drblythe Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I just started the 100 push ups thing.

http://hundredpushups.com

i'm just doing the girlie ones coz i also suck at them, but i'm hoping this will help build me up to the real ones
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I do the whimpy ones too...terrible upper body strength. Been doing overall toning with strength exercises...and my trainer said that will help. Just takes time I guess.
  • ckdub428
    ckdub428 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Google 'Hundred pushup challenge'or if you have a iphone/ipod touch and get the app.
    it will have you do an inital test. Even if you can only do 1 this will work. And it will build you up to being able to do 100 in a set.

I am going through it right now and I'm doing them on my knees and I can feel myself getting stronger. Not just my arms but my core as well. And my arms are getting smaller. I have lost an inch in my arms since starting the program.

The best way to learn to do pushups is to just do them.

Good luck and happy push ups!!
  • lynh564
    lynh564 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Start off doing push ups on a wall or use the bar of the smith machine and set it about waist high. The idea is to gradually lower yourself towards the floor until you can do push ups
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    If you want to increase your upper body strength, try some light weight, high reps of dumbbell presses.... easier to push those weights over your head instead of pushing your head/body up from the floor. Also, you will need shoulder strength, core strength (lower back too, not just abs) - so planks might help... even if you have to start those on your knees too. Shoulder flys with light weights and tricep kickbacks. It's hard for all of us. I had to do some weird pushup last night for a video I was working through and I fell smack on my face. Thankfully, I use a very cushy mat!
  • TashaP2011
    TashaP2011 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    One alternative you can try to gain strength is to do them up against a wall. Stand back a bit and lean on the wall, push back and repeat. Once you do these for awhile, the ones on the floor should become easier.
  • personally I find the normal ones are easier than the knee ones!
    I started body combat to tone my arms and back, and machines that you can sit on in the gym and work your back, chest and also ones you stand by to work arms can be used too, ask an instructor in your gym for some advice. you will be able to do a small number properly in no time...then practice makes perfect. Learn the proper technique too so you are not putting strain on your back or hyper tension in your knees.
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    If you can't do them on your knees, start against a wall, then against a desk, table, or countertop, then move to your knees.
  • LushLoni
    LushLoni Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Okay, I can't help, I too am rubbish and have a severe lack of strength in my arms.

I am doing the wimpy ones right now, I'm going to try and do them regularly because I really want upper body strength!

Mmmm.... my boyfriend doing push ups..... <3
  • katedonn5
    Options
    Start with the wall push-ups, moving farther and farther away. Then graduate to the knee push-ups until you can continute to the regular push-ups. Concentrate on your form and only go as low as you can in the beginning. Weight training will definately help this area, but I have found that push-ups and pull-ups are more about strength than muscle mass. It's important to be able to lift and pull your body weight so as you lose weight (assuming that's your goal) and your ratio of lean muscle to fat increases, it will get easier. That being said, I can do push-ups but struggle to do pull-ups. Some things are just easier :).
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Nice to know I'm not alone! I'll keep at it too, till i master it.
  • kasmir8199
    kasmir8199 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Any upper body strength exercises will help.

As mentioned earlier, if you struggle with the knee push-ups, definitely try doing push-ups against a wall. Position yourself in front of a wall, as if your body was, say, a broom, propped up against it, and push off of it...then lower yourself..then push....you get the picture? This HELPS! As you get better and better, continue to increase your angle so that your feet are further and further away from the wall when you start. Sooner or later, you'll be doing pushups off the ground.
  • becka63
    becka63 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I started the 100 push up challenge when I could only do the girly ones. I'm now on the last week and although I need to do 30 or so ones from my knees, the other 100 (cos yes, even the lightweight challenge takes you beyond 100!) I can do properly. When I first started exercising, I could barely do even the modified ones, so I feel especially proud!