so TIRED! any ideas as to what i can do?

Options
2»

Replies

• calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    sorry that my response above appeared to be completely incoherent, as well.

- i probably do need to rest more. i have a high stress job, and i actually feel antsy when i am just sitting around. one of my life goals is actually learning how to relax, haha.

- i have an appointment with a doctor for a physical/bloodwork early next month. i am also trying to get a nutritionist appointment so that i can really understand what is best for me to eat without eating meat.

- i eat eggs, cheese, yogurt, etc. and prefer greek yogurt. i will eat more of these. we have them in the fridge right now. i also eat soy products, and am planning on incorporating more into my diet. i am also aware that lentils, quinoa, beans, etc have lots of protein/fiber in them. i just haven't had the chance to get to Whole Paycheck (err, Whole Foods) which has the best selection in terms of things like that around here. i will be going tomorrow after i get paid.

i do thank you all for your suggestions, though. i will add more nuts and nut butters, dark leafy greens, etc. into my diet. i know they are good sources of essential nutrients, i just can't seem to remember that while i'm at the store shopping.
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    Meat provides lots of B vitamins, too - protein is only one nutrient you are missing.
  • meggers123
    meggers123 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    i have stopped eating meat for ethical reasons, but i still eat dairy and eggs, so i will add more of those. i do also eat soy products.

Good for you, making ethical choices. Not to be a debbie downer, but a lot of dairy/eggs come from animals that are also treated like crap. I *do* eat meat [local, organic and/or hunted... free, organic, forrest living. :)], some dairy and loooooove eggs... but only organic, free range, small/local farmes, etc.

While buying eggs and dairy, keep an eye out for cage free, land-raised, organic sybols since these animals are not being force-fed, pumped full of yuckiness and the likes.

Foods and approx. amounts of protein (grams)
    Egg, large - 6 grams protein
    Milk, 1 cup - 8 grams
    Cottage cheese, ½ cup - 15 grams
    Yogurt, 1 cup – usually 8-12 grams, check label
    Soft cheeses (Mozzarella, Brie, Camembert) – 6 grams per oz
    Medium cheeses (Cheddar, Swiss) – 7 or 8 grams per oz
    Hard cheeses (Parmesan) – 10 grams per oz

Tofu, ½ cup 20 grams protein
    Tofu, 1 oz, 2.3 grams
    Soy milk, 1 cup - 6 -10 grams
    Most beans (black, pinto, lentils, etc) about 7-10 grams protein per half cup of cooked beans
    Soy beans, ½ cup cooked – 14 grams protein
    Split peas, ½ cup cooked – 8 grams
    Peanut butter, 2 Tablespoons - 8 grams protein
    Almonds, ¼ cup – 8 grams
    Peanuts, ¼ cup – 9 grams
    Cashews, ¼ cup – 5 grams
    Pecans, ¼ cup – 2.5 grams
    Sunflower seeds, ¼ cup – 6 grams
    Pumpkin seeds, ¼ cup – 8 grams
    Flax seeds – ¼ cup – 8 grams
  • lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    MMMM Vanilla SILK soy milk sooooooo good taste like a vanilla milkshake
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need iron and more sources of protein. Take suppliments and eat more beans, maybe some quinoa, legumes, what not.
  • bbjnkidz
    bbjnkidz Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels wrote a book called "Master Your Metabolism". I highly reccomment it. She goes into a lot of things that cause fatigue that you wouldn't expect. This book isn't about exercise, or about dieting, but rather about the effect certain foods, products, enviromental issues, etc have on your body. It is a very interesting book - I was amazed! It also has a companion cookbook. Check it out, you may be surprised at the things that are affecting your health.
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options

Ummm....seriously? And how much nutritional training have you had exactly?

I'm not sure how much 'nutritional training' is necessary to recognize that protein is kinda important, and cutting it out of your diet is likely to have consequences. Pretty standard, simple stuff really. Kinda like asking someone how much legal training they have had if they tell you you might get a ticket for running a redlight.

All of you condescending MFP forum-warriors really crack me up.

Thank you!
  • xxrouguexx
    xxrouguexx Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have the same issues when I am trying to lose weight, I still eat meat, but its the reduced portions at each meal which make you feel so exhausted - I recently started having as a snacke 1 piece of light oatmeal or wheat toast topped with 1 teaspoon of nutella twice a day. Nutella has the same nutrition as peanut butter, but its chocolate flavored. Its a little protein booast with out going over your daily calories. You could also try adding a tablespoon of sliced almonds to salad, they too are packed with protein. If the only reason you cut meat out of your diet is for health reasons, try eating fish 3x a week.
  • katmett
    katmett Posts: 1
    Options
    Iron...Make sure you are getting enough green leafy like veggies or foods with iron and protien. It's amazing what a lack of iron does to a person, which meat has a lot of!