Too much protein?

Options
Since I have been keeping my food diary I keep going over my protein and never get near my carbs. Should I be eating more balanced diet? I just crave proteins more. They stay with me longer than carbs, even whole grains. And I never eat white stuff.

Replies

• ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think this is great. MFP's default is 55% carbs, which was high for me. I changed mine to 40/30/30 (c/p/f). I rarely if ever actually eat 40% carbs; my aim is more like 35%, which is 150 or under per day. I also aim for more than 100 grams of protein per day to keep fuller and keep up with my strength training.

Keep doing it if you're happy and seeing results!
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think this is great. MFP's default is 55% carbs, which was high for me. I changed mine to 40/30/30 (c/p/f). I rarely if ever actually eat 40% carbs; my aim is more like 35%, which is 150 or under per day. I also aim for more than 100 grams of protein per day to keep fuller and keep up with my strength training.

Keep doing it if you're happy and seeing results!

I agree completely. You may find slightly different ratios work better for you, but MFP recommends way to many carbs. I find 45/25/30 (cpf) works best for me at the moment but I want to aim for Shangsm's ratio.
  • chantihayes
    Options
    my problem is opposite , I always go over carbs and get to about 1/2 way with protein :/ Searching out low carb high protein snacks at the moment :)
  • runningathena
    runningathena Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I also go over on protein, but I want to. When you are exercising intensely, protein helps with muscle recovery and keeps you feeling full a lot longer so you're not as inclined to snack. If it's working for you, go for it. :)
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    It's hard to get too much protein. If you can sacrifice any macro nutrient, it would be carbs. Aim for a balance, I would probably not go less than 25% protein, not less than 30% carbs and not less than 20% fats.

I tend to aim for 35% Protein, 40% carbs and 25% fats. If I'm going out side of that I do it in fats or protein. So typically I get between 35-40% protein, 20-30% fat and 30-40% carbs.
  • Arwen1922
    Arwen1922 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! This really helps! I feel better about my protein consumption.