RLS aka the Jimmy Leg

Options
I know this isn't diet/fitness related per se, but when you can't sleep it affects everything. And I can't sleep. I am so tired, my brain is exhausted, but my damn legs won't settle down at night. I have had problems with RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome), or as my husband likes to refer to it, the "Jimmy Leg", for years now. I take RLS meds for it, but lately even that isn't working. Used to I could go weeks or even months without taking meds and sleep fine. Then I'll have a spurt where it's every night, which is lately. You would think the consistent exercising would help, but it ihasn't. I take a hot bath almost every night before bed, as the heat does sometimes help ease the quivers.That is not working either.

I don't know what to do. I know I probably need to go back to the doctor and see what he says, but it's such a strange affliction that I'm not sure even the docs know what to do about it.

I can't take it...I'm miserable. Anyone have any thoughts/ideas/something that has worked for you beyond what I'm already doing???

Replies

• MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Is there a different medication you can take? Ask your doctor.

I feel your pain - I go through bouts myself but have never seen a doctor about it. I understand it's related to potassium deficiency so make sure you're meeting your daily requirements for potassium with whole foods (not just supplements) and see if that helps.
  • JennieD2
    JennieD2 Posts: 66
    Options
    Your doctor will probably suggest increasing the meds. I have this too and it drives me (and my husband) barmy! I take Amitryptiline for it and when it is bad I increase the dose
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Definately talk to your doctor, since you're already on meds.

Personally, I found that decreasing caffeine, increasing potassium & iron, and exercising more helps with the worst of it. It's still there but less frequent and less intense... Again, this worked for me; the triggers for RLS can vary widely from person to person.
  • kadoodle76
    kadoodle76 Posts: 234
    Options
    I have never taken meds for it, although i need to for sure...what I do to ease the wiggles in bed is to lay on my back with my knees up like I am going to do a sit-up. I dont know why but this helps alot for me. Also, if you have stairs in your house, go up and down them a few times. Working your legs when they act up really helps alot.
  • tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I read/heard that if you stand and rise up on your toes repeatedly it helps. Who wants to do that all night? :frown:
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you are in a state that allows MMJ, but my sister used to have pretty bad bouts with RLS and her doctor recommended a few puffs off the ol' pipe before bed. Worked wonders for her. Might be worth checking into.
    Please, don't eat my soul with anti-mmj remarks. I'm just passing along what worked for her.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, don't know about MMJ. I know that alcohol makes it worse, but that may be completely different. I think I will try some iron and potassium supplements, plus look into eating foods higher in those minerals.

And yes, I'll bite the bullet and call my dr. (did I mention I hate the dr?) I was hoping to try something else that maybe worked for others before going back to him.

*sigh*

Sleep deprivation seriously messes with your head.
  • LoraMora
    LoraMora Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I got RLS from working my muscles too hard and over training them.

My RLS was completely cured once I understood the triggers and took a magnesium supplement.

Triggers: a) hard leg workouts, especially later in the day, b) sugar and c) alcohol, esp wine, wine coolers or sugary cocktails

After finding the information about magnesium supplements and taking them, I don't even have to avoid the triggers anymore. I work my leg muscles harder than ever before, drink a glass of wine before bed, or whatever and still only occasional break-through RLS if I have skipped the magnesium supplements for the last week or two. I don't even take magnesium regularly anymore - don't need to.

In the event I start feeling the RLS again when I turn off the lights to go to bed (rare), by taking a magnesium supplement it abates in about 20 minutes.

I just bought the cheapest generic bottle of 300 tablets of magnesium ...for under $4, the tablets will probably expire before they are all gone.
  • CarlieeBear
    CarlieeBear Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Working out a lot made my RLS worse. I don't usually have it bad and can typically manage it by getting plenty of sleep. I sure hope you can reduce yours. The only time mine got really bad was when I went to Guatemala and travelled in vans and small airplanes a lot. Being restricted to small spaces, esp. ones that vibrate, for long periods of time is horrible.

I've had success with taking Ibuprofen and with tensing my leg muscles as tightly as I can for as long as I can. I'm interested in looking into magnesium.