Water

Options
Can one drink TOO much water?? If so, what is it that determines this?? Thanks for your input on this!!

Replies

• Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    yes, but the numbers are HUGE! You'd have to drink gallons
  • soknurdy
    soknurdy Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    You'd have to drink quite a bit and be doing something that is antidiuretic. I find when I drink the right amount of water I have plenty of energy and get good sleep.. Wake up refreshed.
  • Gkennedy166
    Options
    Yes it is basically over hydration and if you start to get a headache and feel dizzy it is possible that you have drank to much water. You also have to be careful because drinking large amounts of water can drain you of your elctrolytes and other nutrients. So throw in an electrolyte beverage if you are drinking and working out a lot. A healthy diet also keeps you balanced
  • hollybearrington
    Options
    I drink 6 liters a day. and some days I add lemon to it for something different
  • rebysue
    rebysue Posts: 136
    Options
    I found this response online:

The kidneys of a healthy adult can process fifteen liters of water a day! You are unlikely to suffer from water intoxication, even if you drink a lot of water, as long as you drink over time as opposed to intaking an enormous volume at one time. As a general guideline, most adults need about three quarts of fluid each day. Much of that water comes from food, so 8-12 eight ounce glasses a day is a common recommended intake. You may need more water if the weather is very warm or very dry, if you are exercising, or if you are taking certain medications. The bottom line is this: it's possible to drink too much water, but unless you are running a marathon or an infant, water intoxication is a very uncommon condition.
  • runnerjenn0708
    runnerjenn0708 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    this all makes sense ... thanks guys!! I'm probably going through a 5 gallon water jug every 2-3 days ... For someone who hated water and NEVER drank it .. to THAT ... I want to make sure I'm not hurting myself!
  • Kelly50054
    Kelly50054 Posts: 141
    Options
    I have been told we should drink 1/2 of our body weight.
  • arw060310
    arw060310 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    You can drink too much water... But it has to be a completely obscene amount all at once. I drink 2 gallons of water a day, and I feel AMAZING.
  • kevinlynch3
    kevinlynch3 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can. I believe an airman died back in 1999 in Air Force basic training from over hydration. Salt tablets are now handed out as part of basic training for the military services because it is the ack of salt that is actually dangerous.

I typically try to do at least 2-2.5 liters of water a day
  • Michelle9939
    Options
    I agree with the other replies. It is possible but unlikely. You have to really drink a lot of water to get water intoxication. I try to drink 4 or 5 16oz bottles of water a day.
  • bmmarti3
    bmmarti3 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    It is in fact possible to drink too much water, but unless you're actually trying to over do it it's highly unlikely.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16614865/ns/us_news-life/t/woman-dies-after-water-drinking-contest/

She drank over 2 gallons of water in short period of time.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can. I believe an airman died back in 1999 in Air Force basic training from over hydration. Salt tablets are now handed out as part of basic training for the military services because it is the ack of salt that is actually dangerous.
    This is true. My father was an air force pilot. He used to love those salt licks. I inherited his love of all things salty. As a kid, sometimes I would eat plain salt!