Runner's High: See Ya, Treadmill!

Options
I am training for my first 5K and learned this week what a runner's high is. That amazing feeling after an exhilarating run!

Has anybody had this experience where once you start road running you don't want to get back on a treadmill? I don't see how I could do that now that I have nature in front of me and such a bigger challenge. Just curious what other NEW runners experience.

Yesterday I was waiting for my car to be fixed and I got in a run during THAT in a new neighborhood. I would never have dreamed of doing that even 3 months ago. It would have just been my excuse why I couldn't run or exercise. It is unbelievable how different my brain is.

I wrote about my runner's high on my blog for anybody interested.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/lumberjacks94/view/runner-s-high-138517

Replies

• hm_day
    hm_day Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Runner's high is AMAZING. I will go on a treadmill if I really feel like I need to get in a run (or during the bad New England snowy winters), but it doesn't beat an outdoor run.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I'm hooked! I noticed almost immediately when I started last year. Now I LOOK for times I can run, instead of putting it on my to-do list. It feels like a reward, not a chore.

And the treadmill is always the last resort!
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    Outdoor running is always best to me. I hate running on a treadmill. That runners high is what keeps me coming back time and time again. I started running in June doing the C25k program, and I am currently training for a half marathon in November. I am up to 8 miles. I love it!!
  • mielikkibz
    mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    not running, as with my knee, can't do much but alternate short bouts of jogging with long bouts of walking, but since it got warm enough to walk, hate thought of going back to the bike :)
  • jldaley09
    jldaley09 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I was never a runner either and the things you said in your blog are so true for me as well! It is hard for me, but i love it! I injured my foot and haven't been able to run in nearly a month and its killing me! I was training for a 5K and will probably have to walk it now but I will cross that finish line :) awesome work! Keep on keepin on.
  • meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I have a really difficult time running on the treadmill for various reasons. One of them is staring at the same thing endlessly! Give me a good road route any day and I will run it come rain or shine! Though our winters get pretty harsh so I'm not sure what I'm going to do come December, January, and February. It's possible to run in the extreme cold, it just sucks as badly as running in 95 degree temps with 75% relative humidity like we had last month!
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I haven't ran on a treadmill in over 8 years. Love that asphalt!

Fortunately, down here, there aren't many "days" that you cannot exercise outdoors. Of course, the winters are much better than these 100 degree temps we have had for months now.
  • lumberjacks94
    lumberjacks94 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I am now driving to new locations near me to run by new things. And the amazing things that go through my head are ridiculous. I will pass a nice crossing guard who says hello to me and I think, "I should really volunteer more and help out the kids!" what the hell is going on with me!?!?! lol

a 5K seems like just the beginning now!!!
  • Mkmassey3
    Mkmassey3 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Isn't it a great feeling? I will run treadmill on days when I have no choice due to bad weather, but I too prefer to run outdoors. I started training for my first 5k at the end of April and ran my first 5k 2 weeks ago, and finished faster than I was expecting. Give me the open road any day of the week. I am thinking about driving to new neighborhoods just to have that change of scenery. We have trails at our State Park that are used for cross country training, but I'm too scared to run them alone...maybe one of these days! See all of the new opportunities that await you when you think about all of this stuff when it's just you and the open road?! Keep up the training, we are all anxious to hear about your big race!:flowerforyou:
  • Scorpiomom222
    Scorpiomom222 Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    The runner's high is what is making me itch to have this baby. lol I had to stop running a few weeks ago, and since I had to take it easy, it wasn't as fulfilling. Good on you for taking that time to get exercise in when you had spare time!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!