Chicken Substitute

Options
I've been trying to eat less meat lately, so last night I thought I would try some Yves Chicken Veggie Tenders in my stir fry. They were a little rubbery and had a bit of a weird taste..I didn't dislike them, but I didn't like them either :huh:

Anyone have any suggestions for another type of chicken substitute that's good??

Replies

• dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    Quorn makes chicken substitues that you would never know is not really chicken!!
  • ariianaf
    ariianaf Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I've never seen that around here but I'll keep an eye out for it!
  • kirstyfromscotland
    kirstyfromscotland Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    i would also say quorn, add plenty of flavours when making it n u wouldnt know the difference. I add chilli, garlic, worcestershire sauce or sometimes soy sauce.x
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to eat less meat lately, so last night I thought I would try some Yves Chicken Veggie Tenders in my stir fry. They were a little rubbery and had a bit of a weird taste..I didn't dislike them, but I didn't like them either :huh:

Anyone have any suggestions for another type of chicken substitute that's good??

Tofu, Tempeh, chick peas or other beans. I like Tempeh or chick peas myself.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Why not just eat chicken? Or are you eliminating it from your diet?
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options

Tofu, Tempeh, chick peas or other beans. I like Tempeh or chick peas myself.
    This i try to stay away from the fake meats as much as possible. I indulge on occasion, but keep in mind they are just as processed as any other process food. Instead of replacing chicken I try to think of it as what non meat protein can I have and still be satisfied.
  • PalmettoparkGuy
    PalmettoparkGuy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian of 10 years. I tried all those fake meats and they're all gross. Then one day I asked myself why I was trying them when I never liked eating meat in the first place? I say, if you want meat, eat it.
  • CountryDevil
    CountryDevil Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Turtle. It tastes just like chicken..... ;P

I also recommend Quorn. I used it when I wanted to cut meat out of my diet but decided a meatless diet was not really for me.
  • kittyloo123
    kittyloo123 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    you need to try some of their other products. The other nite, i had the yves chicken skewers. They were excellent! I've tried their beef strips, not a fan, but their taco stuffers are great. Morningstar farms has a line of stuff. The chicken pattys are really good. You need to try different ones. I've had pretty good luck.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    you need to try some of their other products. The other nite, i had the yves chicken skewers. They were excellent! I've tried their beef strips, not a fan, but their taco stuffers are great. Morningstar farms has a line of stuff. The chicken pattys are really good. You need to try different ones. I've had pretty good luck.

Like others have said all of these fake meats are overly processed and are not very healthy. If you want protein but not meat stick with my suggestions above of Tofu, Tempeh, chick peas and other beans. They are more natural and taste way better than any yves or Morningstar "franken-soy" products.
  • ariianaf
    ariianaf Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I don't mind chicken, I've just been eating a lot of it since it's easy to cook and I wanted to try something new. I still like my meat though!
  • tbelivea
    tbelivea Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    When cooking Yves Chicken Veggie Tenders it's all about how you prepare them. I find that if you saute them with cracked pepper, garlic, butter and lemon juice they can be quite tasty! Make sure you cook them until slightly golden brown all over. I usually eat them in wraps or salad when prepared this way. Another good chicken substitute of theirs are the frozen "chicken" nuggets. Broil them up and dip them in HP sauce or Spicy Mustard! Experiment and don't be afraid to try adding lots of spices and such :) The one thing to watch with the Yves products is the sodium content. Good luck!