Fitness Trainers - cardio or strength training/toning

Options
I have about 20 pounds I want to lose. I have some defnite flab from having two children that I am hoping will tone up.
Here is my question - should I be completely focused on cardio right now to lose the weight first before I tone? Or should I be doing both? I've heard different sides about the process and just wanted to see what others or fitness trainers have given for advice. Thanks!!

Replies

• vabheegaard
    Options
    I have lost 27 pounds so far and I just started with cardio - mostly did spinning and dancing. This helped me lose the weight fast and also tone a little. Now that I am down I have started now toning 4 times a week. That worked for me and I think it is the best way to go.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,680 Member
    Options
    I have about 20 pounds I want to lose. I have some defnite flab from having two children that I am hoping will tone up.
    Here is my question - should I be completely focused on cardio right now to lose the weight first before I tone? Or should I be doing both? I've heard different sides about the process and just wanted to see what others or fitness trainers have given for advice. Thanks!!
    Both. Lift hard and heavy first followed by cardio after. Cardio alone weight loss, especially when your BF% get lowered will leech muscle tissue for energy. This will only lower your metabolic rate. You counter it by working the muscle to force it to rebuild. "Toning" is a misused term. Muscle is either conditioned or not. You "tone up" muscle to get it conditioned. Somehow it got translated as a reference to the state of a muscle.
  • knrob
    knrob Posts: 65
    Options
    i purchased jillian michaels 30 day shred video, she does a 3 min strengthening, 2 minutes cardio, 1 minute ab routine; she stresses building muscle along with burning fat is the way to go. it makes sense to me-i'm feeling muscles i havent felt in years.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    i purchased jillian michaels 30 day shred video, she does a 3 min strengthening, 2 minutes cardio, 1 minute ab routine; she stresses building muscle along with burning fat is the way to go. it makes sense to me-i'm feeling muscles i havent felt in years.
    But if you're on a calorie deficit, it's practically impossible to build muscle. Strengthen yes, build no.
  • grizworl
    Options
    In the Army and just had a baby 5 months ago. Joined MFP this week but in my experience it is better to do both. That way you tone and firm your body at the same time. You will start seeing your entire body go thru an awsome transformation. Huhhh flab, join the club!
  • butterfly0819
    Options
    Both. Lift hard and heavy first followed by cardio after. Cardio alone weight loss, especially when your BF% get lowered will leech muscle tissue for energy. This will only lower your metabolic rate. You counter it by working the muscle to force it to rebuild. "Toning" is a misused term. Muscle is either conditioned or not. You "tone up" muscle to get it conditioned. Somehow it got translated as a reference to the state of a muscle.
  • butterfly0819
    Options
    So I should be doing the ab work first, then the cardio basically? Or should I be working ALL muscles?
  • butterfly0819
    Options
    I bought this video myself - waiting for it to come in the mail. I'm hoping to see some better results than me doing my own workouts at home!!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    So I should be doing the ab work first, then the cardio basically? Or should I be working ALL muscles?
    All.
  • sovannac
    sovannac Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I do both cardio and strength training. When I first started working out, I did my 30 minute session of cardio and then strength training but after getting advice from a couple of people I switched to strength training and then cardio and noticed a major difference.