I know you can't spot reduce but....

Options
....Is there a particular type of cardio workout i should be doing to try and slim down my thighs, particularly the front of them?

Or is there any type of exercise i should avoid?

Im a bit of a novice to the whole exercise thing :ohwell:

Replies

• rfcollins33
    Options
    I believe that squats, lunges will reduce cellulite. I've seen it in my own legs.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Nope. Your body dictates where fat comes of last. Thank your parents for genetic predisposition. You can "increase" the process by a combination of strength training and cardio.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    That's pretty much it, cardio, strength training, and clean eating will help you reduce the fat deposits in your problem areas. If you want to work on muscle definition in those areas squats and proper lunges (at least 1 yard from the front heal to the back toe, back heel off the ground). regular mid range squats, wide stance squats, side to side squats, wall sits, etc . . .
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Try Power Yoga. It's a great full-body workout (and tone). Check out the Jillian Michael's Power Yoga DVD for $8 at Target. Or you can find a class near you that you like. :)
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    That's pretty much it, cardio, strength training, and clean eating will help you reduce the fat deposits in your problem areas. If you want to work on muscle definition in those areas squats and proper lunges (at least 1 yard from the front heal to the back toe, back heel off the ground). regular mid range squats, wide stance squats, side to side squats, wall sits, etc . . .

this :)
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I believe that squats, lunges will reduce cellulite. I've seen it in my own legs.
    You'll strengthen and condition your legs and possibly reduce the orange peel appearance, but cellulite is connective tissue and exercise won't get rid of it.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    ....Is there a particular type of cardio workout i should be doing to try and slim down my thighs, particularly the front of them?

Or is there any type of exercise i should avoid?

Im a bit of a novice to the whole exercise thing :ohwell:

Also, try kettlebells. Make sure you research the correct way to use one though if you buy a DVD/bell combo :)
  • GemUK84
    GemUK84 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips guys....is any type of cardio okay i.e Stationary bike, treadmill, elliptical im conscious of not doing anything to bulk them up anymore :laugh:
  • ShrinkingNinja
    ShrinkingNinja Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    You body will dictate where the fat comes off no matter what you do, BUT I would think that strength training those areas could at least help tone up said area some what and give more of a appearance of that area looking better.
  • ShrinkingNinja
    Options
    Thanks for the tips guys....is any type of cardio okay i.e Stationary bike, treadmill, elliptical im conscious of not doing anything to bulk them up anymore :laugh:

You won't bulk up with strength training if you use a lower weight but higher reps. More weight with less reps leads to bulking up.
  • thebunnies
    thebunnies Posts: 168
    Options
    doing high resistence on the elliptical seems to be toning and slimming my legs. lunges are great, too.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options

You won't bulk up with strength training if you use a lower weight but higher reps. More weight with less reps leads to bulking up.

This is outdated philosophy, the newer science supports that women generally cannot "bulk up" without either suppliments, hormone imbalances, or extensive time in the weightroom (hours and hours per day). I'm 5'3" and lift what my trainer calls "impressive" weight (we've recently started doing olympic moves because he wants to see what I can do) and I'm a size 0 . . . I would definitely not call that "bulky." Pushing your resistence will only help you see results faster.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Actually you can't bulk up on calorie deficit. Lift hard and heavy. It raises metabolic rate.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Yes, I agree. I've seen the same thing in mine. I HATE them, but I do them because they work.
  • VickiMitkins
    VickiMitkins Posts: 249 Member
    Options

I've always had very muscular legs and arms for a woman and I am short, so my goal is for a longer, leaner look. I have been using elliptical a good bit and I have noticed increased definition and tone, but not size. I also like to do some yoga to counter balance the weight lifting. I don't know why, but my muscles look less bulky and leaner than they used to. I think it comes down to a good balance of cardio, yoga/stretching, and weight training.
  • MommyTo2Girls
    Options
    Doing Lunges, squats (all variatons of squats), wall sits, etc.. anything that will work my thighs, has actually made me lose a few inches around my thighs and (even though everyone says it wont help) HAS reduced my cellulite on the back of my thighs dramatically.
  • ShrinkingNinja
    Options

This is outdated philosophy, the newer science supports that women generally cannot "bulk up" without either suppliments, hormone imbalances, or extensive time in the weightroom (hours and hours per day). I'm 5'3" and lift what my trainer calls "impressive" weight (we've recently started doing olympic moves because he wants to see what I can do) and I'm a size 0 . . . I would definitely not call that "bulky." Pushing your resistence will only help you see results faster.

I understand this. However, for someone new to strength training... Starting with lower weights and higher reps will help her get comfortable with strength training in general and will most definitely not cause her to "bulk up". Once she sees that she can up the weights as she sees fit.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options
    I understand this. However, for someone new to strength training... Starting with lower weights and higher reps will help her get comfortable with strength training in general and will most definitely not cause her to "bulk up". Once she sees that she can up the weights as she sees fit.

Again, low weight high reps lifting for women is an outdated philosophy and may get results, but not efficently or as effectively. The newest science shows that for women efficent and effective results come from high weight, low reps, and that unless you have outside sources working women don't generally have the testosterone levels to bulk up.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

If women can't bulk up what happened to Jillian Michaels? Or is she really a man?
  • ShrinkingNinja
    Options

Again, low weight high reps lifting for women is an outdated philosophy and may get results, but not efficently or as effectively. The newest science shows that for women efficent and effective results come from high weight, low reps, and that unless you have outside sources working women don't generally have the testosterone levels to bulk up.

And again let me try to get the point across that I am suggesting she ease herself into the mind frame of lifting weights. She might feel more comfortable doing lighter weights with more reps first.