Have/had 100+ to lose?

Options
Ok, so it's really late, and I should be studying or sleeping, but I'm curious...
How many of you out there have or had 100 pounds or so to lose? I just feel like I'm standing at the base of a mountain looking up, and I can't see the top for the clouds! My motivation hasn't been strong at all well, ever, but it hasn't even been strong during my first month here at mfp. I hope it comes with results, but I'm still too afraid to get my hopes up. I've failed soooo many times before. I have tons of reasons to lose the weight, such as:
1. Diabetes runs in my family
2. My pictures look disgusting to me
3. My husband rarely ever touches me, and we haven't even been married for 2 months yet!
4. How am I going to be a nurse looking like this when I'm supposed to be modeling healthy behavior for patients?
5. I feel disgusting, and I'm tired of not fitting into my clothes, looking like crap, and taking up too much space in the world!

So if I'm so smart and know what to do and how to do it, why do I have so many issues with it? I've taken nutrition, anatomy, etc, so I know the detrimental effects that my obesity is having on my body. I canNOT for the life of me figure out how I can have it so together in some areas in my life but be so out of control in this one particular area. I am so frustrated with myself!!!!! Any advice from anyone who has or has had a bunch of weight to lose would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• RNLeslie
    RNLeslie Posts: 150
    Options
    Ok, so it's really late, and I should be studying or sleeping, but I'm curious...
    How many of you out there have or had 100 pounds or so to lose? I just feel like I'm standing at the base of a mountain looking up, and I can't see the top for the clouds! My motivation hasn't been strong at all well, ever, but it hasn't even been strong during my first month here at mfp. I hope it comes with results, but I'm still too afraid to get my hopes up. I've failed soooo many times before. I have tons of reasons to lose the weight, such as:
    1. Diabetes runs in my family
    2. My pictures look disgusting to me
    3. My husband rarely ever touches me, and we haven't even been married for 2 months yet!
    4. How am I going to be a nurse looking like this when I'm supposed to be modeling healthy behavior for patients?
    5. I feel disgusting, and I'm tired of not fitting into my clothes, looking like crap, and taking up too much space in the world!

So if I'm so smart and know what to do and how to do it, why do I have so many issues with it? I've taken nutrition, anatomy, etc, so I know the detrimental effects that my obesity is having on my body. I canNOT for the life of me figure out how I can have it so together in some areas in my life but be so out of control in this one particular area. I am so frustrated with myself!!!!! Any advice from anyone who has or has had a bunch of weight to lose would be greatly appreciated.
  • happy_feet
    happy_feet Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I havent had 100+ to lose... Bu I can tell u there are so many such people like that here on MFP..some jus at the beginnin, some at the top and others, like you, on the way... the way to a healthier happier life!:smile:

Do not ever lose hope in this tough journey,because every pound u lose will be worth the effort!
    And u surely know the rewards will be worth all the effort...:flowerforyou:
    It will take a while to get adjusted, afterall, bad habbits die hard...Really hard!:grumble:

I can already see the beautiful you in the picture(the close-up)... Remember, never humiliate yourself... You are beutiful now and will be beautiful 6months down or 1 year down the line...

I am no expert t advise on the problems you listed, but trust me...I hardly feel they are things u reall;y need to worry about ..now that u have already started with MFP...

Just be patient...and promise to Love yourself more by the day! thats when others start loving you!

Good Luck...Keep smiling..:heart::blushing: :heart: :blushing: :heart: :blushing: :heart:
  • happy_feet
    happy_feet Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    When the going gets tough...The tough gets going!

Have a lovely day...:flowerforyou:
  • amandababy23
    Options
    i need to lose 100 to be a healthy weight but i am actually only shooting to be over weight instead of obese. i am 5'9 and a large build, even without all the fat. I have lost 4 pounds this week and have worked really really really hard. i had a big slap in the face when my friends wii fit told me I was 250 pounds. i didnt believe it so i weighed myself on a scale. and the stupid wii was telling the truth. it would be nice to keep in contact with you and give each other motivation since we are both working toward a huge goal, or should i say a small one. so... i'm gonna keep it up, and i think you should too. as for your husband though.... thats his problem not yours. i have been married 6 years and my husband, even when i was over 300 (during my first pregnancy) still wanted me. Maybe you should think about things you do like about yourself and that will boost your confidence and that always will make you hotter! When i feel down about my weight, i like to get all done up (hair and make up) even if im just going to target. My point is focus on what assets you like and run with it. good luck... to both of us. ttyl, amanda
  • EvilPIB
    EvilPIB Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I applaud you; you took the first step by saying out loud what the problems are. So many of us are afraid to say things out loud.

2nd this is a life style change not a diet. When you turn this into a diet you are setting yourself up to fail. Don't give up because we all have good days and bad days and I had a very bad day yesterday. I went over my calories by over 700. I just couldn't stop myself so today I started new and have left yesterday where it belongs.

I know what it's like to look in a mirror and hate the image that's there. We all here at MFP have vowed to change that image and improve it from the inside out. It takes time and patience but if you keep to your goals, take it one day at a time, leave in the past any/all mistakes, and most important forgive yourself for any/all bad days you will reach your goal.

I started on this website thinking it wouldn't work but I was wrong. It has worked and I'm just now starting to see the results. I still have a long way to go but slow and steady will always win in the end.

Don't beat yourself up anymore, Vow to make a change and stick to it. We are our own worst enmies when it comes to ourseleves. Hang in there and remember this is a life style change not a diet.
  • connieq288
    connieq288 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    I started with needing to lose 147 lbs to make it to my goal of 150. I am down 34 lbs. It can be daunting knowing that you have so much to lose. But you can do it. It wont come off very easily but if you give up then you just have to start over again and you will have missed the weight that would have come off if you didnt give up. There are days taht I feel like giving up but I know that I can do this. My first goal is to just be under 200 by September to go Disney. 64 more lbs to go to make that goal.

Connie
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I'm not quite at 100. . .but. . .

It sounds like you're being pretty hard on yourself. . .I think that disordered eating of any sort happens because we're concentrating on being "in control" of everything in our lives. . .something's gotta give, so it's our eating. . .Ask yourself: would you tell a child or a stranger that you were "disgusted" with them? (I'm guessing . . .no?) So why on earth would you tell yourself that very cruel thing? You deserve to be kind to yourself. (I really think that we can't make any change until we approach that one. . .but that's just me.)

How I started was with ONE small change. Examine your habits, and pick just one self-destructive one to stop and one self-caring one to start. IMHO, this should be really individual.

I made two changes to start:
    five minutes (yep, just 5 minutes) of exercise every single day.
    no chocolate from the gas station/convenience store.
    (I still ate chocolate. . .but only if it was really high quality)

Every few weeks, when I thought I was ready, I made another change.

Here's where it's gotten me: 85 lbs lighter, 22% of body fat lost, and happier/more energetic than I've ever been. Just for the record, I still eat chocolate, and I now work out at least 4 hours per week.:wink:

Even a tiny change is a huge accomplishment. You can do it.:flowerforyou:
  • emorym
    emorym Posts: 344
    Options
    When I joined I couldn't quite bring myself to enter my ideal weight that would have put me at 120 pounds to lose. I picked a slightly higher goal weight thinking I would see how it went. I have lost 35 pounds so far and I am rethinking changing my goal weight. I could never imagine weighing 160 but I would love to weigh 180-190. I have been on a plateau for about a month now. I am working out more then ever before and trying to really watch what I eat.

Just keep honest with yourself and enjoy how much better you feel as you loose each pound. :smile:
  • artschoolgirl
    artschoolgirl Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I have lost over 100lbs. I'm still working on taking off my last 20 lbs or so. Take your time, i've been doing this over a course of 3 years, start slowly, start taking out bad habbits one at a time, don't try and do it all at once or you'll set yourself up for failure. Start out small like just walking places when you can, adding a veggie to your meal every night, only eating out once a week, ect. And most importantly, use MFP!!
    Good luck! You can do it!
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I am down 128 now with about 7 more to go for my goal. Here is the story I posted awhile ago. I updated it. :smile:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/14160-tam-s-story?page=4#posts-313931
  • Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I have over 100 pounds to lose. I understand completely where you're coming from. Some days it seems like too much to do, but you can do this. I'm a pretty stubborn person and I've gotten to the point where I think "If other people can do it, then so can I. I'm just as strong as they are." I agree with what everyone on here has said so far about starting small. I started on MFP in July and I haven't lost as much as I'd like, or as much as some people have, but I'm losing. I know I would lose more if I exercised every day, but I just can't bring myself to do it right now. I started out small... Cutting my calories and drinking 8+ glasses of water a day. Now (after 5 months) I'm finally getting to the point where I WANT to exercise each day. Slowly but surely, I'm changing my life, one step at a time...

Keep your chin up. You can do this! :flowerforyou:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    bumpin to respond later:flowerforyou: want to get in a few hours at the gym this morning, then hopefully my puter will be working more smoothly and I'll get back onto post.

one word before I go?

Attitude Attitude Attitude! I'm not so sure we can always start out loving ourselves on the early days of the journey...but as time goes on...we see how we are moving one step in front of the other...and we can look back over those steps we just took and feel victory for continuing the walk toward success.

oops...thinkin that may have been more than 1 word?:laugh:
  • chipper15173
    chipper15173 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    you can do this. when i was told i had diabeties that got me going, it was live or die. i am now just over 1/2 way there. i have 65#s left to goal. WOW typing that now makes me see i am closer than i thought. that makes me a happy camper today, and that the hard workout at the gym was worth it and those donuts are not (DH joke).
    you can do this, you will feel so much better, just take one small step at a time and add to them.
    good luck.
    chipper
  • RNLeslie
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments and support guys! I *know* all this stuff in my head, but there's some kind of block that's not allowing me to actually believe that it can be me who does all this. I know it's stupid. I was such a jock in high school. Who would have thought that I would be twice my healthy weight at some point? I am hoping that if I can just make myself go to the gym consistently, everything else will take care of itself. I am kind of weird (for lots of reasons) in that when I go to the gym and work hard, I refuse to blow all that hard work by eating junk. So, like I said, if I can just get my butt there... :sad:
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I have 80 - 90 pounds to loose, depending on how I feel when I get that teeny. :laugh:

For me, I just don't think about the end. I think about today and maybe tomorrow - next week at most. Of course there is the 'Oh! When I'm skinny I will be able to do this and this and this..' but I realize that probably won't be for another year or more. I'm happy to just not be getting heavier.

The thing to remember is if you keep doing what you're doing right now, it WILL happen. It takes the pressure off of thinking about it. Its going to happen if you exercise and eat right. So you can either be 100 pounds heavier than you want to be in 6 months or 50 pounds heavier than you want to be in 6 months.

Every pound lost is an achievement, whether you need to lose 10 or 100. :flowerforyou:
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    At my HEAVIEST wt not the posted wt here(this is my reformed lifestyle change profile) I was 230 lbs and got down to 128 and that is over 100 at one point in my life. but from the past two years its only 75. But yes to know that feeling I have. It is HARD but you get your life back
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    hope everyone is having an awesome day....:drinker: :heart: :drinker: :bigsmile:
  • Robstam11
    Robstam11 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Leslie you can do this. Two years ago I was where you are today and feeling very overwhelmed by the enourmity of how much I had to lose. I started changing my eating lifestyle two years ago by following the Richard Simmon Foodmover, I knew it worked because I had used it years before and had success. I have been overweight all my life and had had success on various weightoss plans but always gave up. when I started this time on Sept. 1, 2006 I promised that no matter what I would not give up on myself this time.

I started weighing 475 lbs, my all time high. Talk about overwhelming!!! I absolutly could not look at the BIG picture, I had to set mini goals for myself. Ones that I knew I could reach. Also for me planning was key, planning my meals a few days at a time and sticking to it, planning my excercise. Also a vital part for me was journaling everyday. I journal food, but also just a personal journal. My thoughts, how I feel etc. Now the hardest part of it for me is the excercise. first of all I hate it, and second I found it very hard at first. I started by just moving to music I enjoyed and then did some of Richard Simmons videos sitting down. I have along way to go, but I am moving. I know that if I expect to start off working out in a gym for 1 1/2 hours a day I am sitting myself up to get discouraged right of the bat. So set realistic goals for yourself.

Someone mentioned attitude, and it is also important to keep a great "Can Do" attitude. Just dont give up because you deserve to lose the weight and be happy with yourself. I am down to 389 and although I still have struggles at times, coming here and to the RS website give me great motivation and support. I am thankful to here stories of people who are losing and people who have already lost large amounts of weight. We can do this. I wish you the best on this journey.

Tammy:flowerforyou:
  • RNLeslie
    Options
    Thanks again to all who replied. It was nice to go back and read this and really *believe* it this time, now that I'm in a better mindset. It's nice to be able to relate to others that have been or are closer to my size than the smallish people I see everywhere I look, only needing to lose 5 pounds. I respect them for that, but it's a totally different ballgame, ya know?
  • DivaLisa
    DivaLisa Posts: 29
    Options
    start 296

goal 150 give or take 5/10 depending on my body ..

YEA i have well over a 100 to lose.

i was just telling hubby last night, that i didn't feel like i could really do it, how can i possibly get all of this off of me . for me most of it is in my stomach which is the worst place for it to be health wise ..

i have dropped 50 b4 then i gained 100 .. i actuall weighed 190/195 when i met hubby after losing the 50, then we started eating out alot and then i am almost 300 pounds and been battling it since ....

this time i decided i am going to stick this out no matter what, i joined MFP and decided i dont care if i lose just 1 pound a week, im doing this ..

but we have to stop looking at the big picture, and focus on baby steps, so right now i am just trying to get myself in the 280's .. i can do that :bigsmile: