Is Strength Training Neccesary to lose weight?

Options
Im just wondering if I should focus on losing weight first?

To make a long story shor....Ive lost alot of weight...but ive been stuck around the same size for about two years now(very frustrating) after I yo-yoed around a while i finally got focused with my diet and decided to not lift any weights for awhile....well,long and behold-i started losing about a lb a week?

WELL,I started lifting agian about three weeks ago and now the weight is coming back? So now Im wondering If i should just not lift until I get closer to my goal weight( 30lbs)?

What do you guys think?

Replies

• punka274
    punka274 Posts: 895
    Options

To make a long story shor....Ive lost alot of weight...but ive been stuck around the same size for about two years now(very frustrating) after I yo-yoed around a while i finally got focused with my diet and decided to not lift any weights for awhile....well,long and behold-i started losing about a lb a week?

WELL,I started lifting agian about three weeks ago and now the weight is coming back? So now Im wondering If i should just not lift until I get closer to my goal weight( 30lbs)?

What do you guys think?
  • 5mule
    5mule Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Strength training is ESSENTIAL to losing weight and maintaining weight loss!!! Be sure that when you're lifting, you're not also overeating. Starting a new strength training routine can make you hungry and cause you to eat an extra 300 or 400 calories, which can totally derail your weight loss plan over a week or two. Remember, strength training doesn't burn as much calories as aerobics, but it does build lean muscle mass and joint and bone strength, which are all essential to good health. Try doing simple things first. Lunges, 5 lb. dumbbell presses over your head, lat pulls, situps. Then stretch. It shouldn't take you more than 15 or 20 minutes 2 or 3 times per week to get results -- that last!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I personally feel you have to do what is right for you.

I LOVE the feeling of having muscles...even now below 20 more pounds of fat. Of course I am 47 and at your age you may still be very strong....but for me when I can lift my own bag of dogfood with our grunting like and old lady.....now that is powerful!!

I have heard many different ways of losing. Fitness chick has lost 180 sum-odd pounds with diet but also a LOT of exercise. Tami has lost 125 + and when she broke out of the old 'suit' she had fabulous muscles to show off!

So do what works for you....motivation is key. If you are motivated by lost pounds...go for it for a few months.

Good Luck!:flowerforyou:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to note that strength training helps to keep you 'tone' as you lose that weight.... in other words, it helps to tighten the skin back and not leave you with as much 'wiggle' in the skin.
  • lisarae
    lisarae Posts: 113
    Options
    What has worked for me is mostly cardio. However, I do use handweights with large reps. I keep my handweights under 10 lbs. I also find kickboxing does both toning and is excellent cardio. I find myself getting leaner but also stronger. I also switch up my routine every month or so. I run, that is my constant, but I switch workout tapes.
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I've stuck with mostly cardio training. I do mix in circuit training which has weights built in. For me, I need the calories burned while doing cardio to eat more. I can't stay at 1200 on my rest days anyway. So on rest days I eat about 1400. If lifting burned more, I'd probably do it more. Am I wrong about this though, how many cals does lifting really burn???
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

What do you guys think?

if you're gaining weight and the only thing you've changed up is adding strength training....it's more likely it's muscle & some water tossed in since you've began to do weights....the water won't stay...the muscles will! Muscle weighs more than fat.... Muscle burns fat......doing strength training continues burning fat all day even well after you've left the gym....:bigsmile:

Weight training keeps your metabolism boosted through out the day (which means continuing to burn cals all day even while not at the gym:drinker: ).... it keeps blood sugars regulated (which we ALL NEED) and often helps decrease appetite. It might temporarily show a gain on the scale but don't think of that as added fat....it's not!!:noway:

Keep up the weights....toning is a wonderful thing to discover when you begin realizing how defined muscles look and feel....beats losing the weight and only have less lbs. but still the fat to show on our bodies....

It's just scary sometimes when you lose so much then you gain and it sorta freaks our mind out a bit...when you know you're doing all the right things.

It's working just right for you....!! Good luck you've come along way Baby:drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • rogers8702
    rogers8702 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    i could be wrong here.. but i always thought that lifting helps to burn calories longer, you dont burn them all at once like doing cardio, but when you lift you continue to burn calories long after your done.
  • kellch
    kellch Posts: 7,849 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of cardio to burn calories and melt away the fat. But muscle burns fat quicker. Strength training is a very good thing to get into. Cardio is also very important for many reasons. Burning calories and strengthening your heart. They are both essential along with a healthy diet.:drinker:

Congrats on your progress thus far :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • punka274
    punka274 Posts: 895
    Options
    Thanks Guys!

Ive decided to keep doing my weight lifting but instead of the fullbody heavy lifting that ive been doing...im gonna try doing two circuits a week,maybe even three. Lets see if that don't change things up a bit.

Besides, I :heart: weight lifting:blushing:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    Thanks Guys!

Ive decided to keep doing my weight lifting but instead of the fullbody heavy lifting that ive been doing...im gonna try doing two circuits a week,maybe even three. Lets see if that don't change things up a bit.

Besides, I :heart: weight lifting:blushing:
    Sounds like a great plan Punka:flowerforyou: