Sweet tooth help!

Options

Replies

• cornerofgreystreet
    cornerofgreystreet Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Hersheys kisses! 22 calories a piece, takes care of my sweet tooth without the guilt.
  • millionsofpeaches
    Options
    bump.
  • DTelleen
    DTelleen Posts: 13
    Options
    Try a serving of Jelly Bellys, only 140 calories from 36 of the sweet little sugar bombs and they work everytime for me.
  • Sezmo83
    Sezmo83 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Dark chocolate mints work for me. I've found if I'm craving something sweet after a meal one of those is enough to stop it.
    I don't know... maybe this is keeping me from losing weight as well. But I'm only eating 1200 calories or less every day and working out like crazy, so I'm very frustrated. Only 8 lbs lost so far. I thought it would come off a lot faster. I am recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism and started on synthroid 3 weeks ago.

Any advice out there????
    Eat more. 1200 calories is probably not enough if you're working out like crazy. It's not recomended to go below the 1200 a day.
  • tishag
    tishag Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism in February, give your medicine a while to level you out and you might start to notice a change. I was only on my meds for 1 months before starting a RX appetite supressant so I don't know if it was one medicine or the other or the combo but I did lose some weight. I also noticed that since starting my meds (I take levothyroxine) it is alot easier to maintain my weight even if im not actually loosing. I would rather be loosing, but at least Im not gaining.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I was raised to always have dessert after dinner - this habit has carried over into my adult life. Since I know I will want something "dessert-y" after dinner... I account for it in my calories. I know telling myself I can't or won't eat it is unrealistic, so I make sure I have calories leftover for it.

There are some lower calorie alternatives out there - Skinny Cow is a good one. They have all kinds of sweet treats with decent calories for what you're getting. Best thing to do? Go to the grocery store and look around - see what you can find. I eat what I want, when I want it - but I eat it in moderation. Since I follow serving sizes to the number - I make sure whatever I pick gives me the most for my calorie count. :)
  • fitaliciag
    fitaliciag Posts: 373
    Options
    Skinny Cow makes some good ice cream treats that are low in cal.

i eat one of these almost everyday. Fiber Plus caramel chocolate granola bars taste liek sonoma girl scout cookies :)

I LOVE ice cream, so i go get froyo instead :)

also, you can make your own healthy desserts with Shakeology :)
  • lgwmab
    lgwmab Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Quaker has some 90 calorie packs that are very yummy, mini rice cakes drizzeled with caramel, orchocolate. Skinny Cow candy is also very yummy. I love sweets too, but limit to one, at the end of the day.
  • ivy2009
    ivy2009 Posts: 75
    Options
    The sweet tooth weanig is a process, and it does not necessarily happen overnight. Keep plugging away at it. The more you eat more naturally sweet things, the more it will help. Trust me as I too have a sweet tooth. So if you want something sweet a handful or raisins or dried cheeries is yummy and real sweet. How about yogurt and top it with fresh fruit and a very small amount of cereal or granola. Skinny cow ice cream sandwhiches are great. I grab a small handful of M & Ms. 8 to 10 M & Ms is about 25 calories. So I count them out and eat a small amount just to get the taste of chocolate. Be sure you are otherwise full with healthy foods and liquids and then the sweets are there for a small taste but not to fill you up.
  • nb9251
    nb9251 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    If strawberries are in season I get the little dessert shells and cool whip. It's liek a strawberry shortcake. the shells are about 80 calories and with the strawberries and cool whip it's only like 160 calories for a whole cup of strawberries
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism in February, give your medicine a while to level you out and you might start to notice a change. I was only on my meds for 1 months before starting a RX appetite supressant so I don't know if it was one medicine or the other or the combo but I did lose some weight. I also noticed that since starting my meds (I take levothyroxine) it is alot easier to maintain my weight even if im not actually loosing. I would rather be loosing, but at least Im not gaining.
    [/quote

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's about 16 years ago. It's hypothyroid too. Unfortunately I never lost any weight when I went on my medication, but my hair and nails got better, and my sleep quality as well.

My favorite dessert is 1/2 cup of plain yogurt, 1/2 - 1 tbsp of maple syrup and about 2 ounces of frozen blueberries. I mix it all up and it's like heaven.
  • Annette_rose
    Annette_rose Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Oh, one of my favorite new things is Vitamuffins. I haven't found them at Wal-Mart yet but have at Target. When I crave chocolate, etc, (and they have so many flavors), they are wonderful!!!! I tried to copy and paste the nutritional info for you here, but couldn't get it to work for me, but they have 100 calories, 9 dietary fiber, 6 of that fiber being insoluble which is good, 4 protein which is not real high, but they have an amazing amount of your daily vitamin and mineral requirements. And, they taste so good you will never know you are eating something healthy. I am going to try and copy the site for you here. I am really hoping Wal-Mart will start carrying them and they might if I were to request it. Not sure. If I want something crunchy and sweet, I munch on a serving of the new Cinnamon Burst Cheerios. They are wonderful and have lots of fiber also and a slightly sweet taste with crunch. I was able to copy/past the nutrition on these: (Nutrition Facts – 1 cup – 110 calories, 2 grams of fat, 0 grams of saturated fat, 0.5 grams of polyunsaturated fat, 1 gram of monounsaturated fat, 0 milligrams of cholesterol, 125 milligrams of sodium, 65 milligrams of potassium, 27 grams of carbohydrates, 5 grams of fiber, 9 grams of sugar, 13 grams of other carbohydrates, 2 grams of protein, and a bunch of vitamins and minerals.)

Here are the Vitamuffins:
    http://www.vitalicious.com/4boch1.html
  • ddamore
    ddamore Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I too have a sweet tooth, especially for chocolate or ice cream. Here are my snacks:

Ice Cream Sandwiches- I personally don't like the Skinny Cow's, i feel they have the same aftertaste that diet soda has (which i hate). I actually compaired their nutricianl facts with a regular ice cream sandwich and the ice cream sandwich had 30 more calories, 15 more grams of sodium and actually less carbs then the skinny cow so to me it's worth it to eat my ice cream sandwich. I really try to avoid anything that is low fat or non fat because usually there is more sodium in it and i have family history of heart disease so this is a concern for me.

Chocolate chips- i keep a bag in my freezer and when I need a boost I get a small handfull.

jello with cool whip- i feel cool whip makes anything feel like dessert!

Ice cream dixie cups- normal size portion!!

Quaker mini rice cakes with chocolate drizzle- these are really satisfying

I plan to try the cocoa almonds that someone suggested, that sounds yummy! I also heard before that chocolate covered strawberry's are a good dessert.. and why not add some banana's to the mix! Frozen banana on a stick.. i might go make those tonight!
  • liyabug
    liyabug Posts: 5
    Options
    Thank you for responding! I'm so frustrated.

I'm 5'2 and currently weight 166 lbs. I'm working out 6 days a week. 3 days of weight training and 3 days of cardio. You say 1200 is too few.. some days I do go up to 1400. What would you suggest for calories? And do you really think this is why I'm not losing? I don't think 8 lbs in 3 weeks is good at all.. I thought it would come off much quicker!
  • Skyoctober
    Skyoctober Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have icecream every day. I fit it in with my calorie intake...when I work out and earn extra calories I may eat something like a DQ blizzard or go to this great homemade icecream place by my house. Kinda like a reward. Some times if I get a sweet tooth later in the evening I will have A bowl of cereal (Lucky Charms are my favorite).
  • Linsey1973
    Linsey1973 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Suger-free jello/jelly.
  • Christi6604
    Christi6604 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I'm a sweet addict too. My weight had plateued until I cut sweets six days a week and allow myself to have a dessert one day a week. I'm eating the same amount of calories - just not using my calories for sweets. That kick started my metabolism again and now I'm losing again.

Personally, I tried the reduced-fat desserts and didn't find them very satisfying...or I couldn't stop with one. I've craved sweets a lot less since I've cut back.
  • msiamjan
    msiamjan Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I too like the skinny cow products. Recently found dark chocolate covered powerberries at Trader Joes, good for a choclate craving. Berries with fat free whipped cream. Fat free ricotta with nutella stirred into it. Also, check out the Hungry Girl site, she's very into low cal but decadent feeling desserts.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    I eat a skinny cow ice cream everynight.
  • msiamjan
    msiamjan Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I don't think 8 lbs in 3 weeks is good at all.. I thought it would come off much quicker!

It sounds like a lot to me! That's averaging over 2 lbs a week and the general recommendation for healthy weight loss is 1 lb a week. I don't lose quickly no matter what I do, but as long as the trajectory is down I consider it successful. Good luck! (I have been on thyroid meds for 25 years. They don't help me lose weight, but they stopped unexplained gaining).