Consider your eating disorder.

Options
Really think about it.

Do you obsess over your food?

Do you obsess over how much you eat or don't eat? Count calories obsessively and panic over going over?

Do you use food in inappropriate ways, such as for comfort when emotions overwhelm you?

Does the number on the scale cause you emotional distress?

Do you or have you used diet after diet to lose an amount of weight?

Consider your eating disorder. Scientifically it is proven that anorexia and bulimia are not the only eating disorders out there. Everything from college students trying to keep their figures by skipping all meals to drink their calories in beer in order to maintain a "party" lifestyle, to middle aged men and women trying fad diet after fad diet only to lose a small amount of weight and meet with failure and the emotional stain it causes. These thought patterns display eating disorder type patterns. People who battle with weight, whether obese or under weight, adopt this obsessive lifestyle and have a hard time seeing food for what it is. A fuel source for the body.

It is important to remember that although food can be highly enjoyable and sustain a healthy body, it can also be abused much like a drug in order to support a fragile happiness.

My word of warning to all of you, when you lose weight, try to learn more about food and what it does; how it affects your body for the better or worse. Because the key to losing the weight and keeping it off is a healthy relationship with food... then a healthy view of our own bodies. It is important to remember that you losing weight it a major success, because if we only see what we haven't lost or how far we need to go in order to feel better about ourselves.. it is likely we will fail.

Replies

• MrsSorenson
    MrsSorenson Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I agree, I've said that for a long time, that Obsessive Eating is an eating disorder. Thank you for putting this out there! I'm sure there are many of us that will agree!!
  • lizziego63
    Options
    Thank you for this post. I need to read something like this today. Unfortunately, I can answer yes to all of those questions. My husband just asked me last night why I obsess so much over my weight and I didn't really have an answer for him. Your post is a wake up call that I need to change my attitude. I've come a long way over the last 4 years and should be more positive about the amount of weight I've lost, rather than these last 10 or 15 pounds I want to lose.

Thank you, again, and keep up the awesome work! :-D
  • jess42982
    Options
    just thought I'd add that the criteria are being revised for 'eating disorders'.

http://www.dsm5.org/proposedrevision/Pages/FeedingandEatingDisorders.aspx

They won't be official for a while still, but it's good to know that other types are being considered besides the standards.