Getting my wisdom teeth out.......

Options
So I know I'm not going to be eating properly for a few days....and I know that my body will go into major starvation mode....and I will be losing weight in an unhealthy way.

How do you guys suggest I go about food.....do I drink high cal liquids to try and fill in my calories??? Last time i didn't care...but now I'm on the health kick...so trying to do everything the healthiest way.

Replies

• dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I had a dental surgery last year. I made a LOT of smoothies! You can add peanut butter to bananas and whip it up with some coconut milk for something that is going to meet your calories, and give you some energy. Also juicing fruits and veggies will help a lot.
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    Homemade Smoothies and soups......thats what I did when I had mine out....and I really doubt you will go into starvation mode in that short a time.....I think I was back to eating somewhat regular food with 3 days or so...
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    When I had mine out I drank protein shakes and smoothies, you should only be hampered for a few days. "starvation mode" takes days or possibly a couple weeks before the famine response kicks in.
  • DarthCeltic
    DarthCeltic Posts: 1,274 Member
    Options
    So I know I'm not going to be eating properly for a few days....and I know that my body will go into major starvation mode....and I will be losing weight in an unhealthy way.

How do you guys suggest I go about food.....do I drink high cal liquids to try and fill in my calories??? Last time i didn't care...but now I'm on the health kick...so trying to do everything the healthiest way.

dont get them out... then you wont be smart!!!
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I ate when I felt like it, and ate what I felt like. For me, I had cream of wheat, which you could def add protein powder to... and I had yogurt, and chicken noodle soup with milk in it! (ok, sonic ice cream too, but I wouldn't suggest that)
  • kaaatielove
    kaaatielove Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Its really not that bad.
    I ate a cheeseburger the day i got mine out. hahah.
    just have smoothies for the first day or two, you'll be amazed at how quickly you recover from that.
  • fitaliciag
    fitaliciag Posts: 373
    Options
    FYI, "starvation" mode takes days/weeks to kick in. you'll be fine with smoothies and soup....yogurt (Greek)
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Drink some protein shakes/smoothies.

Your body won't go into starvation mode over a few days. As a rule, it takes more than a few days for starvation mode to kick in. As long as you are getting some calories - in liquid form, you'll be fine. :)

Edited to add: PLEASE listen to what they tell you when it comes to eating/drinking. I was stubborn last winter when I had my bottom wisdom extracted and ended up with a dry socket. That was the WORST pain I've ever felt in my life (I'd take unmedicated childbirth again over dry socket pain!). PLEASE.. do what they say!

Have some yogurt, smoothies, protein shakes, etc. Give it time to heal.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it. You can still get soft calories. Just focus on healing. Good luck.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    This is going to sound kinda funny, but when I had mine out the first thing I did was eat a turkey sandwich with the crust cut off.

It's soft, easy to chew as long as you use the front teeth only :)

You can also nosh on things like applesauce, yogurt, etc... so your not stuck on a totally liquid diet.
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I just had this surgery last month!! I lived on protein shakes for 8 days. I basically used my protein powder, vanilla or chocolate ice cream for a few calories, some pb2 and blended it all up. I also ate full fat yogurt, applesauce, mashed potatoes and jello.
  • KPaden1221
    KPaden1221 Posts: 433
    Options
    i had mine out the tues before thanksgiving and ate thanksgiving dinner on thurs.. twice.. i had ribs the day after i got them and ate mashed potatoes the day i got them out.. but DO NOT USE A STRAW or drink ANY SODA and try to stay away from Caffiene for a bit.. it messes with the stiches and healing process you'll get food stuck in the holes, but they will eventually close up.. it's not that bad really..
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Also, mine was an odd case. I had my 2 lower ones impacted so my jaw hurt a ton. I literally couldn't chew anything for 8 days. My brother in law had his out the day after i did and was eating hotdogs at my other brothers brithday party.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options

Edited to add: PLEASE listen to what they tell you when it comes to eating/drinking. I was stubborn last winter when I had my bottom wisdom extracted and ended up with a dry socket. That was the WORST pain I've ever felt in my life (I'd take unmedicated childbirth again over dry socket pain!). PLEASE.. do what they say!

Have some yogurt, smoothies, protein shakes, etc. Give it time to heal.

Being a Dental Assistant formerly with an Oral Surgeon. What she said! Seriously things like salt, using mouth wash too soon, trying to resume activity too soon, eating something too hot the first day can all effect clotting, and if the clot comes out or doesnt form properly you will be in immense pain. And there is a MAJOR difference between dry socket pain and post-op pain.
  • emma1488
    emma1488 Posts: 175
    Options
    I didn't eat much and got to my goal weight! Haha. But then it came back...

Better to be safe than sorry, don't eat solids or anything that involves chewing. I ate mashed avocado and icecream. But to be honest I didn't want to eat anything. I just slept and drank plenty of water.