What are symptoms of IR in PCOS Women?

Options
Hi,

I have never asked my doctor to test for IR, and I have PCOS. But in reading a few topics about it recently, I am curious about what happens if you eat something that is not good for you if you have IR?

Like potatoes etc. What do you feel etc if you eat it and have IR?

Thanks!

Replies

• megamoo04
    megamoo04 Posts: 269
    Options
    what is IR?

I have PCOS and i never heard of IR
  • bgredenbaugh
    bgredenbaugh Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hi, found an article about diet and PCOS/IR. Hope this helps!

http://healthimpactnews.com/2011/pcos-and-insulin-resistance-diet/
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Insulin Resistance?

It's a risk for EVERY woman with PCOS as far as I know. I try to cut back on carbs, it's hard :(
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I have never asked my doctor to test for IR, and I have PCOS. But in reading a few topics about it recently, I am curious about what happens if you eat something that is not good for you if you have IR?

Thanks!

http://theprimalparent.com/2011/07/07/an-unconventional-approach-to-pcos-polycystic-ovarian-syndrome/

I don't suffer from it but like to send this link to people who do. She answers questions, too. I just thought it was interesting. this poor girl was sick her entire life and she finally gave up on doctors and took matters into her own hands.
  • OnWisconsin84
    OnWisconsin84 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed in May with PCOS & never would've known had I not been trying to conceive (still am...) I'm now on 1500mg Metformin to help balance my IR which I've seen a drastic improvement in since starting the pills. Prior to taking Met if I at something high in carbs or sugar I would experience a HUGE swing in my weight. I could put on 5-8 pounds overnight, even thought I didn't consume a lot of extra calories. Since learning I have PCOS I've modified my diet drastically & cut out most bad carbs & sugars, and have recently started limiting my sodium too. This has really helped with the huge swings in weight and I rarely see a big jump unless I consume more carbs, sugar or sodium than usual. As for the feelings I have when I eat those foods, I'm pretty normal actually. A lot of people say they have problems with diarrhea and whatnot, but I've found that if you're managing your PCOS with a balanced diet (watching carbs & sugars) these problems should be few & far between. Not sure if that helps, but I'm happy to answer any other questions you have. I've done a ton of research on PCOS since being diagnosed & try to be proactive with my health & TTC.
  • beatlemom
    beatlemom Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    IR is insulin resistance, and most women with PCOS have IR. From About.com:
    PCOS and insulin resistance are frequently found together, which makes it important to understand this common problem. Insulin is a hormone which is produced by the pancreas, a gland in the abdomen with a lot of functions. It is typically secreted in response to a large amount of glucose, or sugar, in the blood. Once produced, insulin causes glucose to be taken into the body cells to be used for energy. Women with PCOS frequently have insulin resistance, meaning their body does not respond as quickly to insulin. The sluggish response will cause larger and larger amounts of insulin to be required before glucose is taken into the body tissues, and eventually a change in the way the body deals with sugar. Consistently high levels of glucose in the blood can lead to diabetes.
    Certain characteristics are common amongst people with insulin resistance:

•Being overweight, especially around the midsection
    •Sedentary lifestyle
    •Age greater than 40 years
    •High blood pressure
    •High cholesterol
    •Having PCOS
    •Certain ethnic groups (Hispanic, African American or Native American)
    If you meet some of these criteria, your doctor may suspect that you are insulin resistant. The next step is blood testing to look at how well your body deals with sugar. These tests, used to diagnose pre-diabetes or diabetes, include the fasting glucose level and the glucose tolerance test.

And from WomentoWomen.com
    Insulin resistance
    Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS)
    by Marcelle Pick, OB/GYN NP and Marcy Holmes, Women’s Health NP

It’s amazing how often we see women at our medical clinic with health issues that can be traced back to insulin resistance. Polycystic ovarian syndrome, or PCOS, is one such condition that we see with increasing frequency. PCOS affects about 5–10% of women of childbearing age, and can occur at any age before menopause. It can often go undiagnosed for months, because its symptoms overlap with so many other women’s health concerns. PCOS itself is not a disease and no one is sure yet what causes it in the first place.

Women with PCOS have ovaries that create an abundance of follicles each month without producing an egg. PCOS can contribute to irregular periods, depression, excessive weight gain (despite diet and exercise efforts), acne, and excess facial hair. It is also the most common cause of infertility among women in the US.

PCOS is often temporary. We see it in girls going through puberty (when their ovaries are trying to set a regular menstrual pattern) and in women during the transition years of perimenopause. It usually goes hand-in-hand with insulin resistance. We find that PCOS responds extremely well to a program of natural support that restores hormonal balance, especially with the dietary changes we recommend for women with insulin resistance.

What is PCOS?
    Understanding PCOS is easier if one tries to picture what goes on inside our ovaries every month.

Each month our ovaries begin to ripen a number of follicles. You may be surprised to hear that normal follicles are cysts, in that they are pockets of tissue filled with benign fluid and hormones, mostly estrogen. The number of immature follicles changes with each cycle — but during normal times, one or two follicles grow stronger than the others and produce an egg. When we ovulate, the egg in the dominant follicle pops out and flows into the fallopian tube on its way to the uterus. This event is caused by and in turn triggers a host of hormonal secretions, including estrogen and progesterone, which work together to prepare the body to support a pregnancy if the egg is fertilized or a normal monthly period if it is not.

Polycystic ovaries
    With PCOS, alterations in a woman’s hormonal pathways cause her ovaries to create a lot of follicles that form like a pearl necklace on the ovaries. No single follicle becomes dominant and ovulation can’t occur.

For the most part, these multiple ovarian cysts are not dangerous in themselves — unlike larger ovarian cysts, which can cause pain and rupture. But they do bring with them a range of uncomfortable side effects. Because a woman with PCOS doesn’t ovulate, her natural sequence of hormonal events gets interrupted, her levels of estrogen and androgens (testosterone and DHEA) remain high, and her body reacts with symptoms.

What are the symptoms of PCOS?
    The most common symptoms of PCOS are irregular or absent periods, infertility, increased hair growth and acne. Unusual weight gain, even with dieting or increased exercise, is very common, although thin women also can have PCOS. Women with PCOS will often go for months without a period and then start bleeding heavily for days. This occurs when the uterine lining has gotten too thick and the body must naturally shed it. Because PCOS disrupts ovulation it can be very difficult to become pregnant.

Other signs of PCOS include acne, high blood pressure, obesity, and abnormal facial and body hair growth (due to too much testosterone). One of the less recognizable symptoms of PCOS is depression, which can be misread as a bipolar illness. While depression stems from many factors, we think it is always a good idea to consider PCOS if patients have other symptoms. In some medical practices antidepressants are prescribed which do not alleviate the underlying issues and therefore are not very helpful.

PCOS and insulin resistance
    Another telltale symptom of PCOS is steady, significant weight gain — even with reduced caloric intake. Some women report that they’re gaining weight no matter what they do. It’s not unusual for patients with PCOS to tell me they’ve recently gained 60 or more pounds in less than a year, despite dieting all the time and exercise. This weight usually accumulates around their middle. Why do some women with PCOS gain weight at such alarming rates? The research is showing that PCOS is strongly linked with insulin resistance.

Insulin resistance — a condition some people get by eating too many carbohydrates — leads to sustained high levels of insulin in the bloodstream. It is possible that this extra insulin hitches onto the receptors lining the ovary and stimulates cyst production. This is an issue that should be monitored because women with insulin resistance have a much higher risk of developing other serious health problems, like diabetes, heart disease, and metabolic syndrome.

On the bright side, women with insulin resistance and PCOS respond very well to modifications in their diet, adding nutritional support in the form of soy and other functional foods, multivitamins, minerals and omega-3’s, and beginning an exercise program. We’ve found that our patients often get normal periods as their insulin levels normalize. Insulin resistance is always treatable, which for us as practitioners is very exciting!
    I hope this helps.
    Most women with PCOS find it easier to lose weight by consuming less carbs and sugar.
  • OnWisconsin84
    OnWisconsin84 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Thanks!

http://theprimalparent.com/2011/07/07/an-unconventional-approach-to-pcos-polycystic-ovarian-syndrome/

I don't suffer from it but like to send this link to people who do. She answers questions, too. I just thought it was interesting. this poor girl was sick her entire life and she finally gave up on doctors and took matters into her own hands.

This link is amazing. It confirms everything my doctor told me to do. I was VERY reluctant to change my diet because I was eating a vegetarian / veganish diet prior to learning of my PCOS. I was eating mostly fruits & vegetables which after doing my own research (I was pissed at my doctor for bashing vegetarianism / veganism) I realized that that was definitely not the right diet for me, someone suffering from PCOS. Thanks for sharing this!!
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Most people with PCOS have insulin resistance.... and often if they don't watch their weight, end up with type II diabetes as well -- then you have a double whammy which makes it pretty much impossible to lose weight.

The only thing that works for me is a new lifestyle.... high protein, low carb which means low sugar.
    I changed my goals on MFP to 45% protein, 25% carbs, 30% fat. No one is perfect and when I cheat (like that time of month when chocolate and donuts are more important than breathing) i often feel it... and have hypoglycemic reaction 1-2 hours after.

A good start is getting rid of the bad carbs, bringing in the good....
  • hpsnickers1
    Options
    Hi,

Thanks!

This link is amazing. It confirms everything my doctor told me to do. I was VERY reluctant to change my diet because I was eating a vegetarian / veganish diet prior to learning of my PCOS. I was eating mostly fruits & vegetables which after doing my own research (I was pissed at my doctor for bashing vegetarianism / veganism) I realized that that was definitely not the right diet for me, someone suffering from PCOS. Thanks for sharing this!!

You are very welcome. I have had all of my own issues with the bad carbs (two immediate family member with diabetes. It is killing my dad). Irregular periods. We're talking 7 days every two weeks. Waking up in the middle of the night doubled over in pain - sciatica pain down my leg, too. Digestive issues, eczema, constant flatulence and bloat, anxiety, depression, mood swings, bad sleep. When I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia last year I knew it was time to do something other than take a pill I can't afford. My 9 months of research led me into the Primal lifestyle and it was the best thing I have done for my body and health. People knock it but I don't care. For me, N=1
  • DawnWendalynn1973
    DawnWendalynn1973 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    You are very welcome. I have had all of my own issues with the bad carbs (two immediate family member with diabetes. It is killing my dad). Irregular periods. We're talking 7 days every two weeks. Waking up in the middle of the night doubled over in pain - sciatica pain down my leg, too. Digestive issues, eczema, constant flatulence and bloat, anxiety, depression, mood swings, bad sleep. When I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia last year I knew it was time to do something other than take a pill I can't afford. My 9 months of research led me into the Primal lifestyle and it was the best thing I have done for my body and health. People knock it but I don't care. For me, N=1

What is the Primal Lifestyle?
  • DawnWendalynn1973
    DawnWendalynn1973 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the info, I am somewhat informed on IR through my reading. But I was hoping for people that know they are IR, to tell me what their body does if they eat the bad carbs/sugar. I had leftover dinner for lunch...it was chicken, mashed potatoes and beans (long green and yellow beans). Not long after it, I felt really sluggish, and tired. I really had to fight off sleep kind of tired feeling.

Is this a reaction to the food/carbs in my lunch?

The info posted here in the thread though, has been amazing. Thanks for taking the time to post it.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • shar140
    Options
    Thanks so much for the info, I am somewhat informed on IR through my reading. But I was hoping for people that know they are IR, to tell me what their body does if they eat the bad carbs/sugar. I had leftover dinner for lunch...it was chicken, mashed potatoes and beans (long green and yellow beans). Not long after it, I felt really sluggish, and tired. I really had to fight off sleep kind of tired feeling.

The info posted here in the thread though, has been amazing. Thanks for taking the time to post it.

I would say yes, it is a reaction from too much carbs (in my experience, anyway; I can't see your diary to know what quantity you had).

For info on Primal, try www.marksdailyapple.com - I started it at the beginning of this month.

Also, see if you can get Gary Taubes' "Why We Get Fat" from the library.
  • Caperfae
    Caperfae Posts: 433
    Options
    I had to go the glucose tolerance test. Drink that sweet orange stuff and they took blood at the 1 hour mark and again at the 3 hour mark.
  • beatlemom
    beatlemom Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I am IR with PCOS. I feel exhausted after I eat bad carbs, especially white flour and sugar.
  • shar140
    Options
    Hi,

Thanks!

Anything with wheat or sugar (or both!) are the worst for me - I'll crave more, More, MORE of it after I eat it, with reckless abandon! Afterwards, I feel lethargic...and if it was late at night, I'll have crazy dreams from all the sugar. I'll have to pee at night, once if not twice. Sometimes I'll even have a "carb hangover" the next morning. Or be starving, even though I stuffed myself. Also, I'll just feel gross after too many carbs - my fingers swell up and throb.

When I was at my highest weight (well, even before then, really), I had the dark skin patches, called acanthosis nigricans - see here: http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/insulinresistance/#symptoms . From the way my previous dr explained it, it was excess insulin that came to the surface of the skin (excess insulin caused by IR). I had them on the back of my neck, my lower back, and my right side. ALL OVER, basically. I had actually forgotten about the huge one on my side, until now - it eventually went away, but the ones on the back of my neck & lower back stayed longer. But they have all gone away now.

Here's another link explaining what the patches are: http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/acanthosis-nigricans-overview
    Interesting they don't mention *what* kind of diet will help - but refer to my previous post about Primal & Gary Taubes' book.
  • hpsnickers1
    Options

I would say yes, it is a reaction from too much carbs (in my experience, anyway; I can't see your diary to know what quantity you had).

For info on Primal, try www.marksdailyapple.com - I started it at the beginning of this month.

Also, see if you can get Gary Taubes' "Why We Get Fat" from the library.

And when you read that get Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary. It's focused reading and takes a while to read but is great information. People say he cherry picked his data and yes he certainly did. And when you read it you it will make sense. The data he cherry picked is the data that got twisted, ignored or explained away to support some "expert" or "researchers" beliefs. When a scientist proposes a hypothesis he should go into research doing his best to disprove that hypothesis. Unfortunately, the majority of the "experts, researchers, scientists" didn't do that. They pulled from studies only the evidence that would support their hypothesis and twisted or ignored data that didn't.
  • shar140
    Options
    Re: Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary.

I'm still waiting in line for that book from the library, there were like a zillion people ahead of me! lol