Tortilla Soup

Options
SoupNazi
SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
18197.jpg

Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 50 Minutes Ready In: 1 Hour 10 Minutes
Yields: 6 servings

"Shredded cooked chicken and broiled onion rings are added to chicken stock with a chopped jalapeno pepper, tomatoes and lime juice in this soup served with crushed tortilla chips, cheese and avocado."

INGREDIENTS:
9 cups chicken broth
6 cloves roasted garlic
1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
2 fresh jalapeno peppers,
sliced into rings 1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 yellow onion, sliced
2 cups shredded, cooked
chicken meat
1 lime, juiced
6 (6 inch) corn tortillas, cut into
strips and toasted for garnish

DIRECTIONS:
1. In heavy pot, bring the broth to a boil. Add garlic, tomatoes, chopped onion, jalapeno, and oregano to the stocks. Simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
2. Broil the sliced onions until soft and a little brown. Add broiled onions, chicken, lime juice to soup, and simmer till chicken is heated.
3. Place toasted tortilla strips in each bowl and pour soup over strips.

Nutritional Information

Servings Per Recipe: 6

Amount Per Serving

Calories: 194

Total Fat: 5.7g
Cholesterol: 35mg
Sodium: 1568mg
Total Carbs: 18.5g
Dietary Fiber: 2.5g
Protein: 17.8g

*sodium content is somewhat high and lower sodium broth can be used as a substitute

Replies

• SoupNazi
    Options
    18197.jpg

Prep Time: 20 Minutes
    Cook Time: 50 Minutes Ready In: 1 Hour 10 Minutes
    Yields: 6 servings

"Shredded cooked chicken and broiled onion rings are added to chicken stock with a chopped jalapeno pepper, tomatoes and lime juice in this soup served with crushed tortilla chips, cheese and avocado."

INGREDIENTS:
    9 cups chicken broth
    6 cloves roasted garlic
    1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
    1/2 yellow onion, chopped
    2 fresh jalapeno peppers,
    sliced into rings 1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/2 yellow onion, sliced
    2 cups shredded, cooked
    chicken meat
    1 lime, juiced
    6 (6 inch) corn tortillas, cut into
    strips and toasted for garnish

DIRECTIONS:
    1. In heavy pot, bring the broth to a boil. Add garlic, tomatoes, chopped onion, jalapeno, and oregano to the stocks. Simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
    2. Broil the sliced onions until soft and a little brown. Add broiled onions, chicken, lime juice to soup, and simmer till chicken is heated.
    3. Place toasted tortilla strips in each bowl and pour soup over strips.

Nutritional Information

Servings Per Recipe: 6

Amount Per Serving

Calories: 194

Total Fat: 5.7g
    Cholesterol: 35mg
    Sodium: 1568mg
    Total Carbs: 18.5g
    Dietary Fiber: 2.5g
    Protein: 17.8g

*sodium content is somewhat high and lower sodium broth can be used as a substitute
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    I'll have to make this. I have a bunch of corn tortillas left in my fridge from when I made chips a couple of weeks ago. Sounds good.
  • SoupNazi
    Options
    I'll have to make this. I have a bunch of corn tortillas left in my fridge from when I made chips a couple of weeks ago. Sounds good.

OOh...lemme know how it turns how! I haven't made this yet but it did get very high ratings.:happy:
  • Anna_Banana
    Options
    I wish I could make it tonight, but I have a roast in the pot already. I'll probably make it Friday. I'll let you know how it is.
  • SoupNazi
    Options
    I wish I could make it tonight, but I have a roast in the pot already. I'll probably make it Friday. I'll let you know how it is.

Here...lemme take that icky old pot roast off your hands. You make the soup tonight so I know it's good and I'll eat, I mean, DISPOSE of that awful pot roast for ya.

What are friends for anyway.:bigsmile:
  • Anna_Banana
    Options
    Yeah I would let you have it, but I have some noodles I made in the freezer that I need to use up, you know the big fat chewy home made egg noodles. I may have to make some mashed taters to pore it over just to make it eddible.:bigsmile: