Healthy on the go breakfast ideas

Options
I need some cheap healthy on the go breakfast that I can take to class. Any one have some suggestions?

Replies

• fbuschur
    fbuschur Posts: 57
    Options
    I'm a big fan of bananas. And apples.
  • mycrazyturtles
    Options
    bump
  • annaasun
    annaasun Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal (brown sugar) from Jamba Juice is amazing. Its filling and only 220 calories for 12 Oz. Sometimes i dont even finish that. All they have to do is scoop it and put on the sugar. im in and out in 3 minutes with one or two other people in line in front of me.
  • Caseyanna
    Options
    I have a box of nutrigrain bars at my desk. They're my fav :)
  • vichick20
    vichick20 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    YUMMY SPICY BREAKFAST BURRITO (from hungry girl web site) :smile:

Ingredients:
    2 tsp. fat-free sour cream
    1 slice fat-free cheddar cheese
    Dash cayenne pepper
    1 slice center-cut bacon or turkey bacon
    1/4 cup sliced onion (about 1/4th of an onion)
    1/2 cup fat-free liquid egg substitute (like Egg Beaters Original)
    1 medium-large high-fiber flour tortilla with 110 calories or less (like the kinds by La Tortilla Factory)
    3 jarred jalapeño slices, chopped

Directions:
    In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine sour cream, cheese, and cayenne pepper, breaking cheese into small pieces as you add it. Stir well and set aside.

Prepare bacon in a skillet sprayed with nonstick spray or on a microwave-safe plate in the microwave. (Refer to package instructions for exact cook time and temperature.) Once cool enough to handle, roughly chop and set aside.

Bring a skillet sprayed with nonstick spray to medium heat on the stove. Add onion and, stirring occasionally, cook until slightly softened, about 3 minutes.

Add egg substitute to the skillet with the onion and scramble until fully cooked, about 3 minutes. Set aside.

Place tortilla on a microwave-safe plate and warm in the microwave, about 10 seconds. Scoop egg scramble into the center of the tortilla and set aside.

Microwave the cheese mixture for 15 seconds, or until hot. Mix well, until mostly smooth, and immediately spoon over the egg scramble.

Top with bacon and jalapeño. Wrap tortilla up like a burrito, folding the sides in first, and then rolling it up from the bottom. Place burrito seam-side down on the microwave-safe plate, and microwave for 30 seconds, or until hot.

Slice it in half or bite right in. Enjoy!

MAKES 1 SERVING

Serving Size: 1 burrito (entire recipe)
    Calories: 250
    Fat: 5g
    Sodium: 1,047mg
    Carbs: 33g
    Fiber: 6.5g
    Sugars: 5g
    Protein: 24.5g
  • moondust7
    moondust7 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    String cheese, hard-boiled eggs (boil them the night before and keep in fridge), yogurt, Kashi Go Lean cereal (it's good to eat dry too!)
  • Penelope_373
    Penelope_373 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Fresh fruit (prepare the night before if needed). I also love Greek yogurt with milled flaxseed and granola. Very filling.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I drink a protein shake for breakfast almost every day on the way to work.... I'd rather sleep until the last possible moment than make breakfast :) This is what I do for mine:

24oz Blender bottle
    1 cup silk pure almond
    2 cups cold decaf coffee (I make a pot at night and put it in the fridge)
    1 scoop trueprotein mocha java whey protein isolate
    1-2 tbs sf creamer (hazelnut, vanilla, etc)
    (sometimes 1 tbsp decaf instand espresso for stronger coffee flavor or use water to mix and add this)
    shake shake shake - lots of ice

Approx: 150 cals, 1g carb, 3g fat, 0g sugar (and it counts as 24oz fluid -- win win)

(Since you said "on the go" I did not add fage greek yogurt w/flax seed, walnuts, truvia, blueberries since I sure couldn't eat that while driving but I love it)
  • FinallyFit28
    FinallyFit28 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    carrots, cut up red bell peppers, sliced apples, grapes...
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt. not sure how long your commute is but if it is less then 45 minutes it should be good.

For work I will sometimes measure out a cup of coconut milk and a half cup of berries into a container that seals really well, I then measure out cearel into a plastic baggie and combine once I get to where I need to go

Bagel thin with cream cheese or peanut butter, just wrap it up and eat once you get there

I just bought an Oster My Blen for 20 bucks, you blend everything in the container and it comes with a lid so there is no clean up, you can do fruit smoothies or protein shakes.
  • soknurdy
    soknurdy Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    dump a whole bunch of fruits, protein powder, and soymilk or soft tofu into a blender and gooo ! (o:
  • BJPCraig
    BJPCraig Posts: 417 Member
    Options
  • mea9
    mea9 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    Chobani yogurt. Add diced peach to it = YUM
  • Christi6604
    Christi6604 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Fiber one bars - quick and filling. :)
  • eryn415
    eryn415 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    -hard boiled egg
    -yogurt with fruit and/or granola
    -banana with peanut butter or nutella on it
    -bagel thin with cream cheese, tomato and cucumber
    -Jamba Juice oatmeal !!! SO GOOD
  • Iceskatefanrn
    Iceskatefanrn Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I make these Breakfast Muffins nearly every Sunday evening, for an "on the go" breakfast during the week - I warm up one or two and eat 'em on the drive to work! You could also warm up a whole wheat tortilla with some cheese and one of these muffins for an egg burrito.

You can pretty much make the "filling" however you want - this is how I do it....

To make 12 "muffins", this is what I saute' together in a large frying pan sprayed with no-stick spray:

Chopped onion (I prefer the red/purple onion), garlic, red bell pepper, cooked broccoli and/or spinach (usually both!), "fake" sausage (I like Morningstar Farms Original Sausage Patties - I use 4 patties, they are small). I make sure everything is chopped up before I throw it in the pan.

As that's all cooking together I beat together the following: 4 whole eggs, 1 1/2 cups "All Whites" (carton egg whites, this is equivelant to 8 whole eggs), 10-12 tablespoons (approximated) skim milk. (I'm watching my egg yolk consumption, but if it's not an issue for you then you could certainly just use 12 whole eggs instead).

Spray a muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray. Put equal spoonfulls of the "filling" mixture from the frying pan into each section of the prepared muffin tin. Sprinkle with a very small amount of shredded cheese - I prefer Parmesan. Using a ladle, pour egg mixture over the filling/cheese.

I bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes until eggs are cooked through, they rise a little like mini souffle's but fall a bit after they come out of the oven. BEFORE I take 'em out I put the broiler on for 1-2 minutes to give 'em a nice browned top.

Once cooled these lift out easily with a small spatula. Because I only used 4 whole eggs for 12 "muffins", there's only 1/3 of an egg yolk in each one, but plenty of egg whites for the protein. This is a great alternative if you are keeping your egg yolk consumption down or watching cholesterol.

Yum!

:drinker:

Ice
  • bitterbrownie
    Options
    put measured amounts of cereal in containers for each day and then add a fat-free yoghurt or some fruit like blueberries =]
  • atticus84
    atticus84 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    yummy those breakfast muffins sound fantastic, kind of like an egg bake muffin style. I will definately have to make these someday. Thank you, iceskatefanrn!!! :-)
  • messyinthekitchen
    messyinthekitchen Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Cottage Cheese, Yougurt Smoothies, Fruit, Oatmeal, Boiled Eggs, Quiche